No More Video Recordings?

Just now, IllianaLancerContra said:

I’m ok with the artists getting $ from licensing, but I wonder how many ‘middlemen’ are sucking on this teat as well?  

It's middlemen all the way down.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2022 at 10:03 PM, deftguy said:

Dedicated DVD players have been replaced by Bluray players and UHD players. Bluray and UHD players also play DVD's, so there is no reason for a dedicated DVD player to exist. CD players (at least the lower and mid-priced ones) have also disappeared except at the very high end of the market. Bluray and UHD players also play CD's so there really is no real need for a dedicated CD player. 

Sony and Panasonic are the only ones left making disc players, and they are happy as heck about this. Chinese manufacturers pushed them out of the DVD player market, so both were determine to control the Bluray and UHD player market by not granting licenses to the Chinese manufacturers for use of their patents. I have over four three thousand Bluray, Bluray 3D, and UHD disc in my collection, and just purchased a new all region UHD player. When searching for a player, a UHD disc player is the only way to go at this moment. My new player can play CD, DVD, Bluray, UHD, SACD, and DVD-A disc, so I don't have to worry about supporting my huge collection. 

DVD sales have been falling since 2006, and CD's sales started tanking beginning in 2000. DVD is still the best selling disc format at the moment (mostly in third world countries), but semi-dead in Europe and North America. CD sales made a bit of a comeback during the pandemic, but that isn't saying much since digital media outsells it. I am not surprised to see DVD and CD no longer being supported. The market has been shrinking for decades, and there is no longer a way to make money off of either. 

Agree with all of this. Really good points. 

From a DCI perspective it really does not make sense to produce CDs or DVDs anymore because they don't really make money. If they did a limited run of CDs I could see that, especially if it was easier to get the rights for audio only, but even then how much money do they make? Is it even worth it when compared to the cost? 

Right now it seems DCI needs to go with a streaming model, much like they do with Flo Marching for the live broadcast and re-broadcast of shows, but it seems they have to work out the licensing and then come up with a web services method for offering that content. Could it be easier for them to do audio streaming only? Maybe. Getting the sync and mechanical licenses for audio and video might cost more. And so much of this depends on what the agreements were between the corps and the composer/copyright holder/publisher in regards to the music they used in the show. 

In my opinion two things happened that killed physical media: 1) the advancement of computer chips, memory, and faster internet/web capabilities, 2) Napster and file sharing. This would have been late 90s into 2000. 

The record companies in particular were so desperate to fight this that they gave Apple the rights to do the iTunes software and tie that in with their iPod. The iTunes library, before many others showed up, became the largest online music store in the world. The iPod method of "mp3 players" became the standard and eventually the mass market began to use the iPod or similar devices (remember the Zune?) as their main way of listening to music. Apple, in compliance with the major record labels, used a proprietary audio format (AAC, Apple Audio Codec) instead of using the more standard MP3 format to ensure that all iTunes downloads could only play on Apple devices (and you could only play on so many devices, like an iPod, Mac and eventually PC, and tablet) giving Apple a way to track the legal sale of downloads and how they could be used. This basically happened in 2001. 

It's a digital world today when it comes to audio and video and DCI will have to adapt to that. Hopefully they can do so in a way to make it profitable and worthwhile for the fans. 

Edited by jwillis35

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I’m ok with the artists getting $ from licensing, but I wonder how many ‘middlemen’ are sucking on this teat as well?  

middlemen often make more than the artists

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

Who gives a ####? 

I do.  So should anyone else who wants to see a drum corps performance after the fact.

It's 2022--attend shows, contribute to as many corps as you can, and enjoy.

I did.  I enjoyed some of these shows enough to want to see them again in the future, too.  (I should add "with sound", since you need to specify that in the Flo era.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lowend said:

I don't want CDs anymore because the majority of the shows don't make sense without the visual.  It's simply not fun to listen to most of them anymore.  

If there's a show that I particularly want to watch again there are ways to get it.

I actually am not sure I agree with this.  I feel like the best story of 2022 was more sustained and accessible melodies, as well as more drill.  In general, if feels like chop & bop ADD arranging has faded a bit (it's not dead, certainly).  I can only think of a very few shows that to me won't stand up as audio recordings.  So many ear worms from different corps still stuck in my head.  Ironically, all the staging and prop climbing have made visuals less interesting.  Few drill moves where I'm like, I gotta see that a million times.  While many marched much more drill, there aren't a lot of drill moments that stand out for me other than Phantom and then segments of a few like Blue Stars Closer, some of Crown's closing drill, and a ton of Bluecoats great visuals.  Now, if you're a guard first fan, that whole paradigm would look different of course.  All depends on tastes.

• Troopers - Great music - esp 2nd half of show
  • Colts - Enjoyable book end to end
  • Mandarins - Will be a few chunks that aren't great without visual, but majority of show has solid music and moments
  • Cavaliers - Their music was FAR better than there visual show.
  • Phantom - I'll wear this out.  Sublime musical production (if you are a brass guy or gal)
  • Blue Stars - a bit dry, but a lot of music.  No real moments I can think of that don't work without the visual
  • Cadets - I think the story & music hold up very well
  • SCV - the whole show was music driven.  All you'd really miss is the visual of the soft ending, IMO
  • Crown - Well, almost half of this show was schtick & schlock that I don't want to relive, but oh man, the other half has some sublime music - especially the ballad & closer
  • Boston - One of the drier musical productions (almost all the effect came from the guard).  Would not be high on my playlist
  • Bluecoats - Great visual accents, but the music is full of ear-worms that are still with me and will sound great.
  • Blue Devils - Visuals accented the music for BD, not the other way around.  A LOT of sustained, enjoyable melodies in this show.

On 8/18/2022 at 7:51 AM, jwillis35 said:

In my opinion two things happened that killed physical media: 1) the advancement of computer chips, memory, and faster internet/web capabilities, 2) Napster and file sharing. This would have been late 90s into 2000. 

This hurt both CD and DVD, but it didn't hurt Bluray or UHD disc. 

On 8/18/2022 at 7:51 AM, jwillis35 said:

Right now it seems DCI needs to go with a streaming model, much like they do with Flo Marching for the live broadcast and re-broadcast of shows, but it seems they have to work out the licensing and then come up with a web services method for offering that content. Could it be easier for them to do audio streaming only? Maybe.

I agree about the streaming model, this is where DCI should target. There is no inventory to store, no disc manufacturing, and no need for a distribution system aside from a website to host the content. Personally, I like having the disc. Content tends to come and go based on right to its use, and I don't want to borrow something thinking I own it. 

• Like 1