Friday, August 5th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

2 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Yeah I'm watching on my 65in screen at home. Is finals also on Flo or just the awards show?

Very good Question:  I'll email DCI.   Unfortunately the FloMarching website is very generic when it comes to this year's Championships.  They are lumping both DCI "Open Class" Competitions: "Prelims" & "Finals" on one (1) page.  They are also doing the same with the DCI "World Class" Competitions ... "Prelims" ... "Semi Finals" ... "Finals" ... all on one (1) page.

DCI does have an article "Day-by-day guide to the 2022 DCI World Championships".  While it does state "WATCH LIVE ON FLOMARCHING" ... the information is still very generic.  In fact the Flo site lists the "start time" as 10:30 PM.  

Let me see what I can find out.   As soon as I do ... I will add the information under "FloMarching" on the initial thread of each competition, which I create the morning of each competition.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NebraskaGBR said:

Very good Question:  I'll email DCI.   Unfortunately the FloMarching website is very generic when it comes to this year's Championships.  They are lumping both DCI "Open Class" Competitions: "Prelims" & "Finals" on one (1) page.  They are also doing the same with the DCI "World Class" Competitions ... "Prelims" ... "Semi Finals" ... "Finals" ... all on one (1) page.

DCI does have an article "Day-by-day guide to the 2022 DCI World Championships".  While it does state "WATCH LIVE ON FLOMARCHING" ... the information is still very generic.  In fact the Flo site lists the "start time" as 10:30 PM.  

Let me see what I can find out.   As soon as I do ... I will add the information under "FloMarching" on the initial thread of each competition, which I create the morning of each competition.

I agree on Flo it's all lumped in together so I don't actually know if finals is live BUT....I got an email not that long ago from BDPA that they are hosting a live watch party in Todos Santos Plaza in dtw Concord Sat. Aug. 15th starting at 1:30 to approx 830pm. So I'm assuming they will be using Flo for that.

3 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I agree on Flo it's all lumped in together so I don't actually know if finals is live BUT....I got an email not that long ago from BDPA that they are hosting a live watch party in Todos Santos Plaza in dtw Concord Sat. Aug. 15th starting at 1:30 to approx 830pm. So I'm assuming they will be using Flo for that.

That is so flippin cool. I've been away so long I didn't realize folks gathered to enjoy drum corps together lol.

Anyone who wants to hoof it out to the high desert, I make a mean margarita and have semi reliable internet! 😂

Wait, Crown's app actually finds your playlist? That's freaking awesome. I'm surprised no one's tried to rickroll them yet

2 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Wait, Crown's app actually finds your playlist? That's freaking awesome. I'm surprised no one's tried to rickroll them yet

I think in reality they just pick a song. Privacy etc etc. And you wouldn’t want to show up somewhere and the crowd favorite is Nickelback or something lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I think in reality they just pick a song. Privacy etc etc. And you wouldn’t want to show up somewhere and the crowd favorite is Nickelback or something lol

True. If it actually pulled from Spotify, I'd pick House Is Not A Home as a joke🙃 Still petitioning for that to be a national anthem or something

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Yeah I'm watching on my 65in screen at home. Is finals also on Flo or just the awards show?

If I am reading it correctly, dci.org has a schedule of all of Flo’s live streams and they include every competition Finals week.  Prelims, semis, and finals are listed as well as both Open Class competitions. That list has been my go to for schedules and times. 

• Like 1

Well while we wait for the show tonight...Here is some more Allentown lore...

Sometimes it takes a clear vision! 

In the beginnings of this show, around 1978, the then marketing and promotions director of DCI, unleashed a series of appearances which included downtown concerts in the months prior to this show. These appearances featured the Blue Devils, Phantom Regiment, The Cadets, Santa Clara Vanguard, and others. These local events drew a remarkable 3,000 to 4,000 spectators and were VERY popular.

Other corps appeared and were scheduled for shopping centers, nursing homes, city hall, and fireworks, etc. Drum majors were even flown in months ahead to announce the upcoming shows to the local media. 

It was a HUGE deal...and most of the other things that have occurred over the years like tailgating parties etc. all pretty much happened organically...

• Like 5