Friday, August 5th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

3 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

Do they male guard members of BAC oil themselves, or were they just sweating from the humidity?

I think the shirtless bit is completely unnecessary and vulgar  …  but I think it’s sweat  

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

Do they male guard members of BAC oil themselves, or were they just sweating from the humidity?

Earlier in post someone mentioned that it was around 83% humidity.

14 minutes ago, Bronte44 said:

Just one very small person’s opinion here (not worth a whole lot), but I think that as far as content, the Blue Devil’s show has the potential to score the highest, especially musically.  That’s why they are able to be a little dirty at times and still score higher than the other corps.  Boston, for instance, has to be completely clean to beat a slightly dirty Blue Devils.  I haven’t seen a completely clean performance from Blue Devils yet, but the level of show design difficulty keeps them ahead.  I know, I know…some of y’all are impressed by flashy apps and narration, but it’s the meat and potatoes that count. Substance over style, if you will.  Blue Devils has the substance.  Overall, a very enjoyable season.  Lucky us!  Oh, and sometimes it really hard to tell when you are watching from home if sound issues are the corps or have to do with Flo.  I’ve been to 3 live shows and it’s a completely different experience.  I’m going to be at Indy and I just can’t wait 😛 

I would add to this that Boston has to perform their show with 100% intensity or it doesn’t work. The first half of the season, their show didn’t grab me at all. It just seemed to lay there, but then something started happening in TX and it became a completely different, riveting animal.

Tonight it felt like early season again. If they don’t put the fire in, it doesn’t engage.

In contrast, BD has such deep content layering that, even on a flat night, there is just so much in it visually and musically that it will still communicate. Their staff filled the show with fail-safe moments as insurance.

Next week they are in their comfort zone with the indoor rehearsal space at the end of the week, so tonight may have been the best chance to knock Blue Kong off the Empire State Building.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I am so glad I marched when I did.  I was only 15 and 16 in Freelancers in 83 and 84 in the rifle line and I would have freaked out if I had to do the show with no shirt and tights or spandex shorts.  I was 6 ft tall and weighed maybe 136 pounds.  I do think some of these guard unis (and corps unis in general) are a bit questionable.  I will say I admire their confidence, but I can tell these guys in BD and BAC's guards are not 15.  I had just turned 15 July 6 in 1983 so I was young compared to the top 8 corps' members these days.

Edited by jmc5682
grammar
  • Like 1

Interesting that 3 of the 4 GE judges had Bloo over BAC in performance.  I think I would have to agree with that tonite.

Edited by 27Socal
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CAtenhut said:

What tonight's scores show:

1. Academy definitely showed huge improvement tonight. Brass easily had their best performance of the season, so passing Music City is not a surprise. 

2. Colts are the real deal and have a great chance making finals for the first time in 20 years. And I really hope they do!

3. Blue Knights are not making that final 2 week surge that they usually do to push them well into the top 12. They are gonna have to fight til the end if they want to perform next Saturday.

4. The top 10 is pretty much set in stone and Mandarins and Phantom, along with Blue Stars and Cavies, are in a great battle for 7-10 (I think Cadets have 6th locked up).

5. Bluecoats did not have a great performance tonight but they're still right there, so don't count them out for silver just yet.

6. Boston and BD didn't have their best performances either, but it's clear who the better corps is. Boston is going to have to be perfect to beat BD next week.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! And Indy is a week away!!!!

I was at the show tonight lower section 50 yard line and you made a great assessment. 
Boston had to Absolutely slay it tonight and they did not buy a long shot. That might give them some nice fire going in the Thursday feeling like they missed their shot (no pun intended ) in Allentown to slay a performance so they will be jacked up in Indy …

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Bronte44 said:

No, I think this is an important topic!  Some of the content in this show is definitely pushing the limit of good taste and being family friendly.  I feel uncomfortable watching certain parts of this show and I would have been really unhappy with the subject matter had I brought my son when he was a middle schooler falling in love with drum corps to see this performance.  Not to take away from the performers who perform at such a high level one and all.

Both the perspective of performer consent and offense to audience are valid, somewhat overlapping topics valid for discussion, it seems. @scheherazadesghostseems right that the best answer is to design away from these risks, but there is a balance with the freedom to artistically explore a theme. As this is a youth education activity, for me the primary value is ensuring an environment safe for performers and audience members - but the latter is admittedly harder to assess ahead of time.

There is more I could attempt say but recognize my qualifications to speak on this are limited. I will do my best to participate respectfully if a new topic is opened. 

• Like 1