Friday, August 5th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

Bluecoats are a feisty adversary being solid in all captions, the more they take away from BAC, the more it widens the gap between them and BD,  and that’s without including Crown and SCV when it comes to the *UNREAL* tussles that occur in the music caption👀Crown may outperform BAC visually, and maybe steal a judge or two in GE, so as many have said previously, I don’t envy the judges come a week from now…

• Like 3

Interesting question for Sat (tomorrow).  If the 2nd MA judge shows up,  will he/she be judging?   If yes,  then technically this would not be the same judging panel for both nights?   Is this kinda important because the performance order on Thurs depends on the Allentown scores being used as part of the average?

18 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

🤣🤣🤣💀

This is great!   This is a real twitter account.   Is J. Missing  friends with OrangeCone on twitter?

10 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

Interesting question for Sat (tomorrow).  If the 2nd MA judge shows up,  will he/she be judging?   If yes,  then technically this would not be the same judging panel for both nights?   Is this kinda important because the performance order on Thurs depends on the Allentown scores being used as part of the average?

I'm pretty sure same panel on the same captions, so not sure they would allow the 2nd MA judge just for tomorrow, altho not sure what would've happened if that 2nd judge was there tonight and then got sick tomorrow. So in other words... I don't know.

But remember, that 2nd MA judge means MA scores are averaged and then divided by 2, so it wouldn't make THAT much of a difference in the end. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

I would add to this that Boston has to perform their show with 100% intensity or it doesn’t work. The first half of the season, their show didn’t grab me at all. It just seemed to lay there, but then something started happening in TX and it became a completely different, riveting animal.

Tonight it felt like early season again. If they don’t put the fire in, it doesn’t engage.

In contrast, BD has such deep content layering that, even on a flat night, there is just so much in it visually and musically that it will still communicate. Their staff filled the show with fail-safe moments as insurance.

Next week they are in their comfort zone with the indoor rehearsal space at the end of the week, so tonight may have been the best chance to knock Blue Kong off the Empire State Building.

Yes, yes, yes!  Thank you for expanding on my thoughts so eloquently 😁

38 minutes ago, old drmmjr said:

Phantom built up a huge electric moment, and it seemed every was just "meh" after them. I'm sure there are those who will say "oh they just play loud" and maybe, but the crowd ate it up with a knife and fork. It's what most fans want from drum corps and are missing these days. 

…and this is why Phantom fandom endures

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

Good point. IMO, J. Missing should make another appearance in the Music Analysis caption tomorrow night. 

Yeah,  BAC had too many 3rds in their row in the recap.  Kind of a bad night for them.

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, old drmmjr said:

I was there, high up in the stands. You are correct. Phantom built up a huge electric moment, and it seemed every was just "meh" after them. I'm sure there are those who will say "oh they just play loud" and maybe, but the crowd ate it up with a knife and fork. It's what most fans want from drum corps and are missing these days. 

They also had the biggest and quickest standing ovation of the night!

Phantom always performs beautiful and classic drum corps shows, but you do know that any of the top five ranking corps could learn their show in a week and perform it at an extremely high level in two, right?

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, lyndakay27 said:

I would guess front ensemble. Their battery has been hot all along. 

I think the battery had a bad night.  Go back and replay their show and listen for the snare dirt, especially when they are up near the front side line.  I heard things in there that were not a problem over the last couple of weeks.

• Like 1