Friday, August 5th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

22 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Covid still exists 

The fact that dci has no judges on standby at the last regional is a knock on their credibility 

58 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

😬😂 

Vienna beef dog, mustard, neon green relish, sliced tomatoes halves, pickle spear, sport peppers, celery salt.  Poppyseed bun.  I don’t like raw onion but most people like that on the dog in Chicago. 

Poppyseed bun and celery salt are game changers

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

Exactly! Hunts sucks! Heinz rules. I hate when I go some where and they have hunts. I'll just skip it.

Probably could do an entire thread on ketchup versus catsup. 🤔

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Um, yeah. No offense, but I would trust the opinion of qualified judges over yours, or mine. Like I said, I'm with you with - I don't see it, but I do see that I'm not a judge. I've spent too many years getting upset over the scoring and placements. When I realized I have no idea what I'm talking about regarding that, I found peace.

That is a great point. The Visual judge used to go backfield while judging and get a whole different perspective than what we spectators in the stands were getting. Somewhat the same as standing down on the field right in front of a corps. You will see and hear different things from that perspective.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     But then again, the judges in the stands are getting our view, but they still could be seeing and viewing different things than we are at any given time. They might even hear what we hear but in a different way with their more trained ears.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, denmum said:

But then again, the judges in the stands are getting our view, but they still could be seeing and viewing different things than we are at any given time. They might even hear what we hear but in a different way with their more trained ears.

Exactly. And, they are trained on what to listen to. They have the knowledge, experience, and expertise that we just don't have to assign their numbers.

I used to think it was more about politics than performance, but I've wised up. I really don't think judges are going to deny 150 kids the placement they should get due to politics or some other malicious reason.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Exactly. And, they are trained on what to listen to. They have the knowledge, experience, and expertise that we just don't have to assign their numbers.

I used to think it was more about politics than performance, but I've wised up. I really don't think judges are going to deny 150 kids the placement they should get due to politics or some other malicious reason.

I quote the great Eddie Fogler every dci season around this time:

Every official knows who is supposed to win.

55 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

ketchup only goes on hot dogs if you're 7 years old or younger

I would think most people know it's MUCH different in person than on video AND different on the sidelines than in the press box. BD visual program and detailing is second to none. But it is drum & bugle corps, not a dance troop. BD was over-rewarded for wicked clean (sometimes out of tune) brass & (relatively easy compared to Coats or Boston) percussion. The members are terrific but the design feels very stale and fairly unemotional.

I think unemotional isn’t a fair assessment. Make no mistake, this is far from my favorite BD show but it’s the best of a fairly mediocre roster of programs on the field this year. I had a feeling this year was going to be a little bit odd, coming out of Covid or at least pretending to. All of the groups had to make calculations in terms of programming. With the extended lapse in seasons, along with the possibility that there would be more Covid-related disruptions, and a very “green” pool of performers, what do you do? Staffs couldn’t even count on the kids being as physically fit as normal due to lockdowns. I think most opted for a “pump the brakes” approach. Probably a smart move. Assuming we could put Covid in the rearview mirror next year, I think we might see a return to “normalcy” in terms of programming and more aggressive demand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I've agreed with the judging community almost entirely - I do find some things a bit odd, mostly they're just a one off. And very rarely do I disagree materially with the results. 2007 and 2011 are two such years. In a spectator "sport" ultimately everyone judges what they're seeing. I'm certain the judges do this with great intent - maybe my issue is more with the sheets. Never liked the GE1 GE2 thing, didn't like the original explanation of it & haven't been won over since. BUT wasn't that a GREAT night of drum corps?

2007? Wow. Did you attend at Pasadena? I know it was close that year, but I think the right group won that night. Loved Crown’s show that year, a real crowd favorite.