Visual Judging - how?

So I have a question regarding how visual is judged from not only a technical achievement standpoint but also a design standpoint.  If one corps uses a lot of traditional drill and minimal staging How do judges judge that compared to a corps that does a lot of staging and minimal traditional drill ? 
again from both a technical and design standpoint?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

So I have a question regarding how visual is judged from not only a technical achievement standpoint but also a design standpoint.  If one corps uses a lot of traditional drill and minimal staging How do judges judge that compared to a corps that does a lot of staging and minimal traditional drill ? 

Great question that needs to be asked. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

You answered your own question (traditional drill and minimal staging) is not awarded based on the following criteria. Visual Proficiency - Content and achievement. Visual Proficiency - Composition and achievement. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

You answered your own question (traditional drill and minimal staging) is not awarded based on the following criteria. Visual Proficiency - Content and achievement. Visual Proficiency - Composition and achievement. 

I've always looked at the sheets with this context? (tilts head) 🧐 

Rep: (content) = subjective > objective

Perf: (execution) = objective < subjective

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

What is meant by "staging"? IMO it's all staging, just some corps are better at it than others. What I see in today's design is how you get to that staged point. For example, if the trumpets are needed at a specific place on the field do they use traditional drill and march or use the current trend of having them walk/run? Perhaps I am showing my age, but the first option would seem to me to show more design skill and should be rewarded as such.  

Edited by DAvery
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, DAvery said:

What is meant by "staging"? IMO it's all staging, just some corps are better at it than others. What I see in today's design is how you get to that staged point. For example, if the trumpets are needed at a specific place on the field do they use traditional drill and march or use the current trend of having them walk/run? Perhaps I am showing my age, but the first option would seem to me to show more design skill and should be rewarded as such.  

Agree with your final statement. 

• Like 1

This caption was once called M&M..not the candy but marching and maneuvering, It's was for formations, are the members in step and how as a unit does it look. That of course is out the door. How well the corp moves is probably still judged but also how well does the corp transition from one phase to another. Obviously, this is not marching and playing anymore...it's running into place and moving things on the field to the next part of their show. 

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

I've always looked at the sheets with this context? (tilts head) 🧐 

Rep: (content) = subjective > objective

Perf: (execution) = objective < subjective

yeah, but numbers really don't agree with this. Case in point - percussion content last night.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

How well the corp moves is probably still judged but also how well does the corp transition from one phase to another

well now all one needs to do is scatter hop & skip to your next idea - drill transitions are way 2 weeks ago

• Haha 4