Visual Judging - how?

14 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

You said it right. It's 2022 and this is drum corp. No more military style marching. 

For an entire show anyways. Corps can and do show off more traditional marching as it's a different skill set to show off. Judges love seeing variety of skills being displayed, not just the same thing over and over.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 10:18 AM, DFA1970 said:

You said it right. It's 2022 and this is drum corp. No more military style marching. 

and the activity is much the lesser for it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/6/2022 at 10:04 AM, George Dixon said:

well now all one needs to do is scatter hop & skip to your next idea - drill transitions are way 2 weeks ago

This is very much the nail on the head.  It used to be staging meant presentation of voices of visual moments incorporated into the overall drill movement, well thought out and designed as an equal component of the overall visual package.  Think Michael Gaines and the Cavies, George Zingali and Cadets (triangles)  constant flow and movement with transitions;  that are not what we see today which is random mm movement from a stage position to another stage position.  That’s a stage, not staging as it once was.  And it now diminishes content and disregards achievement.  Body moves and dance moves have taken the place of content as we knew it, and it’s called difficulty as well.   I can appreciate what is performed today, but I miss well thought out designed transitions contributing to an entire visual performance. Just my $.02.

Edited by LabMaster
  • Like 3