Saturday, August 6th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

3 hours ago, Poppycock said:

BD has broken a lot of hearts on finals night. You can count on this, BD will get their 20th if not this season, then the next, and if not the next, the following season. Don’t ever underestimate BD. 

Wherein lies the problem with DCI. No parity in money spent on props, accommodations, rehearsal time vs performance time. , etc. You are winding up with an uncompetitive organization dominated by the haves at the expense of the have nots. No different than the problems in non-professional sports. Just different in what us out of wack. 

44 minutes ago, karuna said:

Standing still (or climbing or whatever) on a prop is exactly the same as standing still on the grass.  NO VISUAL CREDIT.  But alas I am now officially an old fart I guess.

869gy9L.png

Disagree — any additional athletic element is adding a strain on the performer that isn’t there if they’re “just standing still.” And if you’re  “just standing still” between bouts of sprinting, and have to suddenly control your breathing to deliver a clean musical phrase where we cannot tell that you’ve just been sprinting, that’s also an added athletic element. If you’re out there basically doing High Intensity Interval Training between stretches of blowing into a horn, that’s not easy.

I get liking or disliking props/scatters/sprinting etc. but I really do wish we’d all separate that from the question of what’s physically challenging or not. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brians said:

Also interested to see what the Cavaliers score. Do they maintain their essentially 1 pt. lead over the Mandarins and Phantom??

But you are looking in the wrong direction.. Cavies will pass either BS or Cadets , and maybe both. There is plenty of room for them to jump ahead of them but still be behind SCV. Never underestimate the Cavies. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dureau said:

Wherein lies the problem with DCI. No parity in money spent on props, accommodations, rehearsal time vs performance time. , etc. You are winding up with an uncompetitive organization dominated by the haves at the expense of the have nots. No different than the problems in non-professional sports. Just different in what us out of wack. 

It’s the game all the organizations agreed and chose to play. Don’t hate the players, hate the game! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I get liking or disliking props/scatters/sprinting etc. but I really do wish we’d all separate that from the question of what’s physically challenging or not. 

And I wish we would separate in regards to the visual presentation what is individually physically challenging and ensemble physically challenging. The latter component is what many believe what is missing. 

5 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Because that's the way they chose to schedule their season. Cadets didn't start until a week later than everyone else in their current tier. How's that any different?

It’s not any different. I’m arguing parity not differences. Rules that give all the corps a better chance at the prize. 

14 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

It’s the game all the organizations agreed and chose to play. Don’t hate the players, hate the game! 

No one hates period. DCI is the problem not the players. But it’s still not hate, it’s constructive criticism of DCI regardless of who makes the rules of the game. Which is the corp leaders not gathering corp members.

9 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Perfect practice makes perfect performances! 😎

Perfectly equal performance requirements and rehearsal time makes competition. 

23 minutes ago, dureau said:

But you are looking in the wrong direction.. Cavies will pass either BS or Cadets , and maybe both. There is plenty of room for them to jump ahead of them but still be behind SCV. Never underestimate the Cavies. 

No, Im looking in the right direction..... clearly straight ahead.  Im not looking in the back seat for anyone or anything... The only thing you get when distracted with something in the back seat and not keeping  your eyes on the road ahead of you is an accident/crash!!!!!!!!!   Good luck to the Cavies, hope they are able to hold their own and come out on top of the Mandarin, Phantom,  Cavies battle.

9 hours ago, dureau said:

It’s actually annoying that the Blue Devils continue to win due to a lack of parity in DCI. How come Blue Devils are not performing this coming week until Indianapolis? They rehearse more then they perform. Everyone else is performing this week. 

The lack of parity is due to lack of parity in staff quality and finances 

If Crown’s or Bloo’s, etc etc staff were of the same skill set and experience as BD’s and if the corps had the same financial strength that the BD organization has, they’d be able to also have the same amount of rehearsal time and improvement that BD has. I don’t see either of these issues being solved anytime soon in all honesty, especially the staff talent parity.