Saturday, August 6th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

I think she has nightmares from the last time she left me alone in a city with friends. Just think of Al Bundy and his NO MAAM Crew. LMAO. I tried telling her it wasn't that bad. She said the bail money says otherwise. LMAO. 

In all seriousness, safe travels and enjoy your time in Indy!!

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

We call it ‘Whack a Crownie’ you play at home on your TV screen too with a nerf hammer. They stand still and play for over a minute under fabric. We have a blast 💥 with it. 

It's a giant blancmange from the Planet Skyron, and it plans to win Wimbledon.

BountifulMiserlyAustralianfurseal-size_r

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

In all seriousness, safe travels and enjoy your time in Indy!!

Thanks brother!

My first post in a few years to weigh in on my first live show in just as long.

To say I missed live drum corps would be an understatement.  While theater broadcasts and FloMarching help scratch the itch during the season, they really don't do the shows any justice.  This activity is simply meant to be taken in live.

Bucs - Somewhat biased since we have a student in the bass line, but I thought they could more than hang with many of the later corps.

Genesis - Most surprising corps of the night for me. Thoroughly enjoyed the concept and thought they'd be much closer to PC.

Surf - Not my cup of tea, but fun.  I'm usually leery of a ton of pop tunes but they pulled it off.

Pacific Crest - Loved the concept.  Loved the call backs.  Liked the show.

Scouts - Remember watching them and being in awe of how they're not even close to making finals.  Really, really dug their show.

Troopers - Hands down the show I most enjoyed.  Concept fully fleshed out and just really, really well done.  Hope to see them continue this trend and get back into the Top 12.

Bones - Unfortunately had to pee, but they sounded great from the endzone.

Cavies - First hornline of the evening that put me on notice.  A little kitschy at times, but enjoyable.

Blue Stars - Holy crap has this corps come a long way.  A little over-designed IMO, but very well executed.

Cadets - Are and always will be my corps, and while the concept isn't something that naturally pulls me in, their performance did.  Sound issues were unfortunate, but I feel like they're getting some swagger back.

Vanguard - Feel this is a show best seen from up high, so felt like i was missing out on some stuff, but man... they're just good.  Would love to see them make a move on Bloo going into finals.

Crown - Classic Crown.  Ears hurt at the end, but in a good way.  The app thing is gimmicky as hell and doesn't bring anything to the experience but the overall show was just... classic Crown.

J. Birney Crum Stadium - This venue is officially getting by on nostalgia alone.  The PA system is flat-out terrible.  Make sure you get a program, because that's the only way you'll know who's coming on the field and what their show is.  Don't bother sticking around for scores, because you'll barely hear them.  Seating in the lower premium section (at least in G) is a free for all.  Bleachers have no seat numbers, so folks are (rightfully) getting ###### that there isn't room where the ushers think their seats *should* be.  You're essentially paying top dollar for the show and then have to play the Southwest Airlines game of checking in early to get the best spot.  We bought 6 tickets.  One person had to back out last minute and it was probably for the best because we barely had room for the 5 that did go.

This is a 2-night, regional event.  DCI should be embarrassed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just want to say that with all the emphasis on drill vs. body movement, the Cadets have done a fantastic job of utilizing both to their advantage...These members are dancing their ##### off and at the most unexpected moments..The drill portion is straight up Cadets...nobody does it better(well BD is world champ so I take liberty)..With the exception of a couple transitions (you know where and when), they made me forget 2019 and indeed put it ,in the here it comes:REAR VIEW MIRROR....peace

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

Just want to say that with all the emphasis on drill vs. body movement, the Cadets have done a fantastic job of utilizing both to their advantage...These members are dancing their ##### off and at the most unexpected moments..The drill portion is straight up Cadets...nobody does it better(well BD is world champ so I take liberty)..With the exception of a couple transitions (you know where and when), they made me forget 2019 and indeed put it ,in the here it comes:REAR VIEW MIRROR....peace

I agree, love Cadets use of body this year, especially in moments where you don’t expect it. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

My first post in a few years to weigh in on my first live show in just as long.

To say I missed live drum corps would be an understatement.  While theater broadcasts and FloMarching help scratch the itch during the season, they really don't do the shows any justice.  This activity is simply meant to be taken in live.

Bucs - Somewhat biased since we have a student in the bass line, but I thought they could more than hang with many of the later corps.

Genesis - Most surprising corps of the night for me. Thoroughly enjoyed the concept and thought they'd be much closer to PC.

Surf - Not my cup of tea, but fun.  I'm usually leery of a ton of pop tunes but they pulled it off.

Pacific Crest - Loved the concept.  Loved the call backs.  Liked the show.

Scouts - Remember watching them and being in awe of how they're not even close to making finals.  Really, really dug their show.

Troopers - Hands down the show I most enjoyed.  Concept fully fleshed out and just really, really well done.  Hope to see them continue this trend and get back into the Top 12.

Bones - Unfortunately had to pee, but they sounded great from the endzone.

Cavies - First hornline of the evening that put me on notice.  A little kitschy at times, but enjoyable.

Blue Stars - Holy crap has this corps come a long way.  A little over-designed IMO, but very well executed.

Cadets - Are and always will be my corps, and while the concept isn't something that naturally pulls me in, their performance did.  Sound issues were unfortunate, but I feel like they're getting some swagger back.

Vanguard - Feel this is a show best seen from up high, so felt like i was missing out on some stuff, but man... they're just good.  Would love to see them make a move on Bloo going into finals.

Crown - Classic Crown.  Ears hurt at the end, but in a good way.  The app thing is gimmicky as hell and doesn't bring anything to the experience but the overall show was just... classic Crown.

J. Birney Crum Stadium - This venue is officially getting by on nostalgia alone.  The PA system is flat-out terrible.  Make sure you get a program, because that's the only way you'll know who's coming on the field and what their show is.  Don't bother sticking around for scores, because you'll barely hear them.  Seating in the lower premium section (at least in G) is a free for all.  Bleachers have no seat numbers, so folks are (rightfully) getting ###### that there isn't room where the ushers think their seats *should* be.  You're essentially paying top dollar for the show and then have to play the Southwest Airlines game of checking in early to get the best spot.  We bought 6 tickets.  One person had to back out last minute and it was probably for the best because we barely had room for the 5 that did go.

This is a 2-night, regional event.  DCI should be embarrassed.

So where do you want a regional on the east coast...that lovely concrete mess... MetLife Stadium in NJersey? I like the fact with problems that it's a small venue and keep it at that. 95 percent of people have smart phone so no issue who is coming on and what time they are coming out. Not an issue. But love your review of the show...

1 minute ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I agree, love Cadets use of body this year, especially in moments where you don’t expect it. 

Brooklyn is represented well saxfreq." We have the Meats"..lol..peace

• Like 1

Can’t tell you how sad it makes me that BK could very likely miss finals this season. Hopefully they can pull it together and come back roaring next season to take their place where they belong. Design was a huge let down this year.

• Like 3