Saturday, August 6th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

5 hours ago, henry7184 said:

It's all good. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day. This is an example were I should have just observed rather than participated. 

I'll admit some conversations or debates get exhausting but as long as it doesn't go personal, participate! Observe when you want but don't ever feel bad about participating even if you're the odd man out in the conversation. That's the whole point of a forum anyways. I know you don't have this issue but just throwing it out there anyways.

• Like 2

ok quick thoughts...i thought Crown brought it hard. SCV i liked but..kinda left me flat. Caets have come a long way but at times the narration made me think of Bloo. Blue Stars are performing very well, but show leaves me flat. Cavies fun, but i liked the first half better than the back half.

Crossmen...i want to love them. i so do...but i just cant get into this show. and IMO i think the score is too high

Troop lit the joint up, and i love the show..scores being where they are confuzzzle me. Madison also brought it, and the score seems low. Pac Crest has moments i love, and it has moments of "why haul all that and not use it all?" I really enjoyed Genesis and Surf...man if Surf had say 20 more horns...oof.

and as mentioned earlier, the kidlet loved the Crown app, though she thought it sat dark too long in spots ( shout out to the Crown alum who bought her a shirt...paying it forward Miranda like we all did for you!) after 2 long nights of drum corps live, she loved it. she was even bugging me to pull the recaps up. God help me...my mini me is getting hooked!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and as mentioned earlier, the kidlet loved the Crown app, though she thought it sat dark too long in spots ( shout out to the Crown alum who bought her a shirt...paying it forward Miranda like we all did for you!) after 2 long nights of drum corps live, she loved it. she was even bugging me to pull the recaps up. God help me...my mini me is getting hooked!

Yesss! Love to see some new blood in the DCI fandom💜🖤❤️

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Any differences in spreads are due to different environmental conditions, not the judging itself.  

In Pittsburgh just one night later, when Troopers matched with BK, their score dropped a point and they fell behind BK, who they led at Allentown despite being on different nights. 

Could it be environmental conditions, a bad run, or other causes? Of course. But it sure is curious...

29 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

In Pittsburgh just one night later, when Troopers matched with BK, their score dropped a point and they fell behind BK, who they led at Allentown despite being on different nights. 

Could it be environmental conditions, a bad run, or other causes? Of course. But it sure is curious...

Different judging panel? The world may never know 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

ok quick thoughts...i thought Crown brought it hard. SCV i liked but..kinda left me flat. Caets have come a long way but at times the narration made me think of Bloo. Blue Stars are performing very well, but show leaves me flat. Cavies fun, but i liked the first half better than the back half.

Crossmen...i want to love them. i so do...but i just cant get into this show. and IMO i think the score is too high

Troop lit the joint up, and i love the show..scores being where they are confuzzzle me. Madison also brought it, and the score seems low. Pac Crest has moments i love, and it has moments of "why haul all that and not use it all?" I really enjoyed Genesis and Surf...man if Surf had say 20 more horns...oof.

I have been thinking the same thing about Pacific crest since June. Kept waiting for them to do something with all the props. Still very little use of, or even acknowledgment of them visually. A very curious choice, when you have opportunities to enhance your program “burning a hole” in the visual sight lines. Worse yet, you have the crowd, and almost certainly the judges, checking them out and wondering when they will be used. Well, there’s a couple of days left so there is hope. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

I am confused. Are you saying placements should not change from night to night or show to show? If that its the case, why not have one show in the middle of the country on July 25 and then everyone go home. Save everyone money on gas and housing.

Blue Knights are not going to beat Crown. That its not possible given show design, staff, and talent level. But I fully expect the Troopers, Colts, Blue Knights, Crossmen tier to switch spots multiple times between tonight and Fri/Sat.

Z

• Haha 1

Did anyone in attendance happen to notice Bones leaving the field shortly after the Crossmen began their show? He seemed to be walking gingerly and kind of bent over.

Then a woman met him at the gate and she locked arms with him and seemed to help him walk and they disappeared between some of the port-o-johns.

I am hoping he was/is okay.

30 minutes ago, MikeZ said:

I am confused. Are you saying placements should not change from night to night or show to show? If that its the case, why not have one show in the middle of the country on July 25 and then everyone go home. Save everyone money on gas and housing.

Blue Knights are not going to beat Crown. That its not possible given show design, staff, and talent level. But I fully expect the Troopers, Colts, Blue Knights, Crossmen tier to switch spots multiple times between tonight and Fri/Sat.

Z

Yes, you got it. That's exactly what I'm saying. Let's implement your proposition of one show in the middle of the country on July 25. Brilliant. You clearly understand.

On 8/7/2022 at 9:48 AM, chaddyt said:

My first post in a few years to weigh in on my first live show in just as long.

To say I missed live drum corps would be an understatement.  While theater broadcasts and FloMarching help scratch the itch during the season, they really don't do the shows any justice.  This activity is simply meant to be taken in live.

Bucs - Somewhat biased since we have a student in the bass line, but I thought they could more than hang with many of the later corps.

Genesis - Most surprising corps of the night for me. Thoroughly enjoyed the concept and thought they'd be much closer to PC.

Surf - Not my cup of tea, but fun.  I'm usually leery of a ton of pop tunes but they pulled it off.

Pacific Crest - Loved the concept.  Loved the call backs.  Liked the show.

Scouts - Remember watching them and being in awe of how they're not even close to making finals.  Really, really dug their show.

Troopers - Hands down the show I most enjoyed.  Concept fully fleshed out and just really, really well done.  Hope to see them continue this trend and get back into the Top 12.

Bones - Unfortunately had to pee, but they sounded great from the endzone.

Cavies - First hornline of the evening that put me on notice.  A little kitschy at times, but enjoyable.

Blue Stars - Holy crap has this corps come a long way.  A little over-designed IMO, but very well executed.

Cadets - Are and always will be my corps, and while the concept isn't something that naturally pulls me in, their performance did.  Sound issues were unfortunate, but I feel like they're getting some swagger back.

Vanguard - Feel this is a show best seen from up high, so felt like i was missing out on some stuff, but man... they're just good.  Would love to see them make a move on Bloo going into finals.

Crown - Classic Crown.  Ears hurt at the end, but in a good way.  The app thing is gimmicky as hell and doesn't bring anything to the experience but the overall show was just... classic Crown.

J. Birney Crum Stadium - This venue is officially getting by on nostalgia alone.  The PA system is flat-out terrible.  Make sure you get a program, because that's the only way you'll know who's coming on the field and what their show is.  Don't bother sticking around for scores, because you'll barely hear them.  Seating in the lower premium section (at least in G) is a free for all.  Bleachers have no seat numbers, so folks are (rightfully) getting ###### that there isn't room where the ushers think their seats *should* be.  You're essentially paying top dollar for the show and then have to play the Southwest Airlines game of checking in early to get the best spot.  We bought 6 tickets.  One person had to back out last minute and it was probably for the best because we barely had room for the 5 that did go.

This is a 2-night, regional event.  DCI should be embarrassed.

do you propose a new venue...and that has turf? don't say the Linc or Baltimore won't happen then. Same for Chester. Meadowlands...cost. won't get the USBands break. Syracuse...logistical and acoustic nightmare. Rutgers logistical nightmare.

sadly the region is not loaded with activity friendly venues for a show this size. Hershey drew 25% the fans to see EWF and Santanna Saturday and made 80% more money than DCI would bring them