Saturday, August 6th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

28 minutes ago, MikeZ said:

I understand the issues and limitations of JBC. But as someone who waited 24 years to get back there, I had a blast this weekend. The bathroom situation is awful, the bleachers suck, parking is difficult, etc and I didn't care one bit. I can see if you attend Allentown annually how that stuff could get tiresome. I loved that i got to take my wife on her first trip to Allentown. We sat in row 2 between the 45 and 50, ate funnel cakes, watched Tony try to tell the PA announcer when to talk and not talk, got overwhelmed by Crowns hornline, and basically had what will be the best weekend of the year for me. 

Z

I think you summed it up nicely, MikeZ.  One factor few ever consider is the huge amount of money being saved by having the event at Allentown as compared to any “Pro Football type” venue.

As a DCI Regional, all net income after operating expenses eventually goes back to the corps. For all its warts, Allentown produces considerably more money to each corps. Why?

Lower facility rent (very much lower).  Staffing all done by an experienced local committee of volunteers, about 75 people. No outrageous requirements as to required staff at very high union scale (Philadelphia, in example).

Besides, it’s actually not too difficult to find free spectator parking at Allentown, compared to $25-30 per night at a major facility. Food and drink prices MUCH less expensive in Allentown, too.

I estimate each DCI corps comes out of the Allentown Regional with between $10-15 thousand dollars MORE per year!

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Lehigh’ s football stadium has no lights and is natural grass. I live across the street from the athletic complex.  A more newly renovated, wonderful stadium can be found 15 miles east of Lehigh at Lafayette College.  It has plenty of seats, new lights, artificial turf, no track so the corps are closer to fans.  

BUT . . . .

The the parking situation for fans is even worse than Allentown!  Bus, truck parking almost non-existent.  P. S. - it’s been thoroughly analyzed already. 😉

*pours one out for Bethlehem Steel FC* 😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DWW11 said:

####.  Forgot about the lights!  There has to be SOMEWHERE they could do this, if not allentown proper!

closest is probably Hershey without trying to dive into pro or major college stadiums.

we don't grow football campuses here like Texas. and in the Northeast we like our football in the great outdoors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

I think you summed it up nicely, MikeZ.  One factor few ever consider is the huge amount of money being saved by having the event at Allentown as compared to any “Pro Football type” venue.

As a DCI Regional, all net income after operating expenses eventually goes back to the corps. For all its warts, Allentown produces considerably more money to each corps. Why?

Lower facility rent (very much lower).  Staffing all done by an experienced local committee of volunteers, about 75 people. No outrageous requirements as to required staff at very high union scale (Philadelphia, in example).

Besides, it’s actually not too difficult to find free spectator parking at Allentown, compared to $25-30 per night at a major facility. Food and drink prices MUCH less expensive in Allentown, too.

I estimate each DCI corps comes out of the Allentown Regional with between $10-15 thousand dollars MORE per year!

I get it, and, of course, you nailed it.  I am just sad that it has become such a chore for me to attend. JBC is definitely a challenge for those with mobility issues. 

Arriving late to the 1 show - 2 show debate... many good points.

I would summarize it like this.  Look at dci.org, and they present Allentown as two events.  There are two sets of results, two recaps, therefore they are two separate shows.  If it was really one contest, the results would be presented as one set of results.  Obviously, they are doing a lot to make the scores between them close to comparable (for seeding purposes).  But they are not locking judges into the accountability of scoring both nights as a single event.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DWW11 said:

I get it, and, of course, you nailed it.  I am just sad that it has become such a chore for me to attend. JBC is definitely a challenge for those with mobility issues. 

i saw several folks get golf cart rides up the hill, and they weren't VIP's. may be something to explore

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Arriving late to the 1 show - 2 show debate... many good points.

I would summarize it like this.  Look at dci.org, and they present Allentown as two events.  There are two sets of results, two recaps, therefore they are two separate shows.  If it was really one contest, the results would be presented as one set of results.  Obviously, they are doing a lot to make the scores between them close to comparable (for seeding purposes).  But they are not locking judges into the accountability of scoring both nights as a single event.

well, as it is the same panel both nights...they know what they gave the night before, and its usually a finals week panel. so they are doing all they can, and knowing some people that worked it, their numbers from the night before are definitely in their minds 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Lehigh’ s football stadium has no lights and is natural grass. I live across the street from the athletic complex.  A more newly renovated, wonderful stadium can be found 15 miles east of Lehigh at Lafayette College.  It has plenty of seats, new lights, artificial turf, no track so the corps are closer to fans.  

BUT . . . .

The the parking situation for fans is even worse than Allentown!  Bus, truck parking almost non-existent.  P. S. - it’s been thoroughly analyzed already. 😉

Lafayette reminds me of Princeton, NJ. Great stadium, awesome college town with restaurants, pubs, etc., plenty of nearby hotels... but no good parking options without the use of shuttle buses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

i saw several folks get golf cart rides up the hill, and they weren't VIP's. may be something to explore

Wow!  Great to know. Thank you!  Used a cart at the airport last month and it changed my life!