Saturday, August 6th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

13 minutes ago, DrummerParent said:

Good point- especially if the wind is blowing from that direction.  There’s enough to dislike also with JBC to move the show.

I agree that the warm ups were more of a problem this year. Allentown is also a bit more strenuous for people with health issues than I had realized. Faults aside, I’m not sure moving it would work. It is such an iconic location and for the DCI East crowd, many of whom marched in Allentown, especially in the early days when so many smaller corps competed in prelims, that’s huge. Met Life Stadium in NJ or Annapolis might be better locations, but neither would have that feel.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Met Life Stadium in NJ or Annapolis might be better locations, but neither would have that feel.

Agreed.  I’m not a fan of either of those locations honestly.  Even with 11-12000 people, MetLife crowd would feel small (more so than Mercedes or Alamodome in my opinion) both because of the stadium  size and layout.  And no disrespect to the Naval Academy, their stadium sucks.

On 8/8/2022 at 2:00 PM, Jeff Ream said:

do you propose a new venue...and that has turf? don't say the Linc or Baltimore won't happen then. Same for Chester. Meadowlands...cost. won't get the USBands break. Syracuse...logistical and acoustic nightmare. Rutgers logistical nightmare.

sadly the region is not loaded with activity friendly venues for a show this size. Hershey drew 25% the fans to see EWF and Santanna Saturday and made 80% more money than DCI would bring them

I'm pretty sure J. Birney Crum is capable of seeing a few upgrades.  At the very least, seating numbers should be clearly marked on all bleachers, right?  If DCI (hell, *any* event being held there) is asking me to pay money for a specific seat, I expect to be able to know where that seat is located.  Crazy, I know...

No where did I suggest the event needed to be moved.  I simply stated that JBC, in its current no-seat-number-faded-row-marking-1970s-PA-system-state is an embarrassment for a 2-night, world class DCI event.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, frachel said:

Still hear way too many warmups happening when the corps on the field is in a ballad or soft section..

21 hours ago, frachel said:

Still hear way too many warmups happening when the corps on the field is in a ballad or soft section..

that is a downside

personally, I think tradition is overrated. I get the history behind it but if “tradition” is no longer up to par, then it should be tossed out/put out to pasture. No point in sticking to something just for the sake of it. If Brandt Crocker isn’t fit to announce anymore, he shouldn’t announce anymore. If JBC is woefully inadequate for a prominent DCI regional, then a new venue should be found 

14 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

personally, I think tradition is overrated. I get the history behind it but if “tradition” is no longer up to par, then it should be tossed out/put out to pasture. No point in sticking to something just for the sake of it. If Brandt Crocker isn’t fit to announce anymore, he shouldn’t announce anymore. If JBC is woefully inadequate for a prominent DCI regional, then a new venue should be found 

The frustrating thing is that it shouldn't be inadequate.  It doesn't need some massive overhaul.  It just needs some updates and general maintenance.  It's owned by the 4th largest school district in the state, with an almost $400M budget.  I'm sure sees some of the revenue from DCI for hosting Friday and Saturday.  And three HS football teams play there. 

You'll have a hard time convincing me there simply isn't any money to freshen up the place.

3 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

The frustrating thing is that it shouldn't be inadequate.  It doesn't need some massive overhaul.  It just needs some updates and general maintenance.  It's owned by the 4th largest school district in the state, with an almost $400M budget.  I'm sure sees some of the revenue from DCI for hosting Friday and Saturday.  And three HS football teams play there. 

You'll have a hard time convincing me there simply isn't any money to freshen up the place.

No regionals should be hosted outdoors regardless. The stakes for them are too high to be canceled due to rain 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

No regionals should be hosted outdoors regardless. The stakes for them are too high to be canceled due to rain 

This would pretty much mean no East regional then.  Unless we want to call Atlanta the Easts?

They could do something like San Antonio to ______ somewhere midway to Atlanta.    A return to Minneapolis would be neat, but the Texas tour typical is after SA.

It'd mean a major retooling of the touring model but....In my opinion, it's time for that anyway.

21 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

Agreed.  I’m not a fan of either of those locations honestly.  Even with 11-12000 people, MetLife crowd would feel small (more so than Mercedes or Alamodome in my opinion) both because of the stadium  size and layout.  And no disrespect to the Naval Academy, their stadium sucks.

i didnt find Annapolis bad at all.