Saturday, August 6th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

10 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

exactly, the venues they use are probably perfect for their venue rental budget. I only hope they can get a STL show again (we do have a new MLS stadium opening in like 2 months)

SA is probably a good deal. i can't imagine the new Georgia Dome makes as much for the corps as the old one. Allentown is probably the most profitable of them all

7 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Honestly Jeff  I would do it for free if I still had my pa from when I was a Mobile DJ  .  I am sure if they asked around they could have someone do it for practically nothing.  
Also There are a zillion sponsors…no one can pony up for a major regional ?  

you think DCI's marketing team is good at getting sponsors that pay? if so they'd still be on ESPN

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well the school would need the funds to make upgrades happen. i don't think DCI is going to help foot the bill like they did last time. and i know where my seats were located. i looked at the section letters listed at each entrance, the row number on the steps and the seat number on the seats. made it pretty easy. 

the PA system is an issue for sure. that Barry's voice is so high and reedy doesn't help.

I'm glad you were able to find your seat clearly marked.  It should be that way for all attendees.  The only thing clear for my crew were the section letters.  As you got down towards the field, the row numbers in G began to significantly fade.  And the seat numbers were completely non-existent.  Like you-couldn't-even-tell-there-used-to-be-a-sticker-there worn.

This frustrates fans and puts undue pressure on the poor ushers who have to try and mediate disputes in between performances.  We bought 6 tickets and barely had room for the 5 who actually made it.  I know it's generally a tight fit there, but it's obvious folks were sitting where they shouldn't have been.  

28 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i bought extra seats years ago just in case, and i was skinny then LOL. yeah bleacher seating aint the best. but as stated earlier...the money DCI ( aka the corps) make at JBC is far more than they would make elsewhere.

I wish I had the resources to spend double the premium ticket prices so I could maybe be comfortable at a DCI show.

8 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

I wish I had the resources to spend double the premium ticket prices so I could maybe be comfortable at a DCI show.

There were many years when I couldn’t afford a single seat, and stayed home.  I get that they can be pricey, but the other option is to buy a single seat and squish.  If that’s all my budget allow me, i will squish.  

12 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

There were many years when I couldn’t afford a single seat, and stayed home.  I get that they can be pricey, but the other option is to buy a single seat and squish.  If that’s all my budget allow me, i will squish.  

And I have no problem squishing if I know that I and those around me are in the seats they paid for.  

There is no way to know that in some parts of that stadium, though.

1 minute ago, chaddyt said:

And I have no problem squishing if I know that I and those around me are in the seats they paid for.  

There is no way to know that in some parts of that stadium, though.

Not doubting you, but that has never been my experience.  My sections, rows, and seat numbers were always very visible.  Likely, the closer you get to the field, the more use the seats get, and the greater the beating they take!  I aim for most of the way up.  Probably not a lot of abuse up there.

Speaking of regionals, the seating at the Georgia State stadium during the Atlanta regional was fantastic. No room for ambiguity in whose seat is whose, very roomy, and the section I was sitting in had a nice canopy that trapped the sound (in a good way). Not sure whether DCI will be back in the Benz next year, but apart from GSU's stadium being outdoors, it's a very good venue 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DWW11 said:

Not doubting you, but that has never been my experience.  My sections, rows, and seat numbers were always very visible.  Likely, the closer you get to the field, the more use the seats get, and the greater the beating they take!  I aim for most of the way up.  Probably not a lot of abuse up there.

Agreed.  I get why they're worn. 

And if this was some early season show with 5 corps at some podunk high school, I'd expect those conditions.  This is a signature DCI event with every competing corps (and then some) making an appearance and DCI charges as such.  The stadium should at minimum have seating clearly marked for everyone.

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Speaking of regionals, the seating at the Georgia State stadium during the Atlanta regional was fantastic. No room for ambiguity in whose seat is whose, very roomy, and the section I was sitting in had a nice canopy that trapped the sound (in a good way). Not sure whether DCI will be back in the Benz next year, but apart from GSU's stadium being outdoors, it's a very good venue 

I get upset enough when i get rained out at Allentown.  No way i am going to travel for an outdoor show anywhere else.  Just costs too much to take that risk.

tried to take in NighBeat 7 or 8 years ago and that got washed out, too, so my weather challenges tend to follow me!