Saturday, August 6th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

56 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Oh, I absolutely think the spreads would be slightly different. But only because of the differences in the weather conditions between the two shows. Not because the show happened on two different nights with the same judging panel. The 2nd day of Allentown has always been judged relative to the first day. Any differences in spreads are due to different environmental conditions, not the judging itself. It's been like this for a long, long time. 

His argument is that it is impossible for the judges to compare a group from one night to one the next day. I say that's BS. It goes against what DCI says on their own website and is insulting to the those judges' abilities and intelligence. Which is interesting because he normally takes the stance that the judges are absolutely infallible. 

And for the love of god, or anything else one bows down to, please let that be the last statement on this subject🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Go Pacific Crest! Their show is disturbingly underrated. It's so much fun

57 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

It's been like this for a long, long time.  

You surely know that proves nothing, especially your point.

I won't suggest it's impossible for judges to provide subjective assessments across days. But I'll absolutely suggest there's more to the differences in Allentown spreads than environmental conditions.

Ultimately, I'm not especially bothered by it either way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

His argument is that it is impossible for the judges to compare a group from one night to one the next day. I say that's BS. It goes against what DCI says on their own website and is insulting to the those judges' abilities and intelligence. Which is interesting because he normally takes the stance that the judges are absolutely infallible. 

It has nothing to do with the judges or their abilities and I don't appreciate you saying I'm insulting them. I've always enjoyed your contributions so I'm not sure why you have tried to shame me twice now. 

You clearly know how many times on DCP I have I said I'm not a judge (and not qualified to judge) and I trust the judges and their abilities, because they have the experience, knowledge and expertise. I think I have been more than clear about my faith in the judging community.

This is not at all about their abilities. It is about how judging works. The judges judge a performance while it is happening, and give their marks based on what they observe, while they are judging, while watching/listening to the show, while the show is being performed. They score one corps based on how it compares to other corps who performed that very same night. They don't and can't judge in hindsight. A judge on Saturday night just can't judge Crowns (or anyone else's) performance relative to Blue Devils or anyone else who performed on Friday. It is absolutely impossible. How are they supposed to remember every intricacy of these complex 11 minute programs 24 hours later. They can't. No one alive nor no one who has ever lived could. 

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

A judge on Saturday night just can't judge Crowns (or anyone else's) performance relative to Blue Devils or anyone else who performed on Friday. It is absolutely impossible.

jennifer-lawrence-ok.gif

• Haha 1

It's time for the DCI fandom's favorite game show... What! Is! Drum! Corps! Planet! Fighting About Today?

* copious amounts of studio applause *

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

This is not at all about their abilities. It is about how judging works. The judges judge a performance while it is happening, and give their marks based on what they observe, while they are judging, while watching/listening to the show, while the show is being performed. They score one corps based on how it compares to other corps who performed that very same night. They don't and can't judge in hindsight. A judge on Saturday night just can't judge Crowns (or anyone else's) performance relative to Blue Devils or anyone else who performed on Friday. It is absolutely impossible. How are they supposed to remember every intricacy of these complex 11 minute programs 24 hours later. They can't. No one alive nor no one who has ever lived could. 

As I've said before, BOA judges (some of whom are known to judge DCI too) do this every year at most of the Super Regionals. Half the bands perform on Friday with the other half on Saturday followed by finals that night. It's not uncommon for one of the top few bands to perform relatively early on Friday with another close competitor performing later on Saturday and yet those judges do it.

I'll agree that the format like San Antonio is much more ideal but I disagree when you say these judges can't do it. I mean Jay Webb literally judged Allentown this year and did BOA St Louis this past season. Both are 2 day events judging as a single competition so he seems to somehow pull off the impossible.