Saturday, August 6th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

13 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Yesss! Love to see some new blood in the DCI fandom💜🖤❤️

she kinda has no genetic choice. My father marched drum corps before me. we're the South central PA Skywalker family of drum corps

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kdaddy said:

In Pittsburgh just one night later, when Troopers matched with BK, their score dropped a point and they fell behind BK, who they led at Allentown despite being on different nights. 

Could it be environmental conditions, a bad run, or other causes? Of course. But it sure is curious...

well i will say this...leaving my tailgate around 11:45 Saturday, Troops was just pulling out. Pitt is about 5+ hours across PA...mountains, twists, turns, hills, and toll booths. so might not have had good floor time or rehearsal time

1 hour ago, fishindoog said:

Did anyone in attendance happen to notice Bones leaving the field shortly after the Crossmen began their show? He seemed to be walking gingerly and kind of bent over.

Then a woman met him at the gate and she locked arms with him and seemed to help him walk and they disappeared between some of the port-o-johns.

I am hoping he was/is okay.

I missed seeing him walk away. Hope all is well.

14 hours ago, wilme861 said:

As I've said before, BOA judges (some of whom are known to judge DCI too) do this every year at most of the Super Regionals. Half the bands perform on Friday with the other half on Saturday followed by finals that night. It's not uncommon for one of the top few bands to perform relatively early on Friday with another close competitor performing later on Saturday and yet those judges do it.

I'll agree that the format like San Antonio is much more ideal but I disagree when you say these judges can't do it. I mean Jay Webb literally judged Allentown this year and did BOA St Louis this past season. Both are 2 day events judging as a single competition so he seems to somehow pull off the impossible.

Yeah, I get that. Sometimes it is necessary. If DCI had that many corps they'd have no choice to do prelims over two days. I think that's why in the past there were preliminaries (everyone but the top 12 from last year), semfinals (the top 13 from prelims and top 12 from last year) and finals (top 12 of course). There were too many corps to have everyone in prelims.

BOA has to do it that way, but it doesn't mean someone isn't getting screwed into making into finals because of it. 

22 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

do you propose a new venue...and that has turf? don't say the Linc or Baltimore won't happen then. Same for Chester. Meadowlands...cost. won't get the USBands break. Syracuse...logistical and acoustic nightmare. Rutgers logistical nightmare.

sadly the region is not loaded with activity friendly venues for a show this size. Hershey drew 25% the fans to see EWF and Santanna Saturday and made 80% more money than DCI would bring them

What about Lehigh?

4 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

What about Lehigh?

did they get lights? looks like real grass too

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

did they get lights? looks like real grass too

####.  Forgot about the lights!  There has to be SOMEWHERE they could do this, if not allentown proper!

I understand the issues and limitations of JBC. But as someone who waited 24 years to get back there, I had a blast this weekend. The bathroom situation is awful, the bleachers suck, parking is difficult, etc and I didn't care one bit. I can see if you attend Allentown annually how that stuff could get tiresome. I loved that i got to take my wife on her first trip to Allentown. We sat in row 2 between the 45 and 50, ate funnel cakes, watched Tony try to tell the PA announcer when to talk and not talk, got overwhelmed by Crowns hornline, and basically had what will be the best weekend of the year for me. 

Z

Edited by MikeZ
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

What about Lehigh?

Lehigh’ s football stadium has no lights and is natural grass. I live across the street from the athletic complex.  A more newly renovated, wonderful stadium can be found 15 miles east of Lehigh at Lafayette College.  It has plenty of seats, new lights, artificial turf, no track so the corps are closer to fans.  

BUT . . . .

The the parking situation for fans is even worse than Allentown!  Bus, truck parking almost non-existent.  P. S. - it’s been thoroughly analyzed already. 😉

13 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Lehigh’ s football stadium has no lights and is natural grass. I live across the street from the athletic complex.  A more newly renovated, wonderful stadium can be found 15 miles east of Lehigh at Lafayette College.  It has plenty of seats, new lights, artificial turf, no track so the corps are closer to fans.  

BUT . . . .

The the parking situation for fans is even worse than Allentown!  Bus, truck parking almost non-existent.  P. S. - it’s been thoroughly analyzed already. 😉

This makes me very sad.  But thanks for the info.  I always get Lehigh and Lafayette mixed up.