Question about DCI judging

No. They do get lists of original repertoire and synopsis of the show that they are required to go through before judging, especially GE. Other than that, everything is judged in the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

No. They do get lists of original repertoire and synopsis of the show that they are required to go through before judging, especially GE. Other than that, everything is judged in the moment. 

That is interesting-that they are required to go through the repertoires and synopsis of each show that they are judging. I wonder if they often comment on how far a corps has deviated from the original music ? I would guess that if they do, a majority of the time it would be a positive comment-that is part of the genius of some drum corps arrangers and show designers, IMO.

8 minutes ago, denmum said:

That is interesting-that they are required to go through the repertoires and synopsis of each show that they are judging. I wonder if they often comment on how far a corps has deviated from the original music ? I would guess that if they do, a majority of the time it would be a positive comment-that is part of the genius of some drum corps arrangers and show designers, IMO.

In judging you walk a very fine line of not saying a designer's choice is right or wrong. We have to look at it in a way of do the design choices enhance what you are trying to tell us. No corps plays a straight tune anymore, they all deviate from the original source material. Particularly in GE, the judge has to decide given the choice of music and the design choice of arrangements, staging, effects, etc., is it portraying what you're trying to tell us overall. 

Edited by TheOneWhoKnows
  • Like 3

Are the shows still timed?  If so, when does the stopwatch start?  It seems like a lot of the shows start before they ask, 'Is your corps ready'. 

Truthfully, I think DCI has deviated away from timing in the most part. I believe its more you have this amount time from the moment you cross the line to the moment you leave the field. Shows starting before the announcement of the corps are pre-shows and are not judged. If you watch the contest coordinator, he will give a signal once judging has begun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1