Question about DCI judging

56 minutes ago, Mikah said:

Are the shows still timed?  If so, when does the stopwatch start?  It seems like a lot of the shows start before they ask, 'Is your corps ready'. 

They have 17 minutes to get on the field, perform, leave the field. They are supposed to get penalized of they go over their allotted time, however I dunt think they strictly enforce it anymore... Like they used to. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

They have 17 minutes to get on the field, perform, leave the field. They are supposed to get penalized of they go over their allotted time, however I dunt think they strictly enforce it anymore... Like they used to. 

Agreed, it isn't as strictly enforced. And call me an ###, but I full heartedly believe it should be if they go over while we are waiting because of technical difficulties. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Agreed, it isn't as strictly enforced. And call me an ###, but I full heartedly believe it should be if they go over while we are waiting because of technical difficulties. 

You’re not an ###.  Rules are rules.
I think the lax enforcement is a symptom of the activity evolving to the electronics revolution. Bitd, dozens of corps could be performing at even small shows, and strict time enforcement was a necessity. Today, there are fewer corps, and way more complexity in the setup/takedown of each show. Each venue poses unique and unexpected challenges. All of the corps have likely agreed to allow the judges leniency with these new challenges. It’s a balancing act. Tech isn’t going away. In spite of its annoyances, it’s brought the activity to new places, for a new generation of fans and MMs. The rules will catch up some day, but it’s hard to determine what they should be while corps’ use of electronics is still moving forward quickly. 

I wonder if charging fans for access to drill books would be a big revenue stream for corps. I would imagine kids would love to run the drill book while the show is running.

2 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Agree - and there should also be a minimum time, w/ penalties associated if they go under.  If you have 30 days of spring training, you only need to learn 30-seconds of show / day to get to 15 min.  Corps that show up by end of June w/ no closer should be penalized.

6 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Why would the judges need a copy of drill books?

How do they judge accuracy if they don’t know what the drill actually is?