Question about DCI judging

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

How do they judge accuracy if they don’t know what the drill actually is?

That’s the point of the performers. If they are skilled, trained, and perform well the staging/drill is readable.

6 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Do judges get access to the drill books and music charts, from which they can determine complexity and achievement?

I doubt it. If they do, then the argument for scores steadily rising due to corps getting cleaner and exposing the difficulty of the show more would not make any sense 

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

BD doesn’t even have formal drill books or dots. Their approach to drill design is very different. The judges look at the overall form and make their own judgment and common sense on whether someone has hit their “dot” 

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

BD doesn’t even have formal drill books or dots. Their approach to drill design is very different. The judges look at the overall form and make their own judgment and common sense on whether someone has hit their “dot” 

Yeah, if you wanted a BD drill book, you'd have to figure out a way to download Jay Murphy's brain.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Pretty much the same with Bluecoats.

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

even if they had the play book right in front of them how would they keep up...they couldnt..the point is they read what they see, as in real time, either it works visually or it doesn't

38 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

even if they had the play book right in front of them how would they keep up...they couldnt..the point is they read what they see, as in real time, either it works visually or it doesn't

I find this pretty unbelievable, honestly. You’re telling me that judges can judge a show by tenths of a point from one night to the next, based on just their own intuition? I don’t buy it.I find this pretty unbelievable, honestly. You’re telling me that judges can judge a show by tenths of a point from one night to the next, based on just their own intuition? I don’t buy it.

5 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I find this pretty unbelievable, honestly. You’re telling me that judges can judge a show by tenths of a point from one night to the next, based on just their own intuition? I don’t buy it.I find this pretty unbelievable, honestly. You’re telling me that judges can judge a show by tenths of a point from one night to the next, based on just their own intuition? I don’t buy it.

Well, and forms will drift over time if there are no "dots". I saw this happen in marching band too many times, where the director didn't care about the dots after the band learned the drill and 5 weeks later a form had drifted so far that people in the back couldn't get to their spot without looking bad.

I think the visual judging is way too subjective after you get to a certain level where things are clean. There has been a considerable amount of time lobbying for certain things or ways of doing things to receive a certain amount of credit. If you don't have the "right" things, you don't score well, even if you're visually clean.

7 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

lol..Well you don;t have to buy it BUT it's the way it is. How would have a paper with dots help a judge and how would they follow in real time and compare to a dot book, which not everyone uses . Not sure how you think that helps. But whatever..lol