Question about DCI judging

2 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Well, and forms will drift over time if there are no "dots". I saw this happen in marching band too many times, where the director didn't care about the dots after the band learned the drill and 5 weeks later a form had drifted so far that people in the back couldn't get to their spot without looking bad.

I think the visual judging is way too subjective after you get to a certain level where things are clean. There has been a considerable amount of time lobbying for certain things or ways of doing things to receive a certain amount of credit. If you don't have the "right" things, you don't score well, even if you're visually clean.

This is very true, there are many who only look at the dots when teaching BUT tell members always go with form NOT dot. Dots only work when everyone is right on their dot exactly ....every time, 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

This is very true, there are many who only look at the dots when teaching BUT tell members always go with form NOT dot. Dots only work when everyone is right on their dot exactly ....every time, 

Yeah, it is best to utilize both, otherwise form drift can bite the group in the backside.

It's probably not as important these days with the way shows are constructed with less drill and more staging.

• Like 2

Just now, jjeffeory said:

Yeah, it is best to utilize both, otherwise form drift can bite the group in the backside.

It's probably not as important these days with the way shows are constructed with less drill and more staging.

Yes for sure But even trasitions today  to staging actually do have a rhyme and reason or at least should to be done well . Random as many think it is is more choreographed than many think

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Yes for sure But even transitions today  to staging actually do have a rhyme and reason or at least should to be done well . Random as many think it is is more choreographed than many think

Oh certainly,

I've had to train a few band directors on the finer points of planning a good scatter drill, even back in the day.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I find this pretty unbelievable, honestly. You’re telling me that judges can judge a show by tenths of a point from one night to the next, based on just their own intuition? I don’t buy it.I find this pretty unbelievable, honestly. You’re telling me that judges can judge a show by tenths of a point from one night to the next, based on just their own intuition? I don’t buy it.

Well first off those who judge are people who have taught and designed in the activity for years. Even after all of that, the training is quite rigorous to understand the philosophy of judging. These are people who are going to be able to point out things most average viewers miss. 

And again, as I stated earlier, performers who are trained, skilled, and achieve at performance is what makes visual design readable. It’s very easy for a judge to point out where there is lack of training and breakdowns in readability of design. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

and thats not easy..lol

Absolutely NOT easy. Sometimes you have to keep your mouth shut and let them fail, which is unfortunate for the kids.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I find this pretty unbelievable, honestly. You’re telling me that judges can judge a show by tenths of a point from one night to the next, based on just their own intuition? I don’t buy it.I find this pretty unbelievable, honestly. You’re telling me that judges can judge a show by tenths of a point from one night to the next, based on just their own intuition? I don’t buy it.

I remember watching BD in '14 and pointing out the places where the lines weren't straight, the curves had bumps and the intervals were not uniform... the FIRST time I ever saw the show.  Same thing with Scouts in '88 after the drum break.  If you've watched marching units for a few years, you know when something's wrong.