Do NOT miss the Bluecoats Alumni Corps...DO NOT!!!

On 8/13/2022 at 10:42 PM, Super Don-O said:

They had me right from the honor guard. The flag with the ribbons for each member who's left us... on the field together one more time. My eyes were blurry from that moment on.

Great performance, especially loved watching this year's kids living it with them from the front sideline. So much emotion. And then the Autumn Leaves with the new kids mixed in with the old-timers, just awesome.

knowing two of those ribbons....the #### onions near me got my eyes watering

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

OK...what corps is next?

Crossmen have announced an ambitious plan for 2024...performances at San Antonio, Allentown and Indy.

and a certain drum guy #### well better be involved

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kevingamin said:

I was in the Bluecoats Alumni Corps Friday night.

This was special for me, as the corps invited Glassmen Alumni to join them. I haven't had a corps to call him since 2013. then, both Glassmen and Empire Statesmen folded, leaving me a corps orphan. I remember writing that as Empire left the field in Annapolis, then having to all but run to the bathroom because I was overwhelmed by the emotion and couldn't think of where else I could go so I could cry by myself.

When the invitation came from Bob Higgins, who taught me at Glassmen, and Jay Wise, an incredible human being who gave up his chance to perform so the corps could be as organized as possible for this undertaking, I was honored and accepted immediately.

It was during the Bluecoats run through the Sunday before Finals, as the alumni corps sat in the stands and gave the kids the drum corps version of the Care Bear Stare, that one thought popped in my mind:

I have a home again. I have a corps again.

All of a sudden, I couldn't see the corps anymore. I could only sit there, sobbing as quietly as I could, but this time with the joy of that thought warming my heart. I actually had to stop typing this up for a moment as the feeling came back from the memory.

Then we performed.

If you've seen the video, you have an idea of the power and emotion we performed with that night. You heard and saw the crowd's reaction. You even caught glimpses of the 2022 corps, on the sideline, returning the love we gave them Sunday night.

If you were in the stadium, the impact was even more powerful because you were THERE. You were in that moment. You knew we were pulling off something special.

If you were a 2022 Bluecoats member, I hope you know how much the alumni love and support you. I think you do, based on how much emotion I saw from you when the video cut to you. You will always have your Bluecoats family.

And, if you were on that field with me, you couldn't help but be proud of what we all accomplished. We only really spent 10 days together as a full corps, 3 in July and the week leading up to our performance in August. Even after COVID tried to get in our way, WE DID THE THING.

I tried out for Bluecoats in 1991, ironically when they played Nutville as their opener. It took 31 years, but I finally performed Nutville at DCI with the Bluecoats.

I can say forever more that I AM A BLUECOAT.

Six words.

so #### cool they extended the invite. i had heard about it, but it wasn't very publicized

43 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Crossmen have announced an ambitious plan for 2024...performances at San Antonio, Allentown and Indy.

and a certain drum guy #### well better be involved

Are you talking about a certain drum guy that won DCI snare individuals 3 consecutive years?

• Like 1

They had me right from the honor guard. The flag with the ribbons for each member who's left us... on the field together one more time. My eyes were blurry from that moment on.

Great performance, especially loved watching this year's kids living it with them from the front sideline. So much emotion. And then the Autumn Leaves with the new kids mixed in with the old-timers, just awesome.

Bluecoats = CLASS!

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 3:50 PM, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Unfortunately, aren't we missing one of THE biggest Bloo alumni who passed a few years ago?  I seem to recall a post saying the featured sop screamer from '87-'88 Autumn Leaves passed.

it was Frank Pasquerelli (sp), the soloist from the beginning of Autumn Leaves in 1987 & 1988, that passed a few years ago, not the screamer.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

so #### cool they extended the invite. i had heard about it, but it wasn't very publicized

yes,  we had some members have to pull out due to medical or other reasons after the final numbers had been set and the drill was written.  there was an invitation sent to a few Glassmen as well as family members of alumni.  We had a small number of non Bluecoats alumni step up and fill the unexpected holes and we appreciated each and every one of them.  Our youngest member was the 14 yr old son of two former members who were both marching in the Alumni Corps as well, so they all got to march together.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

knowing two of those ribbons....the #### onions near me got my eyes watering

I marched with, or toured with, about at dozen. And knew a couple more personally that I didn't tour with. The entire crowd was quietly on their feet to honor that moment. Instant tears. By the time they got to the 50 my knees were so weak that I had to sit up on the back of my chair. I told my daughter next to me that I don't know how I'm going to do this. The poise my friends needed to perform after that ... I cannot say enough about them @bluecoats88 🍁💙 More than a few others lurking here.

But when the show started it was just so ####### fun that the tears paused. My throat hurt the next morning from all of the screaming and cheering at LOS.

10 hours ago, kevingamin said:

I tried out for Bluecoats in 1991, ironically when they played Nutville as their opener. It took 31 years, but I finally performed Nutville at DCI with the Bluecoats.

I can say forever more that I AM A BLUECOAT.

Six words.

As someone who has a 1991 penny, let me say that I am glad to call you a fellow member. Thank you Kevin. 6 words, indeed.💙🍁

• Like 4

So amazing to see and listen to. Enjoyed every minute and would have stayed all night if they kept on playing. BLOOO!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluecoats88 said:

it was Frank Pasquerelli (sp), the soloist from the beginning of Autumn Leaves in 1987 & 1988, that passed a few years ago, not the screamer.

We had intended to audition all the lead sops for that original solo and distributed the music to them beforehand. When it was Frank's turn he played with such gorgeous tone and hopelessly romantic expression that we halted the audition at that point. It was game over. He owned that solo.

Whenever I encounter Autumn Leaves, in whatever context it appears, in my mind's ear I always hear Frank Pasquerella.

• Like 3