Monday, August 8th “DCI Open Class Championship Prelims” Wildcat Football Stadium at Indiana Wesleyan University Marion, INDIANA

1 minute ago, 27Socal said:

Brass is great, but this is why woodwinds should not be allowed into DCI.  No projection.

Reed instruments project just fine I think. I don’t get why any band marches flutes though. Piccolos make sense since they do project. And this is coming from a guy who used to play flute/picc professionally. 

GREAT performance, Stampede!

So I didn't realize International Class included any instruments (I thought it just had to do with having members outside the DCI age range or something). So what exactly IS International Class? Otherwise, what's to stop just any marching band from competing in the International Class (besides being in between school years)? 

1 minute ago, Rylan said:

Reed instruments project just fine I think. I don’t get why any band marches flutes though. Piccolos make sense since they do project. And this is coming from a guy who used to play flute/picc professionally. 

Saw a HS band last year that had converted all their flutes to piccolos. Was very effective.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Musicman1084 said:

This is really fantastic. I'm mostly in awe over the fact that this group is able to produce something this top notch in an area that is otherwise completely isolated from the marching arts. Like, their drumline is playing some meaty stuff, their guard is doing some difficult work, their brass is marching with TECHNIQUE. Where does this all come from???

Their sponsor is the Calgary Stampede and a lot of their staff are former DCI marching members.

So umm....c'mon tabulators. While we're still young, huh? 

• Like 2

Have to say Legends stuck out to me in a good way.  Very clean polished run and a great show that featured a small ensemble in about as good of a way as you can.  

Also a sucker for Spartans new direction as of 2019.  Super fun, very Bluecoats.  Which explains why I love it 🤪