Open Class Gets No Love

At a minimum, we shouldn't have separate forums on this site. If someone were to start a BDB topic in the world class forum (where it would get visibility and interest), the next two replies would be

- THIS SHOULD BE IN THE OPEN CLASS FORUM - MODS MOVE THIS NOW

- In before the close

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

I admit I rarely check out the Open Class forum but it's sad to see so many topics with 0 replies. These corps might not be as big, loud, and overall talented as some of the World corps, but they are just as passionate and work their tails off. This year is a 4 corps battle for 1st - 3 CA corps are neck n neck (SCVC and Gold tied in the last show) with the Spartans right in the mix. So I hope people will tune in and show these performers some love on the Prelims topic thread today. 

IT'S OFFICIALLY DCI WEEK, DCP!!!!!! What an amazing season it has been!!

I’ve also been surprised to see so few posts in the OC forum this past year. I think there are a few reasons. One is many OC fans are parents and probably do not follow drum corps or know about DCP. I go to an all open class show in New Hampshire each year and most of the people in attendance are friends and family. OC also lacks a traveling audience. People travel to WC shows but not so much OC. I live within an hour’s drive of the NH show do it’s not a hassle, but I attend Allentown each year which requires a hotel and six hours driving. 

I have not been to OC prelims or finals. My understanding it is a great time, the rivalries are heated, and the performances are great. Attendance is also very low. If it was closer to Indy, I might consider flying a few days earlier and attending, but Avon would require flying and renting a car which is an expense.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

That's why I suggested removing the open class name and just make them less touring world class.  Legends posted photos from an open class Michigan show recently that looked well attended 

"Less Touring World Class"  doesnt have the same ring to it as "Open Class" or even "Div 2".     

Open class was at its best in Michigan City.  The stadium is awesome, the city, though needing a pressure washer and a hug, is welcoming, and you feel like you get your own run of it.  Which is nice.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Open Class prelim is on Flo today but so are two world class competitions so yeah...take your pick on what you want to watch or go back and forth.

Yikes. May not have a choice.

Courtesy @NebraskaGBR from the OC side. 

=============================================================

DCI Open Class Prelims”  Wildcat Football Stadium at Indiana Wesleyan University   Marion, INDIANA     Monday, August 8th  3:45 PMET

TODAY: Scattered thunderstorms. High near 85F. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50%. 0.09 in   
TONIGHT:
Mostly cloudy with showers and a few thunderstorms. Heavy and torrential downpours at times. Low around 65F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%. 0.37 in  Worst time frame: 7 PM 58% - - - > 10:00 PM 64%.    … Courtesy of   WeatherUnderground.com
INFO current as of Monday, August 8th  4:45 AM   Update(s) will be posted … if necessary … later today.

LOCAL News/Weather Stations:
[Marion, IN]: WISHTV     
[Indianapolis, IN]:  WRTV  Fox59  WTHR  WISHTV   CBS4Indy  

33 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

At a minimum, we shouldn't have separate forums on this site. If someone were to start a BDB topic in the world class forum (where it would get visibility and interest), the next two replies would be

- THIS SHOULD BE IN THE OPEN CLASS FORUM - MODS MOVE THIS NOW

- In before the close

Agree - but it is also probably not a good idea to to reorganize DCP during Finals Week either.  This is a job for the off-season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Yikes. May not have a choice.

Courtesy @NebraskaGBR from the OC side. 

=============================================================

DCI Open Class Prelims”  Wildcat Football Stadium at Indiana Wesleyan University   Marion, INDIANA     Monday, August 8th  3:45 PMET

TODAY: Scattered thunderstorms. High near 85F. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50%. 0.09 in   
TONIGHT:
Mostly cloudy with showers and a few thunderstorms. Heavy and torrential downpours at times. Low around 65F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%. 0.37 in  Worst time frame: 7 PM 58% - - - > 10:00 PM 64%.    … Courtesy of   WeatherUnderground.com
INFO current as of Monday, August 8th  4:45 AM   Update(s) will be posted … if necessary … later today.

LOCAL News/Weather Stations:
[Marion, IN]: WISHTV     
[Indianapolis, IN]:  WRTV  Fox59  WTHR  WISHTV   CBS4Indy  

Well, let's look at it this way - Perhaps Mr & Mrs Chief Guns will get to experience weather that doesn't happen in Dan Diego...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CAtenhut said:

I admit I rarely check out the Open Class forum but it's sad to see so many topics with 0 replies. These corps might not be as big, loud, and overall talented as some of the World corps, but they are just as passionate and work their tails off. This year is a 4 corps battle for 1st - 3 CA corps are neck n neck (SCVC and Gold tied in the last show) with the Spartans right in the mix. So I hope people will tune in and show these performers some love on the Prelims topic thread today. 

IT'S OFFICIALLY DCI WEEK, DCP!!!!!! What an amazing season it has been!!

Heading out to Marion tomorrow.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Well, let's look at it this way - Perhaps Mr & Mrs Chief Guns will get to experience weather that doesn't happen in Dan Diego...

Oh we are experiencing the weather!!!! We are currently watching Gold rehearse at Davis Park in Anderson Indiana. THE HUMIDITY!!!!! It's so hot I swear the Devil was sitting in the back seat of our rental cat when we left the hotel this morning. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Oh we are experiencing the weather!!!! We are currently watching Gold rehearse at Davis Park in Anderson Indiana. THE HUMIDITY!!!!! It's so hot I swear the Devil was sitting in the back seat of our rental cat when we left the hotel this morning. 

I am worried about rain. Overcast right now with a chance of thunderstorms.