Open Class Gets No Love

Can't remember who told me to go eat at Culvers once I got to Indiana, maybe it was @Terri Schehr......well the wifey and I just went to the one here in Marion...............thank you so much! Culvers needs to come to California lol. Dang that was good! On our way to the stadium with a full and happy stomach!

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Can't remember who told me to go eat at Culvers once I got to Indiana, maybe it was @Terri Schehr......well the wifey and I just went to the one here in Marion...............thank you so much! Culvers needs to come to California lol. Dang that was good! On our way to the stadium with a full and happy stomach!

What does weather look like?

6 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Get a pork loin sandwich at a good local joint during your trip also! (Not at a stadium kiosk though- not good). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

im not sure where you stayed, but from a performers/staff view, that was a great drum crops crowd.  the venue is just large enough to feel packed, and even if they didnt follow dci, locals would still turn out.   i think the proximity to the lake helped temper it a bit as well. 

I get a lot of people liked that Michigan City location, but my issue with it was how far away it was from Indy. To me, it felt like the Open Class corps were being treated as an afterthought. At least they're now only an hour away from Indy. Honestly it's too bad they can't just have all 5 days at Lucas Oil so Open Class doesn't have to deal with weather issues for their most important competition of the season. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

I get a lot of people liked that Michigan City location, but my issue with it was how far away it was from Indy. To me, it felt like the Open Class corps were being treated as an afterthought. At least they're now only an hour away from Indy. Honestly it's too bad they can't just have all 5 days at Lucas Oil so Open Class doesn't have to deal with weather issues for their most important competition of the season. 

Although I liked MC, I agree that not treating Open Class as an afterthought is important.  And, if DCI is getting such a great deal from Indy, why don’t Open Class compete in LOS?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

You’re welcome, my friend 🥰

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Although I liked MC, I agree that not treating Open Class as an afterthought is important.  And, if DCI is getting such a great deal from Indy, why don’t Open Class compete in LOS?

Open Class is already an afterthought.  Michigan city was at least a good stadium, and its own entity.   Corps already have to stay far away as Indianapolis public schools start classes the first week of august.  

Other areas of the state its admin time for teachers these first couple weeks. 

If Open Class, in a good year draws 5000 attendees.   Putting even 8000 at LOS in an area for (less than half the stadium) 30,000 feels like NO ONE is in the stadium.  Your sound echos, the seats are deflecting, and its not an exciting show to play.  Ask anyone who's had to play an early slot at quarters.  Playing to a giant empty stadium is much worse than a smaller full stadium.

Keeping the event in an area where its easy to find rehearsal space, and closer to a good stadium is more beneficial to the performers.

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Here in Auburn Alabama we got one a few months ago. Still don’t know what a butter burger is! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Open Class is already an afterthought.  Michigan city was at least a good stadium, and its own entity.   Corps already have to stay far away as Indianapolis public schools start classes the first week of august.  

Other areas of the state its admin time for teachers these first couple weeks. 

If Open Class, in a good year draws 5000 attendees.   Putting even 8000 at LOS in an area for (less than half the stadium) 30,000 feels like NO ONE is in the stadium.  Your sound echos, the seats are deflecting, and its not an exciting show to play.  Ask anyone who's had to play an early slot at quarters.  Playing to a giant empty stadium is much worse than a smaller full stadium.

Keeping the event in an area where its easy to find rehearsal space, and closer to a good stadium is more beneficial to the performers.

All very valid points.

But, when you're the age of OC kids, at least for me, the thrill of playing in the big house where the big dogs run in a major league venue, at least when I was that age, were moments to remember. Throw in cheap tickets and $1 concessions. Make it a party like they do SoundSport and Drum Battle. No clue if LOS has ever even been considered, but having everything in a single venue all week would help more than it hurts IMO. 

• Like 3