Open Class Gets No Love

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Just got my seats. Overcast, real cloudy, not a weather man, but I would say maybe 40% chance of rain just looking at the clouds. Darn it's humid, well at least to this Cali Kid lol. 

Looks pretty clear on Flo and the stadium and field look NICE!! Hope the clear weather holds up. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Heh Culver’s is a Wisconsin thing but has moved in on Indiana in recent years. 

Make the drive over to Ivanhoe’s for ice cream. The food is meh but the ice cream is legend. 

https://ivanhoes.info

We have one here about 15 minutes from the house.  

18 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

We have one here about 15 minutes from the house.  

This Ivanhoe's is not a chain.  A long standing central Indiana institution. Heh.  

21 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I meant Culver’s. 

Ah.  Yeah that's a chain.  They've gone big time if they've moved in on Florida then!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Open Class is already an afterthought. 

Just wait until you find out what they get paid at their shows. (Spoiler alert: it’s nothing. They only get paid for WC shows, which are discouraged and usually not allowed to attend by DCI, unless the show host, usually an OC corps itself, can come up with payments for the other corps.) And then throw in a fanbase that largely ignores them but then mocks them for not doing the same full-out tours the WC corps are being paid to do with MUCH less resources (unless you’re a feeder corps for one of the giants). 

These performers deserve a much larger audience, and hardcore DCI fans should be ashamed they aren’t providing them with one. 

And don’t even get me started on the email I *still* have in my mailbox from FloMarching several years ago telling me they planned to expand to open class shows based on how well prelims/finals were watched. Still salty about that because despite a large audience, they never followed through. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cmchandler said:

Just wait until you find out what they get paid at their shows. (Spoiler alert: it’s nothing. They only get paid for WC shows, which are discouraged and usually not allowed to attend by DCI, unless the show host, usually an OC corps itself, can come up with payments for the other corps.) And then throw in a fanbase that largely ignores them but then mocks them for not doing the same full-out tours the WC corps are being paid to do with MUCH less resources (unless you’re a feeder corps for one of the giants). 

These performers deserve a much larger audience, and hardcore DCI fans should be ashamed they aren’t providing them with one. 

And don’t even get me started on the email I *still* have in my mailbox from FloMarching several years ago telling me they planned to expand to open class shows based on how well prelims/finals were watched. Still salty about that because despite a large audience, they never followed through. 

I taught in it for many years, helped craft a business plan and fundraisers, and have been in it since it was 2/3.  

I’m aware of when they merged 2/3, the “deal” they were told to accept.  Trust me, there’s nothing you can tell me about open I don’t already know.  

32 minutes ago, cmchandler said:

agreed. and when i went to finals every year, i always made it to OC finals. Because for 20+ years now, usually the closest OC show to me is 2+ hours away on a weeknight. not conducive to getting out to support them. 

I know Sheffield is a regular stop, but it's 4 hours away, and there's more deer and elk in the county than humans. and many years thats the closest one to me