General Effect.... Disagreement?

I've been popping in and out of topics here and reading lots of "Crown's surging!" "Bloo is surging!" "Cadets are surging!" and a lot of talk that "anything can happen at finals". Other than BD winning, which we know is a lock at this point (sorry not sorry), I tend to agree that the rest of the placements... well are up for grabs.

I say this because taking a look back over the season there is one thing that is certain score wise, GE judges aren't on the same page and there appears to be a lot of differing opinions on who is effective and who isn't from judge to judge. Placements are going to truly depend on who is on the panel. And not just on finals, but each night. 

But! A caveat, I wouldn't be surprised if all the sudden this week the GE judges are suddenly in lockstep with one another. 

When practically every subcaption ordinal aligns with each corps' overall placement (with an occasional variance in percussion or guard) I call BS. You can't tell me that some corps march better than they play and vice versa. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Placements are going to truly depend on who is on the panel.

True words... They have been all over the place, especially that C. Hestin. He would have one corps in 1st and another in 4th or 5th, and then the very next week he would flip flop those two. I'm not saying he shouldn't call 'em as he sees 'em, but that much change in a week? For two corps?

6 minutes ago, billj said:

When practically every subcaption ordinal aligns with each corps' overall placement (with an occasional variance in percussion or guard) I call BS. You can't tell me that some corps march better than they play and vice versa. 

I mean it's not impossible for a corps to excel at every caption. However, at these levels in the activity there are corps that are better in some areas than others and it shouldn't be a straight across placement. In my mind. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keystone3ply said:

It's all subjective & I guess it really doesn't matter.  Just enjoy the process... 

As an adjudicator myself, I pay attention to the numbers closely and I always pick those judge's brains of who I know as to why they scored the way they did. I'm just merely pointing out that usually there's somewhat of a correlation across GE judges. Even if they flip placements here and there. But this year there is very little consistency. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TheOneWhoKnows said:

As an adjudicator myself, I pay attention to the numbers closely and I always pick those judge's brains of who I know as to why they scored the way they did. I'm just merely pointing out that usually there's somewhat of a correlation across GE judges. Even if they flip placements here and there. But this year there is very little consistency. 

I get it as an semi-retired educator, adjudicator, & former corps staff.   It really mattered to me when I was competing but as I've gotten older, not so much.

When I look at the recaps it just makes me mad.  I told our former student a couple of weeks ago whose chasing a medal that you can't control the panel.  Just clean & execute & clean & execute & enjoy the ride!  It's about to all be over as he is an 'age out'.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d be interested to see a math whiz break down DCI’s scoring system, and point out all of the limitations.  One big limitation is when a corps maxes out a caption/subcaption, the scores reflect ranking, but not necessarily the extent one corps was better than the next placement. At best, it’s a fraction of a point, and often much less. Other scored competitions have ditched fixed score ceilings so that judges can better reward achievement. 

• Like 2

just remember, design helps or hinders everything.

you'll never see a 20 in "achievement" of a content labeled 14.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1