Finals Announcer

Just now, crownisking said:

It kinda felt like DCI found some random Georgia State J School student at the last minute. He didn’t sound super comfortable behind the mic and I’m willing to bet he didn’t even know what a drum corps was at the beginning of the summer. Poor guy. 

Teehee exactly. I winced much of the time he was announcing. But when he butchers our name, all I can do is giggle.

I hope it's also humbling for the MMs. Was for me. No need to get too big for your britches, Vanguard. That never works out well for us.

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Teehee exactly. I winced much of the time he was announcing. But when he butchers our name, all I can do is giggle.

I hope it's also humbling for the MMs. Was for me. No need to get too big for your britches, Vanguard. That never works out well for us.

Granted, I’ve never marched with a corps (not talented enough) but I can say I never even heard our band announcements in high school. I was laser focused on the DM’s hands. Everything else was a blur. Maybe the MMS didn’t even notice. 

• Thanks 1

We had a drum major for two years in my band who had one of those last names that, when you heard it, it made perfect sense to say it that way, but when you read it, it could be sounded out a variety of ways.   

Announcers butchered it left and right and it was super duper irritating.  So the director started submitting the names along with a phonetic pronunciation guide and it got better.   But we were at one show one time and the announcer botched it so incredibly bad and in an almost comically hyped manner that we all sort of flinched knowing how enraged she'd be.  

She snapped to and did a violent about face that flared her  long skirt wonderfully, head to the box and in full DM voice, "IT'S PRONOUNCED _______!"  Snapped around arms up, STARED DOWN THE ENTIRE LINE OF US ON HER SIDE daring us to react.  Then the DM on the box counted us off.

We launched into Conquest with a flair like never before.  

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, azwethinkweizm said:

Good to see Dan Potter is still around the scene. He announced my high school band when we competed in BOA competitions. Still confused as to why he left WBAP for Tulsa but that's a whole different topic.

I always assumed Hal Jay pushed him out but that's thoroughly off-topic.

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

We had a drum major for two years in my band who had one of those last names that, when you heard it, it made perfect sense to say it that way, but when you read it, it could be sounded out a variety of ways.   

Announcers butchered it left and right and it was super duper irritating.  So the director started submitting the names along with a phonetic pronunciation guide and it got better.   But we were at one show one time and the announcer botched it so incredibly bad and in an almost comically hyped manner that we all sort of flinched knowing how enraged she'd be.  

She snapped to and did a violent about face that flared her  long skirt wonderfully, head to the box and in full DM voice, "IT'S PRONOUNCED _______!"  Snapped around arms up, STARED DOWN THE ENTIRE LINE OF US ON HER SIDE daring us to react.  Then the DM on the box counted us off.

We launched into Conquest with a flair like never before.  

I’m actually surprised that the practice of pre-recording the corps announcements hasn’t really caught on. Bloo did it for a few years. Blue Stars is doing it thins year. But that’s about it. 

1 hour ago, crownisking said:

I’m actually surprised that the practice of pre-recording the corps announcements hasn’t really caught on. Bloo did it for a few years. Blue Stars is doing it thins year. But that’s about it. 

I love the Blue Stars’ voice actor for the announcement. It’s almost creepy but calming at the same time 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

Cam Stasa is an announcer I've heard before in BOA, and she does a fantastic job. Would love to hear her announcing some DCI shows.

Personal shout out for Cam. I took a few classes at Vandercook and she is absolutely wonderful. 

19 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

She is Kayleigh Kriss, a member of the Bluecoats Board of Directors.  She hosts a radio show in the Canton area and has announced the Bluecoats show for several years...and yes she does a great job.

Another great announce from Ohio is Brad Bell.  He announces several DCI shows and has done the Open Class finals a few times.  

I think he also does the band fest during the rose parade week.