The impact of Drum Corps

My son is starting his freshman year in college next week at Cal State Fullerton. Majoring in Music Education. Wants to be a high school band director one day. 

• Like 8

I absolutely love parents of drum corps kids stories.  My parents could have probably told a few of me, but this is a family forum. I was a wee bit of a rebel child BITD.

Please, keep them coming. 

• Like 5

My son is aging out this year. He will be a Senior in college; Math major and Music minor.

He has been a brass instructor at a smaller high school and this year will be a marching instructor at one of the biggest high schools in our area.

His goal is to teach math at a high school with a marching band so he can help them.

• Like 7

Those of us who have marched…whatever generation….know the value of what this activity brings to the table. I’m so happy to see parents of marching members realize how their children have benefitted from the whole drum corps experience. Thank you for sacrificing to give them the opportunity of drum corps. I know it’s getting more and more expensive to participate in the activity these days but once you see what the impact this activity has on it’s participants it is invaluable! 

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I absolutely love parents of drum corps kids stories.  My parents could have probably told a few of me, but this is a family forum. I was a wee bit of a rebel child BITD.

Please, keep them coming. 

But you turned out to be a good guy….thanks to drum corps, right? Please say yes. 😁

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Haha 3

Just now, Sutasaurus said:

But you turned out to be a good guy….thanks to drum corps, right? Please sat yes. 😁

Absolutely. Haven't you noticed? I'm a Sweet Pea. 🙂 

• Haha 2

From a 50-member Corps we have 2 college professors, several IT professionals, 3 financial professionals, an Alaska crab fisherman, 2 band directors, several government employees, several small business owners, several military officers, and a Catholic priest (no one saw that coming in 1983).  Drum Corps gave us the tools to succeed. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

From a 50-member Corps we have 2 college professors, several IT professionals, 3 financial professionals, an Alaska crab fisherman, 2 band directors, several government employees, several small business owners, several military officers, and a Catholic priest (no one saw that coming in 1983).  Drum Corps gave us the tools to succeed. 

You had me at crab fisherman.  I bet he has stories.  I’ve recently become obsessed with Deadliest Catch.  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx