The impact of Drum Corps

6 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

You had me at crab fisherman.  I bet he has stories.  I’ve recently become obsessed with Deadliest Catch.  

He was a deck-hand on one of the boats that was not on the show.   Iirc he did it for about 7 years, but then moved on.  It takes quite a toll on the body (notice on the show that there are usually new deck-hands each season), and he had just gotten married w/ kid on the way.   I believe he was also playing semi-pro hockey for a while.  He is in the IT world now. 

• Like 1

I had no clue what drum corps was.  My high school was so small we didn’t even have a marching band.  My first show was in Houston and I was hooked.  I went to finals both years, volunteered with the Crossmen, and even made it to Boston to watch 4th of July parades.  I think this is an unheralded activity that few know about and even less recognize the sacrifice the MMs, staff, parents, and fans make for this activity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I remember taking my son to his first show when he was going into 6th grade (summer of 2012).  He's loved it ever since, is a music ed major at UNT starting his senior year in a couple weeks, worked several band camps and teched at a few schools (he'll be at Marcus HS this fall), and now aging out with his dream corps.  I'm a little proud...

Edited by Reed
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

He was a deck-hand on one of the boats that was not on the show.   Iirc he did it for about 7 years, but then moved on.  It takes quite a toll on the body (notice on the show that there are usually new deck-hands each season), and he had just gotten married w/ kid on the way.   I believe he was also playing semi-pro hockey for a while.  He is in the IT world now. 

Drum corps, deck hand, semi pro hockey?   He's a glutton for bodily punishment, isn't he?

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Reed said:

I remember taking my son to his first show when he was going into 6th grade (summer of 2012).  He's loved it ever since, is a music ed major at UNT starting his senior year in a couple weeks, worked several band camps and teched at a few schools (he'll be at Marcus HS this fall), and now aging out with his dream corps.  I'm a little proud...

My son graduates from UNT in December. Small world. 

• Like 2

This thread should be at the top of everything.  No matter the score, shows, good bad and everything in between, this is what drum corps is REALLY all about in my opinion; nothing else really matters, . .... teaching life experiences, learning about yourself, finding and following your passion.  All else really doesn't matter. Drum corps is merely just the vehicle.

Edited by brians
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I already posted this on the marching experience thread, but this encapsulates my feelings perfectly:

HS marching band for one year, synth. It was a great experience in some respects and I really enjoyed the camraderie, but we really had some crappy management and an ego-inflated band director who thought he was the next big star but he always cynically insults the kids. Also, we had an insane schedule which basically left no time for me to pursue other interests or even just relax for a bit. I was having a bit of a mental health crisis at the time and this definitely contributed to it.

However, I hold a deep appreciation for both marching band and drum corps and an undying respect for those who dedicate their time to it. Drum corps is my favorite genre of music (besides swing and electro swing), and I've referred to DCI as the "soundtrack to my life". I still play synth (along with other percussion instruments) and am teaching myself to write music in the style of these bands. I may not be on the field anymore, but I'll sure as hell be in the stands, and band will be a part of my soul forever.

• Like 1

mom met dad at a drum corps show. literally no drum corps, no me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Never marched drum corps but I have quite a few of my peers that have and they all are doing well for themselves. Even if I haven’t really gotten into the indoor circuits at all, the marching arts as a whole are awesome, and we all know that through the lessons taught to students from caring and passionate teachers will leave a mark on them forever, as well as all the friends and experiences that come with the journey in all its forms