The impact of Drum Corps

4 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Probably less chance of CTE this way, unless he's dropping that tuba on his head. 😉

He feels he made the right decision. As long as he is happy, that's all I care about. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Drumcorpdad62 said:

remember taking my son to his first show when he was going into 6th grade (summer of 2012).  He's loved it ever since, is a music ed major at UNT starting his senior year in a couple weeks, worked several band camps and teched at a few schools (he'll be at Marcus HS this fall), and now aging out with his dream corps.  I'm a little proud...

My son graduates from UNT in December. Small world. 

Mine is a Junior in UNT. Seems like that school has plenty of people who march DCI. He isn't in the band program in any way so I don't think he will use his DCI experience to go into the marching arts. But who knows

4 minutes ago, SJugster said:

remember taking my son to his first show when he was going into 6th grade (summer of 2012).  He's loved it ever since, is a music ed major at UNT starting his senior year in a couple weeks, worked several band camps and teched at a few schools (he'll be at Marcus HS this fall), and now aging out with his dream corps.  I'm a little proud...

My son graduates from UNT in December. Small world. 

Mine is a Junior in UNT. Seems like that school has plenty of people who march DCI. He isn't in the band program in any way so I don't think he will use his DCI experience to go into the marching arts. But who knows

Hey @Reed, @Drumcorpdad62 and @SJugster:

I'm a TWU alum, not sure if you're familiar with UNT's little sister school down the street. Also went to Lake Highlands in Dallas if you're familiar. Ours was the first school to incorporate corps style marching in Texas. 😉

Not many North Texans repping us when I marched BITD. Your kiddos make me so dang proud to say I'm from North Texas. ❤️ 🤠 :babies: I'll hype 'n vibe that forever!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malaguena Salerosa said:

I’m a huge admirer, but I never marched drum corps - my peak was marching for a competitive HS marching band. At any rate, the discipline, the selflessness, the perseverance, and the deep collaboration instilled in me in my adolescence because of marching band *without a doubt* helped me get through and thrive during medical school and residency training! 

I would quasi-“stand at attention” when I was in the Operating Room assisting in middle-of-the-night surgeries as a med student, focusing, motionlessly, answering the surgeon’s questions, anticipating their next moves in a kind of choreographed way, while not distracting - I didn’t become a surgeon, but they all loved me in the OR, and I very consciously knew I was drawing on my marching experience. This is one of a gazillion examples, and I’m curious why more marchers don’t end up in medicine as many of the skills (and perfectionism!) come in handy.

Oh yes. Teachers at our school would sometimes remark, "I can tell who is in band.  They seem taller because the don't slouch."   Then in college, people marveled at my ability to stand for long periods of time. I was all, "Don't lock your knees." OHHH.  

• Thanks 1

My first experience was seeing (on 8mm) in my 8th grade year, our band director showing our band class the Troopers, playing Battle Hymn of the Republic and during their starburst drill in a competition.  I was blown away.  I had considered being a music teacher (my Father was a choral for 8 years, then became an elementary principal) and after seeing that film, I was all in on being a band director and someday marching in a corps.  We changed to a corps style marching band, and I had a blast along with becoming a huge DCI fan (after my Senior year my Dad drove 5 friends and myself to DCI North in the summer of 76 at the Pontiac Silverdome and we watched as the Blue Devils laid everyone out with “Channel One Suite”.  Went to Central Michigan University and had a wonderful time in the marching chips.  Had two chances to march in a corps (Kilties in 78 and 27th Lancers in 80), but I was paying my way for the most part and I would have had to work for a year to pay for a year of school.  I gave up my marching dreams, but CMU marched corps style and we played a lot of Paul Lavendar charts (before he joined Jensen music) and Jack Saunders was a great drill writer, it was close to marching in corps as I got and it was great fun.  I became a band director, and in my 4th year we won a state championship in Michigan in Flight 3, after finishing last, 4th and 3rd in flight 3 the three years before.  I was so proud of those kids we had increased in size from 21 kids in my first year, 48 my second, 56, my third year to 69, my fourth year.  I was offered a job as a choir director in Missouri (Blue Springs JH) in 85 and we decided to move.  With starting a family I knew more time at home was going to be important, but hoped I could enter back into the band realm after a couple of years.  I loved the time at home but kept my band dreams as I wrote drill as a part of Orefice Visual Enterprize.  I wrote for 6 to 12 bands every year, in varying sized bands, competitive groups and groups that wanted to do one show a year.  I still write but do a couple of shows for the one show (District Festivals) a year, after 39 years of writing, it should be fun.  I stayed in Choral Music for 27 years (20 years as the Blue Springs HS Choral Director with 4 years as the Assistant Activities Director for Performing Arts).  My fandom for DCI has never waned and I still love this activity.

Edited by Vdad76
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

My son is starting his freshman year in college next week at Cal State Fullerton. Majoring in Music Education. Wants to be a high school band director one day. 

Congrats! I enjoyed watching your son last night! I looked around for you, but didn't see "the hat".

Hope all is well!

11 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Congrats! I enjoyed watching your son last night! I looked around for you, but didn't see "the hat".

Hope all is well!

I was there! Lol. Wore my hat both days. Just landed back in SoCal. I was in section C row 14. About four rows below the pressbox on the 50 yd line. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I was there! Lol. Wore my hat both days. Just landed back in SoCal. I was in section C row 14. About four rows below the pressbox on the 50 yd line. 

Did you have a SF hat? I was in section C row 10 on the fifty yard line.

You were very quiet!

Edited by jjeffeory

1 hour ago, Vdad76 said:

My first experience was seeing  I had a blast along with becoming a huge DCI fan (after my Senior year my Dad drove 5 friends and myself to DCI North in the summer of 76 at the Pontiac Silverdome and we watched as the Blue Devils laid everyone out with “Channel One Suite”.  

I marched BD then.  That was an incredible year.

I got hooked on drumlines watching local parades.

After drum corps I ended up as an accounting major at.....UNT !!   They had a great accounting program, but I used to happen upon the battery practicing on my way to class.  

life is funny that way.  When my daughter joined the guard at our local high school, eventually I ended up teching the battery....for 10 years!!

13 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Did you have a SF hat? I was in section C row 10 on the fifty yard line.

You were very quiet!

Yea that was me. Lol