Thursday, August 11th “DCI World Championship PRELIMS” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, INDIANA

Calgary is fantastic. Solid show so far. I like that last tune. Forget the name but I think Crossmen did that back in 1992. 

• Like 2

Excellent job to the Open Class corps outside of the "Big 4". This was my first reading on almost all of them. I did have to get over the initial shock of Covid decimation - but what else can one expect? Especially when all these Open Class groups are entirely grassroots- & self-funded. Drives me nuts that they're not more structurally supported. BUT! Switching to that perspective, many performances were indeed impressive.

Battalion was quite the surprise - I hadn't seen a single show of theirs' since Drums Along the Rockies maybe 2017? It was a "red" theme, I think. Wow they've grown by leaps and bounds. Absolutely cannot wait to see where they go from here. I would guess it won't be more than a few years' time before we end up with a third healthy World Class corps hailing from the Rocky Mountain Region.

Southwind was lovely as well - they seemed to maintain nicely from 2019, and that is a massive feat. I look forward to seeing where Southwind goes from here as well. The future looks incredibly bright. I'd imagine Jersey Surf is a fair bit cleaner, but we shall see soon - it will be Surf, Southwind, or maybe even Battalion grabbing that 25th Semis spot.

I'm sure it's been discussed ad nauseam, but Legends truly took a startling Covid hit. I appreciate that they are here and fielding a corps this year. I imagine it will be a good few years before we see them build back entirely to where they left off in the late 2010s - that is a long way from where they are now. But, again, happy they are fielding and plowing through this season. 

Of the OC corps under 20 horns, Louisiana Stars really impressed me. Balanced, blended sound, and solid in every caption. Yes, they took a huge Covid hit too, but I am really heartened seeing the consistency in execution across all captions for them. Wouldn't mind seeing them pull ahead of Legends this afternoon.

River City Rhythm was also nice! Again, a big hit from the 2 seasons off, but I am thrilled they are healthy and fielding this year. Same with 7th Regiment. If both corps can successfully build on this season, I can see each recapturing their respective pre-Covid momentums soon enough.

OH! I don't remember the fabric in Marion!  

43 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Whack em with it like they're a seat stealer if they do.

🤣 Whenever I attend a drum corps or basketball event, with VIP reserved seating, I usually don't show up until the National Anthem or shorty afterwards, and there is always someone sitting in my seats when I arrive.  Most people move immediately, but I have had one woman, at a DCI show, who wanted to argue with me that the seats were hers since I was late.  Nope!  I paid for VIP 50 yard line seats near the press box and have the tickets to prove it!     

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Wow. Well that was fire.

Can't really get behind that sax feature, but everything else was incredible!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nice job, Calgary! I like the mural at the end. Reminds me so much of Star of Indiana 1992. Surprised we don't see more of that type of prop considering how prop heavy the activity has been in the past decade. 

Guys

It’s drum Corps INTERNATIONAL and that means accommodating differences. Eg most European corps compete with no age limit. 

If you don’t like it then change the name of DCI to DCA (Drum Corps America) 

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 1

Ok Guardians.

A few years back they did a Kanye West show then followed it up with a show full of Beyonce, Jay-Z and others.  

This year they've got Big Freedia on their reps.  

They have shot up like a rocket in the standings finshing higher than they've ever done at 5th in OC finals.  

Party corps gonna party!   It's a DJ show..."From scratch"