Thursday, August 11th “DCI World Championship PRELIMS” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, INDIANA

8 hours ago, Rylan said:

This confuses me because I don’t think BD has really ever tried to be “cool”.  I get the sense that BD is more on the “we’re going to do what we’re going to do” side of things. 

Those that are cool don't try to be cool, they just are cool. So yes I don't think BD has ever tried to be so cool, they just always were cool. Still are. I just think Bluecoats are the coolest kid the class these days.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ve been to a lot of drum corps shows in my time and this has to be the first time I’ve seen people come in for two corps at prelims. Well, not really two because the first corps they were there for, they looked at their phones and even made calls.  Then when their corps came on, they went nuts.  When they were done, got up and left and never returned.  

parents of marching member, first year

then they'll complain about the scoring lol - these type NEVER volunteer - if they did they might better understand the amount of work which this requires

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

then they'll complain about the scoring lol - these type NEVER volunteer - if they did they might better understand the amount of work which this requires

I would guess 20-somethings. Worst generation ever. Thank God I'll be dead by the time they run the world.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

With Bluecoats having pretty much a disastrous electronics mishap, and still beating Crown—you have to be optimistic if they can put it together now. Figure out what happened with the keytar and the center mic, and make a run at Silver.

Yes, Bluecoats in third.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Man I hate to have missed Babylon as an alum. I'd have loved to have experience that.

I'm not jealous for MMs who marched the few seasons after a champion show though. I see the similarities BTW this show and the two before it and am not calling people wrong. And true, what's with all the tower-climbing SC?

I just know the feeling of not living up to staff and fan expectations and it sucks. All that hard work, dismissed by comparison. All the richness of a show diminished by competition. I know the feeling very well.

I can imagine I'm not alone here. It sucks when you can't seem to explain your understanding of how perfectly a show fits into a corps legacy, and how the competition spoils its value. And how much more important THAT legacy to some alum. But, I marched Vanguard. We have consistently let go of competition in favor of changing the game. It's what we've always done. Or maybe, just maybe, the talent has always been held back by design, instructor, and admin staff that can't find their creative flow.

I'll continue to remind everyone that the judging system simply isn't equipped to award SC on their choreo book. Neither system nor judges have that capacity. But this wouldn't be SC's first time doing amazing things and not getting points for them.

Placed 5th half my lifetime ago and wouldn't change it for all the trophies and rings.

Apologies all. I'm grumpy and verbose as ever this morning.

You're not wrong for being a bit grumpy about it. It's deeply unfair to this year's corps to compare it to that show. But there are some design-trope similarities that I personally find difficult to ignore.

I think part of the issue may be that it's to a certain extent a new staff and none of us are I'm not really taking that into account. Like, this is the first music book Evan VanDoren's written for a corps, right? That's a massive change from the Rennick/Shaw team, which had been together almost-uninterrupted since 2003. For a first-time-out book, it's really well done, and it fits Vanguard to a T, I'd argue.

The members are achieving what they're being given in spades, but I think the design team is...not setting them up for failure, per se, but setting them up to be unfavorably compared to previous iterations of the corps based on how the show is designed, if that makes sense.

(For what it's worth, my three favorite Vanguard shows placed seventh, first, and fourth, so I can respect the not caring about the rings.)

Edited by ftwdrummer
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I wonder who is volunteering now.  When Jim went out with the Cadets for a couple of years, most were middle aged like him.  They didn’t have kids in the corps, or marched there.  They just wanted to help the kids have a good experience. And in Jim’s case, he thought it was important to give back to the activity. He’s going to be 70 in December.  He looks great and is in good health but I’d worry about him driving at night for 16 days now.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I wonder who is volunteering now.  When Jim went out with the Cadets for a couple of years, most were middle aged like him.  They didn’t have kids in the corps, or marched there.  They just wanted to help the kids have a good experience. And in Jim’s case, he thought it was important to give back to the activity. He’s going to be 70 in November.  He looks great and is in good health but I’d worry about him driving at night for 16 days now.  

Cadets have been seeing pretty good set of volunteers, pretty much a combination of longtime Cadets volunteers, member parents and a dose of alumni. I think the better turnout is because of being treated well and APPRECIATED. But whatta I know? 

• Like 2