Thursday, August 11th “DCI World Championship PRELIMS” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, INDIANA

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

Cadets have been seeing pretty good set of volunteers, pretty much a combination of longtime Cadets volunteers, member parents and a dose of alumni. I think the better turnout is because of being treated well and APPRECIATED. But whatta I know? 

I’m sure it makes a difference. 

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Please folks, let's let people enjoy special summer bandos however they like. Some of us can't respectfully handle 12 shows in a row live and the lots are sometimes was more interesting. Minimally, 3 or more shows is beyond most Americans' attention spans. I personally cannot stand to sit in stadium seats for more than 20 minutes or so.

I get it, the cell phone use during a show even pushes my buttons.

But it's just marching band, yall. The members are so oblivious to this small stuff in the stands and don't have time to care even if it's pointed out.

And sorry, respect in this activity is way over hyped. You can't demand respect, you can only earn it. And sometimes if a show doesn't earn it right away from me, I'm leaving. My tolerance, like many others, may just be lower than yours. But don't give me a hard time for leaving if it happens to be before your favorite corps or you think it's disrespectful. It's not about you or them. I may just need to go hyperventilate in a corner for a moment. Or I'm leaving. Who cares?

Once you've had an audience member get up, mid show, scowl at you and walk out, you're ready for anything. I've been there. And my performance was better for it.

Unwavering, attentive audiences are not always the best ones.

And captive audiences are not sustainable.

I'm not sure she implied anything like that - even from just a travel/expense/low level interest of "what do a few of the competitors look like? Even JUST basic manners. Showing up and going bonkers for one corps and ignore the other one is what is is, rude. If you're gonna do it - be subtle about it. IMHO

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Please folks, let's let people enjoy special summer bandos however they like. Some of us can't respectfully handle 12 shows in a row live and the lots are sometimes was more interesting. Minimally, 3 or more shows is beyond most Americans' attention spans. I personally cannot stand to sit in stadium seats for more than 20 minutes or so.

I get it, the cell phone use during a show even pushes my buttons.

But it's just marching band, yall. The members are so oblivious to this small stuff in the stands and don't have time to care even if it's pointed out.

And sorry, respect in this activity is way over hyped. You can't demand respect, you can only earn it. And sometimes if a show doesn't earn it right away from me, I'm leaving. My tolerance, like many others, may just be lower than yours. But don't give me a hard time for leaving if it happens to be before your favorite corps or you think it's disrespectful. It's not about you or them. I may just need to go hyperventilate in a corner for a moment. Or I'm leaving. Who cares?

Once you've had an audience member get up, mid show, scowl at you and walk out, you're ready for anything. I've been there. And my performance was better for it.

Unwavering, attentive audiences are not always the best ones.

And captive audiences are not sustainable.

I didn’t give anyone a hard time.  I didn’t say a word to those people.  It was purely observational.

I marched, too.  Remember?  I was speaking as a spectator.  Not a marching member.

I’m not sure why you decided to jump in my #### but have at it. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

No, they were probably in their 40’s or 50’s with a grown son with them.  I’d say they were younger than I am but not aging well. 

attitude is everything when it comes to aging (plus cooking scratch at home, processed foods will kill you)

• Like 1

My quick thoughts on last night's top 6:

1. Blue Devils were just wonderful and amazing. I find the show extremely entertaining and the performance levels are stunning. Percussion is so well written and I cannot find enough compliments for the pit. The colors, moods, tempo changes, musical genre changes and styles that they adhere to is very different from most pits. They truly use their pit like a Broadway pit orchestra does. The drummer is superb. The guard is so captivating, and the sound of that brass section this year is riveting. Moon River was the best I've heard it. Providing they do not have a bad run they should win because they are the BEST in the activity. It's not about how many titles they have won before, it's about present day. DCI must always keep their best "foot" forward, and if the Blue Devils are still the best in the activity and the standard of performance then DCI's rankings need to reflect that. 
  2. Boston is so good, so clean, and so wonderful! The show is worthy of top 2 and I think they stay there unless they have a bad run. As I said early season the performance caption strength of this corps is top notch. From brass, to drums, to guard and marching they are a tour-de-force. Only the Blue Devils have the horse power and design to top them. 
  3. Bluecoats have taken some serious risks this summer. Who comes up with a show theme like theirs? Never in a million years would I have thought of such a concept or theme. They definitely have the design of a champion, and the risk taking, but it took them time to get the caption strength in the performance areas to the point where they could begin to challenge. They have a shot at Boston, but I think Boston would have to have a bad run. I believe the real competition for Bloo will be holding off Crown. The show is a breath of fresh air. It is fun and creative in all the way we associate with Bloo design. 
  4. Carolina Crown is a lot of FUN and one heck of a performance ensemble. I LOVE the music! The opening chants with the audience are very cool and it really gets the audience into the show. But after the intro I do believe the RHRN repetition becomes too much. Their guard has been fantastic this summer. Brass of course are always amazing, and the playing of the ballad with all that sustaining is stunning and very impressive. Not easy to do without your chops going dead. The trumpet soloist in the ballad is perhaps the best soloist on the field this summer. The closing drill is AWESOME! If you love some drill, you will love that closer. They certainly have championship talent and I very much enjoyed the percussion section last night. If anything it may be show design from a visual standpoint that, while very good, does not hold up to what Bloo, BAC, and BD are doing. But Crown still has a shot to medal. They are certainly good enough to do it, and the show does have some very big general effect moments. 
  5. Santa Clara Vanguard is always classy! This year's show is wonderful top to bottom. It just lacks some moments where it is stunning or riveting or super emotional. They have lots of good moments provided by some super strong captions but not enough BIG moments to garner higher GE scores. This could be a combination of color choices, visual design, music construction and even the overall theme. In the end the props did not add much and the music did not flow in such a way to provide better cohesiveness. But the members are incredible performers. A slightly flat performance by them could open the door just enough for The Cadets to challenge. 
  6. The Cadets were only 1.2 down from SCV. The show is a wonderful design. The concept or theme is simple to understand and very well laid out. Their use of field is extraordinary. You get the sense the Cadets really use the field vs Blue Stars or Cavaliers who feel closed in and tight. Their brass has improved so much over the summer and the percussion is sounding more like Cadets percussion by the day. I think the judges clearly saw, as I did, that the competition below the Cadets (Stars, Cavs, etc.) are simply not in the same ballpark. There is a lot of GE in the Cadets show and the guard contributes a lot to that. The chance that Cadets could catch SCV is minimal, but if SCV has a bad run then Cadets could make things interesting. I am not bored by one aspect of this show and you really get a sense that the Cadets are sounding and looking more like the great corps of the past with each performance. Bravo, Cadets! 
  • Like 5