Thursday, August 11th “DCI World Championship PRELIMS” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, INDIANA

28 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Please folks, let's let people enjoy special summer bandos however they like. Some of us can't respectfully handle 12 shows in a row live and the lots are sometimes was more interesting. Minimally, 3 or more shows is beyond most Americans' attention spans. I personally cannot stand to sit in stadium seats for more than 20 minutes or so.

I get it, the cell phone use during a show even pushes my buttons.

But it's just marching band, yall. The members are so oblivious to this small stuff in the stands and don't have time to care even if it's pointed out.

And sorry, respect in this activity is way over hyped. You can't demand respect, you can only earn it. And sometimes if a show doesn't earn it right away from me, I'm leaving. My tolerance, like many others, may just be lower than yours. But don't give me a hard time for leaving if it happens to be before your favorite corps or you think it's disrespectful. It's not about you or them. I may just need to go hyperventilate in a corner for a moment. Or I'm leaving. Who cares?

Once you've had an audience member get up, mid show, scowl at you and walk out, you're ready for anything. I've been there. And my performance was better for it.

Unwavering, attentive audiences are not always the best ones.

And captive audiences are not sustainable.

I definitely respect that there’s more for people to see if they don’t wanna be in the stands all day to watch groups, sometimes like yourself you prefer being in the lots, oftentimes when I am getting to a stadium to watch a show, I’ve debated taking that trade-off pretty much every time in staying out of the venue and watching some corps in the lots, the main reason I don’t is because it’s usually the only time I get to see corps perform on the field in person, not just my favorites, but all the corps that happen to be there that day, that’s what I am there for. For me, the show I go to has 10 or so corps and 5 of the top 6 or something of that nature performing, but for some people the only show they’re able to go to, or is near them has 5, 6, 7 corps in total performing. Smaller shows to where people aren’t missing any of them because that’s how you get a night full and your money’s worth in attending and showing out for all the corps that were able to come to a show of that type. I think people find your frank perspective on this to be a bit disrespectful, and it’s mainly just ‘cause for some people the opportunity to see corps is treated with that element of scarcity. I know you’re not intending to be disrespectful of course, everyone is coming from a different place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

You're not wrong for being a bit grumpy about it. It's deeply unfair to this year's corps to compare it to that show. But there are some design-trope similarities that I personally find difficult to ignore.

I think part of the issue may be that it's to a certain extent a new staff and none of us are I'm not really taking that into account. Like, this is the first music book Evan VanDoren's written for a corps, right? That's a massive change from the Rennick/Shaw team, which had been together almost-uninterrupted since 2003. For a first-time-out book, it's really well done, and it fits Vanguard to a T, I'd argue.

The members are achieving what they're being given in spades, but I think the design team is...not setting them up for failure, per se, but setting them up to be unfavorably compared to previous iterations of the corps based on how the show is designed, if that makes sense.

(For what it's worth, my three favorite Vanguard shows placed seventh, first, and fourth, so I can respect the not caring about the rings.)

There seems to be 2 key areas SCV is not being credited for (or being penalized for) and that is 1. how spread out the guard is for 2/3rds of the show - and how challenging that is from a timing perspective and 2. How much body/dance the hornline does.  I suspect both these demands are creating more debit for SCV then credit (e.g. it's quite easy to see the differences between hornline members when they are dancing and the guard creates less effect when so spread out)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

yup, will have an older & more experienced corps

I  have only two wishes:

1. zero voice/narration

1. something fresh & out there

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

mine is 1998 - this is my favorite in at least a decade. Glad you liked it.

COMPLETELY agree with you on both posts (and I marched 2000!) 

12 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ve been to a lot of drum corps shows in my time and this has to be the first time I’ve seen people come in for two corps at prelims. Well, not really two because the first corps they were there for, they looked at their phones and even made calls.  Then when their corps came on, they went nuts.  When they were done, got up and left and never returned.  

I’ve been to many prelims. I’ve experienced this many times earlier in day. It doesn’t bother me and most of those folks move to the good seats to see their kid and leave after their corps’ performance. It’s actually one of the things I like about the earlier shows on prelims day. It pretty loose and informal. But….they’re is always a few that spoil it for others. Good thing is that those who do, usually leave. Most of the time, we simply talk with them, ask who they root for and root along with them. 

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Not all us 20-somethings are that bad I promise!!😂

I, for one, love the 20-somethings! I think they have the best priorities and aren’t afraid of change!

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I definitely respect that there’s more for people to see if they don’t wanna be in the stands all day to watch groups, sometimes like yourself you prefer being in the lots, oftentimes when I am getting to a stadium to watch a show, I’ve debated taking that trade-off pretty much every time in staying out of the venue and watching some corps in the lots, the main reason I don’t is because it’s usually the only time I get to see corps perform on the field in person, not just my favorites, but all the corps that happen to be there that day, that’s what I am there for. For me, the show I go to has 10 or so corps and 5 of the top 6 or something of that nature performing, but for some people the only show they’re able to go to, or is near them has 5, 6, 7 corps in total performing. Smaller shows to where people aren’t missing any of them because that’s how you get a night full and your money’s worth in attending and showing out for all the corps that were able to come to a show of that type. I think people find your frank perspective on this to be a bit disrespectful, and it’s mainly just ‘cause for some people the opportunity to see corps is treated with that element of scarcity. I know you’re not intending to be disrespectful of course, everyone is coming from a different place.

Not to mention that some folks don't like crowds or may still have a lower tolerance for close proximity to others due to the pandemic. I mean, I can think of a thousand reasons why this isn't disrespectful.

I find so few things to be truly sacred in the drum corps industry. I guess it makes sense why only watching one show or leaving would be interpreted as disrespectful. In my case, it's not. It's about taking everyone's ego down a peg. Or, separate from that, protecting my own wellbeing from an activity that still doesn't effectively protect its MMs from predators and enablers.

Take your pick.

Or maybe it goes down like it did at the one show I was able to attend.  I walked to my row and politely asked if I could be let to my seat half way in. Plenty of time between performances, I didn't interrupt a thing. The person at the end refused and pointed to a few more empty seats in the row ahead of them, then asked me to take one of those. I had to ask another set of people to please stand up for me so I could take those seats. All in my corps jacket. 

I was also practically shoved off by the entire staff of my own corps while in the same jacket. I was not even invisible, I was in the way. This checks out with other alum stories being shared with me.

I didn't have a good audience experience. I'm not likely to go back.

And I'm the rude one for finding a moment's pleasure in screaming my head off for my home team....