Thursday, August 11th “DCI World Championship PRELIMS” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, INDIANA

4 minutes ago, Ashontheinternet said:

found it really funny when i noticed one person saying that Bloo's perc book is "mid" only to find out that person plays saxophone. the audacity of some people truly is appaling.

YES! As someone coming from a percussion background, I could care less about the brass book's technical stuff that I can't even relate to. If it sounds good, it sounds good. If it sounds great and it sticks with me long after I watch the show? Better.

I'm someone with one year of HS marching experience under my belt. While I may dislike certain shows, who am I to say "oh i could do better than that", especially if I don't understand the instrument and its writing in question

• Like 1

Had solid seats row 18 in 141 tonight - what a show.  Many were far more entertaining than in Allentown (was there in person too) and more clean.  I felt like Boston, Bluecoats, Phantom and Troopers improved the most by far vs anyone else since last weekend.  Placements seemed to mirror that.  I actually called the order to my friends walking out of the arena before scores were announced (hey, even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometimes).  Quick 2-3 line thoughts on top 15:

BD - just superb.  Beautiful ballad.  Ending tighter.  They move like no one else.  Thought the spread was too big though.

Boston - huge leap in performance & energy vs Allentown - esp. Guard.  One standing O JUST inspired by the guard near the end.  🔥 

BLOO - so much cleaner and more effective.  Like Boston, Bloo got the same type of crowd response without Crown’s cheesy gimmicks.

Crown.  I’ve long loved Crown, and moments like the ballad are sublime.  Other parts are a mess.  Too much cheese.  Wasted hornline.

SCV - love new ending touches.  Enjoy this show more every time I see it.  Music does feel a bit too much the same end to end

Cadets - so great to see them on the rise with signature Cadets feel.  Strong performance across captions

Blue Stars - great beginning, ballad & end, other parts lag.  Crazy difficult guard, but noticeably not clean.  Cavies pulling even

Cavaliers - guard improved a lot, strong perc. Hate the lack of real, expansive drill.  Too compact.  Music is very good. 

Phantom - electric performance, and SO MUCH cleaner.  Underscored in Brass.  best music book of the year.  PR is Regiment again

Mandarins - brass line being exposed as others clean.  Great show.  Singer was great tonight.  The show Peaked too early.

Colts - felt most audience engagement all season from them.  Didn’t feel proficient but dry tonight.  Nice job

Troopers.  Holy Smokes - that ending.  ❤️  Finally getting brass , percussion & GE credit. Huge improvement in cleanliness & guard

Crossmen - strong brass performance, but overall show design lacking GE.  I think Troopers spread them a bit further Friday

Blue Knights - best show all season, but performers weren’t given a finalist vehicle, noticeable weakness in movement & perc

Scouts - great late season growth.  Better performers than their show design.  Trending in the right direction talent wise.

Cant wait to be wowed again tomorrow night - with also the high perspective low in Sec 640.  Wish I could see Troopers & Regiment 10 more times.

Finally, do not miss the Troopers drum major at the end of the show.  Incredible moment tonight.

Harvey

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, henry7184 said:

IMO Bluecoats have out-cooled the Blue Devils.

This confuses me because I don’t think BD has really ever tried to be “cool”.  I get the sense that BD is more on the “we’re going to do what we’re going to do” side of things. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, skevinp said:

You don’t know witch show I’m referring to?

Oh no, I'm a big Wicked Games fan here. Was just wondering if there was anything darker or more serious behind the scenes, as a big horror person that sounded...intriguing out of context😂

Edited by Orwellian Wiress

14 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Oh no, I'm a big Wicked Games fan here. Was just wondering if there was anything darker or more serious behind the scenes, as a big horror person that sounded...intriguing out of context😂

I think he was talking about Phantom.

Who had a period there where they had enough shows where people were killed off that the difference in placement when they killed someone vs when they didn't was almost statistically significant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

For god’s sake, that drum set player has me going crazy. Where do they find these kids?

Seriously, he’s so underrated. BD drum set is so good!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Weird how we go from worshipping a group to pointing out every mistake in the next group 

200.gif

Exactly!

After getting back from the theater and having a later dinner, I ventured to DCP to read the commentary. It’s absolutely comical how it’s a love fest prior to BD. Then BD goes on and everyone points out the “cracks”, “drops”, and “intonation issues”.  It’s as if people forget that BD is made up of kids too who work equally as hard as everybody else who also deserve our praise and encouragement. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rylan said:

Exactly!

After getting back from the theater and having a later dinner, I ventured to DCP to read the commentary. It’s absolutely comical how it’s a love fest prior to BD. Then BD goes on and everyone points out the “cracks”, “drops”, and “intonation issues”.  It’s as if people forget that BD is made up of kids too who work equally as hard as everybody else who also deserve our praise and encouragement. 

This happens every year that BD has a significant lead after Quarter Finals.  Some people are so desperate for BD to not win that they focus on any mistake that happens.  They never want to focus on how beautiful the solos were last night, or how much better the guard was than just a week ago, how their drumline full of rookies actually came in first I think, how wonderfully they move, how much cleaner they are from a week ago.  Nope, just any problem that occurs.  It's comical at this point, because it has been happening for the past 13 or so years.  Ever since BD started winning titles again on a regular basis.  I just chalk it up to jealousy.  I know everyone wants their favorite corps to win, but that is not possible.  To jump on the "anybody but BD" bandwagon is now so popular that as a BD fan you just have to acknowledge it exists, and then just chuckle.  The Boston Crusaders have a great show this year.  If you like their show more than BD's than just cheer loudly for them if you are fortunate enough to be at DCI, but please do not boo BD after their performance.  If their show is not to your taste just stay seated.  One more thing for Boston Crusaders fans, no matter who gets first, I believe Boston will place the highest they ever have at DCI Finals this year.  That is a huge accomplishment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, jmc5682 said:

This happens every year that BD has a significant lead after Quarter Finals.  Some people are so desperate for BD to not win that they focus on any mistake that happens.  They never want to focus on how beautiful the solos were last night, or how much better the guard was than just a week ago, how their drumline full of rookies actually came in first I think, how wonderfully they move, how much cleaner they are from a week ago.  Nope, just any problem that occurs.  It's comical at this point, because it has been happening for the past 13 or so years.  Ever since BD started winning titles again on a regular basis.  I just chalk it up to jealousy.  I know everyone wants their favorite corps to win, but that is not possible.  To jump on the "anybody but BD" bandwagon is now so popular that as a BD fan you just have to acknowledge it exists, and then just chuckle.  The Boston Crusaders have a great show this year.  If you like their show more than BD's than just cheer loudly for them if you are fortunate enough to be at DCI, but please do not boo BD after their performance.  If their show is not to your taste just stay seated.  One more thing for Boston Crusaders fans, no matter who gets first, I believe Boston will place the highest they ever have at DCI Finals this year.  That is a huge accomplishment.

Did somebody actually boo the Blue Devils' performance last night?  While that would be a classless act, it also makes no sense because they are a great drum corps. 

• Like 3