Thursday, August 11th “DCI World Championship PRELIMS” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, INDIANA

13 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I can assure you that BD is in to win it. Which may be what separates them from the it’s all about the experience mindset from others. It’s important that the cast have a safe enjoyable summer band camp. However there’s no better experience than winning 🥇 

As anyone who has ever competed in anything, or who knows someone else who has competed in anything, if you stand no real chance of winning from the outset, the season will be about  the experience, and developing skills, and the thrill of being part of something.  If, however, you have a realistic shot at winning, all of that takes a backseat to bringing home “the big toy”, as Poppy calls it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

What happened last night was tame compared to the chorus of "boos" rained down on Star of Indiana at the first Tour of Champions show in Madison back in '91. Joe Bruno had to quiet the crowd down it was so bad.

fans in Madison are class acts

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

The guy next to me yesterday asked if I had a favorite corps.  I said no, the corps I marched are dead and gone for years. I have favorite shows. I like everyone. Some of their fans, that is a different story altogether. 

It would be easy to become jaded after watching as much drum corps as I have but I’m glad I still have the joie de vivre to get very excited over a great brassline. 

Terri- you spoke French!

Obscure Addams Family joke

• Haha 2

What happened last night was tame compared to the chorus of "boos" rained down on Star of Indiana at the first Tour of Champions show in Madison back in '91. Joe Bruno had to quiet the crowd down it was so bad.

I was there, too.  I thought I was going to die because I was so embarrassed.  I really love that show and I did at the time, too.  I was surrounded by negativity in the stands. A very sad day. 

Pines of Rome year? I thought they only boo'd 93 Medea

Edited by tedrick
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I can assure you that BD is in to win it. Which may be what separates them from the it’s all about the experience mindset from others. It’s important that the cast have a safe enjoyable summer band camp. However there’s no better experience than winning 🥇 

I agree, but I will add to this from a different perspective. I think the Blue Devils organization is dedicated to the ideals of the drum corps activity, especially from the inception of DCI in 1972. It is a competitive activity. So the idea is to compete. Competition isn't everything, but the ideals of the activity were to foster growth, personal achievement and teamwork through competition. Competition can push people and ensembles to greater heights. It pushes the designers and management. Yes, DCI is an artistic activity and the palette for what can be done in this era is vastly more wide open than what was allowed in the 70s and 80s, but at the core of this artistry and imagination is competition. It drives the activity forward. It gives the performers, designers, teachers, and administrators goals to shoot for. Competition is good providing we are all mature enough to handle the drive, the pressure, and the results...win or lose. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Competition is good providing we are all mature enough to handle the drive, the pressure, and the results...win or lose. 

I would argue there are fewer staffs that can handle this than let on. Perhaps I should say were? Hope that's the case.

I get scritchy about this topic because some staffs turn their MMs into whipping boys when their shows aren't winning. And in the case that designers over or undershot the difficulty of the book as compared to MM ability,  in relation to the competitive field... well, it's pretty unfair to turn it in the performers. That's not a mature staff.

I hope this has changed. When I see enough formerly bad actors still working in the top ten, I tend to doubt it has.

• Like 1