St. Joe's Classic IX

St. Joe's Classic IX, Saturday April 27

I was there as a spectator. For those of you who couldn't make the show, here are a few notes... It was a fun night of preseason drum corps at Kodak Park's Theater on the Ridge.

I enjoyed the Steel City Ambassadors. They were a blast from the past. I felt like I had been transported back to the 60's! (for better or worse?)

The Crusaders music is being done by Donnie Allen with Steve Cooley. They are doing "Adventures in the key of S - the music of Arturo Sandoval". They had about 36 horns and sounded just fine with the power of Latin jazz.

St. Joe's, they had about 60 horns including former Appleknockers Ken Petersen, Mike Brown, and Paul Gneiss. They performed an entertaining show which included a moving tribute piece to the late Ed Cozzolino, "One Hand, One Heart".

In my opinion, the Empire Statesmen were the on corps of

the night. Lead by David Bruni, who is a show of his own, they wowed

the crowd with sparkling horn work from their 44 bugle line capped by

the DCA soprano individuals champion, Joey Pero. You have to hear this dude to believe what he does on the horn! It makes you feel the need to go home and practice! Their drum line is top notch, too.

The Syracuse Brigadiers are 60+ horns strong with a huge, tight drum

line including a very active and large mallet section. Their music is

complex and demanding and they are loaded with talent from top to

bottom...truely one of the best senior corps ever. However, tonight

their performance seemed strangely uninspired. They put on a good,

but very business-like performance. Perhaps the dfficulty level kept

them from playing with more abandon?? I am sure by the time summer is

here, they will be something to behold.

The grand finale, ah yes! As the call was put out for all former

drum corps members to join in, I headed down to the stage to join the

200+ horn players (the soprano in the green T shirt at the left end of the contra line)

http://www.mightystjoes.com/images/Classic...randFinale2.htm

as we played Auld Lang Syne while uniformed representatives of the many defunct upstate drum corps were individually announced and came to stage front and center. The Appleknockers got a big hand as legendary pre DCA soprano soloist Ken Petersen marched in donned in the full regalia of the white, green, and red of Winnek Post of the 1940's! What a sight! If anyone knows if there was a video made of this ceremony, let me know!!

We closed out with Donny Allen's stirring arrangement of God Bless

America. The excitement in his eyes as he conducted us was priceless.

Man, what a sound!! I felt like the last chord lifted me off my feet.

It was a real out of body experience!

Many thanks to the St. Joe's Alumni corps organizers for putting this event together. It certainly warmed the hearts of many drum corps fans from the hibernation of the northeastern winter!

• 1 month later...

I got my video today and it is well worth the money ($15)! It is very well done by Summerville Video Productions and offers a fascinating view of some pre-season senior corps.

Check it out and see what I meant when I said that the Empire Statesmen were the ON corps of the night. (you won't hear solo work like that in any junior corps in my memory)

Oh, yes, the contact for the tape is Email (JPero1@aol.com) or by phone (347-351-9338) or Summerville Video Productions, 177 Avery Street, Buffalo, NY 14216 to place an order.