Friday, August 12th “DCI World Championship SEMIFINALS” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, INDIANA

Just now, ThePlanets said:

The giver is a book that I actually read. This is a great show that conveys the idea pretty well

I whipped through it after @Chief Guns tipped me off and yeah.  They really do a lot of little things that communicate the story.

- Use of white to show the conformity and blandness of the utopia/dystopian community.

- The bicycle the kids get when they become Nines.

- The ceremony of Twelve when kids get their job assignments for the community.

- The ideology behind the community "from a society of chaos to a society of harmony."

- groups of 4/5 for the family units

- subtle introduction of color as Jonas begins to "see beyond"

- the Giver as the piano as he began "seeing beyond" by perceiving music

- the social isolation Jonas feels when he becomes the Receiver

- the progression for "memories" as he begins to receive them to "Fear Memories" as he realizes the community's reason for consolidating all the history and memory in to one person, and "Never fear memories" as he decides to leave the community thereby returning the memories to the community.  

- I realized the back flip is the moment when he leaves the community and the memories go flooding into the community on this read.  Prior to that I sort of wanted him on the bike and riding out the back right tunnel to end the show for that.  

• Like 5

Just now, CAtenhut said:

Congrats to your son on a historic season and best of luck to him next year whatever he decides to do. 

Thank you! Much appreciated! As for next year, I will just leave it at this after talking to him early this morning..................

No particular order..................Concord, Boston, Sacramento, San Diego.

• Like 3

After the kids who only known anything about drum w**** for 2 years told me he's been around DCI for over 40 years but the show was about. I really enjoyed the Pacific Crest show

In the stadium, PC's pitch bend got a nice "bloo" from a group of fans. 

• Like 6

Wow! Crest came to play today. That was an excellent performance. It’s fun identifying all the props. I loved the homage to past while looking forward. Wonderful show. Thank You PC

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I whipped through it after @Chief Guns tipped me off and yeah.  They really do a lot of little things that communicate the story.

- Use of white to show the conformity and blandness of the utopia/dystopian community.

- The bicycle the kids get when they become Nines.

- The ceremony of Twelve when kids get their job assignments for the community.

- The ideology behind the community "from a society of chaos to a society of harmony."

- groups of 4/5 for the family units

- subtle introduction of color as Jonas begins to "see beyond"

- the Giver as the piano as he began "seeing beyond" by perceiving music

- the social isolation Jonas feels when he becomes the Receiver

- the progression for "memories" as he begins to receive them to "Fear Memories" as he realizes the community's reason for consolidating all the history and memory in to one person, and "Never fear memories" as he decides to leave the community thereby returning the memories to the community.  

- I realized the back flip is the moment when he leaves the community and the memories go flooding into the community on this read.  Prior to that I sort of wanted him on the bike and riding out the back right tunnel to end the show for that.  

This is interesting.  

I wonder what would happen If a Corps did a show called ‘5 kick-*ss songs & some cool drill’?

Just now, CAtenhut said:

No VK shark. Sorry, everyone. 

I think he's under the turf over on the left 20 yard line if you have a shovel. 

• Haha 1

Ok, I'm going to wax poetic about Pacific Crest for a minute. 

I think it's safe to call them "Most Improved" from beginning to end of the 2022 season. They came out at Corps at the Crest in early July and think most of us were just...shocked?...by the number of holes marched, the smaller corps size in general, the seemingly disparate design, and they capped it off the evening by landing a final number in the high 50s, I think. Oof. 

I mentioned this yesterday after their Prelims performance, but I really do still see shades of the 2019 PC corps in there today & yesterday. They REALLY pulled it together at the end of the season. Not just execution - but design and member buy-in were all clearly achieved by the season's end. I hope they retain a good amount of members; yes, this was probably a slog of a season for the unit, but if the staff & members can pull not just the corps but the design over the finish line like this (thriving and not limping), that speaks tomes to the skill sets at the root of what they're doing over in Diamond Bar. I am seriously impressed with how everyone on the field and behind the scenes cleaned and grew this season. Yea, maybe not a banner finish in the numbers and placements, but I hope everyone involved with the corps is exceptionally proud of where they landed the 2022 season. It takes real grit and focus to pull off such exceptional growth.

• Like 7