Friday, August 12th “DCI World Championship SEMIFINALS” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, INDIANA

5 minutes ago, jmc5682 said:

They have the youngest corps they have had in years. 

Not saying it's not true, and I certainly don't have any direct knowledge, but I feel like I read this same claim about BD's membership age every single season. Mathematically it can't be true every year, yet I have the distinct impression I keep reading it

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Musicman1084 said:

BD guard needs to win by a spread of 0.45 over Boston tomorrow for a solo win of the Zingali.

Crown brass needs to win by a spread of 0.40 over BD tomorrow for a solo win of the Ott.

Three groups are still in contention for the Sanford tomorrow.

• BD is currently 0.025 over Bluecoats in 2nd, and 0.10 over SCV in third.
  • If BD wins percussion tomorrow, they win the Sanford.
  • For Bluecoats to win the Sanford outright, they'd need to beat BD by 0.10 and, if 2nd on the night, not trail SCV by more than 0.15.
  • For SCV to win the Sanford outright, they need to beat Bluecoats by 0.20 and BD by 0.25 tomorrow.

Concur

16 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Not saying it's not true, and I certainly don't have any direct knowledge, but I feel like I read this same claim about BD's membership age every single season. Mathematically it can't be true every year, yet I have the distinct impression I keep reading it

I guess you did not pay much attention to the Age Out Ceremony.  Not very many BD members in that group.  It does not matter.  I do think every season is more interesting if you have more than one corps winning major shows and competing for the DCI Gold medal.

10 minutes ago, jmc5682 said:

I guess you did not pay much attention to the Age Out Ceremony.  Not very many BD members in that group.

Sure, the number of age-outs in the group can be an indicator of the average age of the overall corps.

Or it can be misleading. It's possible, for example, for the members of Corps A with 10 age-outs to be older, on average, than the members of Corps B with 20 age-outs. It depends on the age mix of the rest of the corps.

And it's important to keep relative age in mind. Even if it's true that the members in BD's ranks might be the "youngest corps they've had in years," is it younger in relation to other corps? Or are those other corps also the youngest they've been in years?

Certainly, if any corps' age profile is young -- either with respect to itself or to other corps -- that bodes well for the corps if retention is strong.

But strong retention is a positive factor at any age profile, so that brings us back to the actual age profile of the corps right now and how that age compares to others. Even without hard data at hand, experience does seem to bear out that average age does generally correlate with score; the higher the age, the higher the score. Not always, but I'll wager the fit is pretty close.

If I'm right about that, then the correlation would predict that BD is usually the oldest corps on the field, year in and year out. Yet I seem to keep reading about how surprisingly young BD is.

The only way to know for sure is to see the member-by-member age data, and corps are famously tight-fisted with that kind of information.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In yea olden days Corps that had finished performing often sat on back sideline stands.  Anaheim Kingsmen would file into the sands.  When all members were in place they would remove hats in unison and all sit down at same time.  

If they were in uniform, they remained in character.   

After performing, the guard would march to the bathroom or drinking fountain.  They would stand at parade rest and when it was their turn (in pairs) they would snap to attention, fall out, and go in.  When they were finished they would come out, fall back in line and snap into parade rest.  

We were not allowed to be seen in partial uniform.  We went to shows dressed up; guys wore slacks and sport coats and girls wore dresses.   

Sounds archaic in 2022, but it was our thing and part of the military bearing of Drum Corps history.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Adore Blue Stars’ guard book but achievement wise Cadets shouldn’t be trailing them. No sir. 

Achievement isn’t just how clean you are, it’s how clean you are relative to the written book. Ie if you stood and did perfect drop spins for 12 mins your achievement score would be very low. 

BS written book contains WAY More content that Cadets and relatively BS achievement therefore is higher. 

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Ours wasn't as big but Blue Stars alumni in 2014 where we played alot of old music.

YES. Along with that classic uniform tribute in the competition show too.  

2 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

Achievement isn’t just how clean you are, it’s how clean you are relative to the written book. Ie if you stood and did perfect drop spins for 12 mins your achievement score would be very low. 

BS written book contains WAY More content that Cadets and relatively BS achievement therefore is higher. 

I get that, but content is also a matter of being clean enough that the book can be readily assessed from up top, and BS still has long phrases of work that are too dirty to consistently read. You can tell that it’s hard but you can’t always tell what it is. That shouldn’t be winning achievement against a mature, controlled guard with a difficult, clean book like Cadets imho. 

• Like 2