Friday, August 12th “DCI World Championship SEMIFINALS” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, INDIANA

36 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

If I recall, in a recent season they did have two percussion judges. One was a field judge and the other ensemble. The intent was to get a better read on the front ensembles. I guess now that they restrict the field judge and keep them off the field, they felt they didn’t need the second one. IDK.

they changed it to 2 music analysis judges, one with a brass or winds background, and one with a percussion background. in a dome, it was tough to hear a lot to do a deep percussive dive into catching everything upstairs

12 minutes ago, Trumpet2 said:

They haven’t here, but I’ve heard Dan do it at the shows he announces

Dan will do whatever he can to hype things up. I have heard him take liberties in how he announces a corps entrance no other announcer does. And he'd DP, he can get away with it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m. Not. ANONYMOUS. I’m also not giving out my seat number this week because I don’t want some crazy on here coming over by me. 

i'll wave if i see you on tv

13 minutes ago, Trumpet2 said:

I think it’s a lack of actual LOS staff. They have a lot of “DCI Volunteers” this year

i have noticed a shortage at other performance venues as well. I was surprised however at how many volunteers Allentown had...more than usual

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

We can agree on that.  It is BECAUSE THEY ARE ANONYMOUS. I can guarantee-####-tee you they wouldn’t act this way in person-to-person communication.

thats why I use my real name

8 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Sure, the number of age-outs in the group can be an indicator of the average age of the overall corps.

Or it can be misleading. It's possible, for example, for the members of Corps A with 10 age-outs to be older, on average, than the members of Corps B with 20 age-outs. It depends on the age mix of the rest of the corps.

And it's important to keep relative age in mind. Even if it's true that the members in BD's ranks might be the "youngest corps they've had in years," is it younger in relation to other corps? Or are those other corps also the youngest they've been in years?

Certainly, if any corps' age profile is young -- either with respect to itself or to other corps -- that bodes well for the corps if retention is strong.

But strong retention is a positive factor at any age profile, so that brings us back to the actual age profile of the corps right now and how that age compares to others. Even without hard data at hand, experience does seem to bear out that average age does generally correlate with score; the higher the age, the higher the score. Not always, but I'll wager the fit is pretty close.

If I'm right about that, then the correlation would predict that BD is usually the oldest corps on the field, year in and year out. Yet I seem to keep reading about how surprisingly young BD is.

The only way to know for sure is to see the member-by-member age data, and corps are famously tight-fisted with that kind of information.

In DCI Drum  Corps, experience is far more important than age too  (.. and music/ Guard marcher talent trumps both ). For example, some marchers in DCI are 20-22, but marching their first year in DCI Drum Corps and with all that their 1st year of touring entails with that new experience for themselves. Some 19-20 year olders, on the other hand, have marched in 1 or more Corps and have 5 or 6 years or more under their belt of DCI instruction and DCI touring ( heres looking at you Blue Devils, and a few others ).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

In DCI Drum  Corps, experience is far more important than age too  (.. and music/ Guard marcher talent trumps both ). For example, some marchers in DCI are 20-22, but marching their first year in DCI Drum Corps and with all that their 1st year of touring entails with that new experience for themselves. Some 19-20 year olders, on the other hand, have marched in 1 or more Corps and have 5 or 6 years or more under their belt of DCI instruction and DCI touring ( heres looking at you Blue Devils, and a few others ).

There isn’t an instructor in the activity who will argue against experience, because experience makes it possible to put more challenging shows on the field—and execute them well.

Historically there has been a direct and inarguable correlation between age/experience and achievement. This is why I have asked to see the average and mean age of world class corps. I would bet it is 90% aligned with the final rankings.

Feeder corps are the best way to build institutional experience and ability. Thus: BD B and C, and SCV Cadets.

Winter Guard has probably had more to do with the growth of drum corps guard books than anything else. 

The top world class corps are semi-professional level memberships. Taught by professionals. The lower tier corps are part time organizations with part time and volunteer management, and their memberships are mostly high schoolers in their first or second years in the activity. If those members stick with the activity they will almost all move to the orgs with more stability and resources, because it provides a more rewarding experience for them.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2

Sorry if this was posted earlier -- I skipped a lot of posts trying to keep up.

From Twitter: Crossmen and Blue Knights set the all-time highest score for a 13th- and 14th-place finisher.

Thank you both for a great season!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dumb question, but is semis being replayed today? I checked the Flomarching streams and it’s only the sound sport competition stuff right now. Just curious since I had to miss the stream last night.