Prelim take sways and surprises. Share yours…

I’ve only seen everything on FLO, so I knew my jaws would drop. Loved every minute yesterday but these stand out.

The moxie of Open Class!

Academy live is much much better. That ending is perfect. Made me want to get up and chase Willy for that golden ticket!

Trooper Lord Troopers! Brilliant! What to say other than that. 
Phantom brass! And a little thing like that kick halt has such nostalgia impact that Phantom.

Cavaliers… Love me some Little Fugue!

Cadets…There they are! You can capture your past and modernize it. 
Top Five!!! All are better live. Crowns brass!!! 
Bluecoats…on Flo never cared for it. Live is a different story. Had me from the start. 
Boston is my dark horse fav!! Seemed reserved but after Crown….well you know. Crowd was in a frenzy. 
BD….They can back up everything they do!

There was a father and son who sat in the no show seats in front of me. The father was green to everything but very invested because his son marched in a smaller open class corps from the south. Dad is learning a lot. His son is 18. He mentioned he had auditioned for a world class corps but didn’t make it. Kudos to him for continuing to open class. Son joined him during the meat of world class. This young man could hardly contain himself during performances. And dad followed his lead. He loved Bluecoats. I asked him if he could march any corps which would it be. Blooo of course. I told him not to give up. If you want to stay in open class do. If not show your corps much love and get that experience. His Dad said he’s 18 and they are in for the long run. I’m sure this wonderful kid will march on Saturday night sometime in his future. By the way mom was there too. She works for Flo marching. ( I didn’t say anything but “Oh Really” and left it at that) 

That was my biggest takeaway!!!!

• Like 9

Went to Big Loud and Live and I was completely blown away. Now imagine if I was watching live...

• Like 1

I said before prelims started that the results of prelims is really going to show us the quality of the instructional staff of each corps. 

most corps got 4-5 days of full rehearsal days before prelims. That’s a LOT. Any jumps up and down can be attributed to the quality of rehearsal time each corps received. This includes quality of instruction, ability for staff to focus the members, and the ability for the members to internalize feedback. 

Boston, Bloo, and BD have a fantastic staff in place, but we already knew that. 

Despite Mandarins being overtaken, having a staff that has been able to consistently keep them in finals means they have something good going on. Phantom’s staff was very much a question mark but what they’re doing is clearly working. Cadets’ staff was also somewhat of a question mark and what they’re doing is clearly working. I mean look at some of those sub caption scores! The troopers design team has certainly set them up for success, but credit to their instructional staff and numbers for their late season push into a potential finals spot. Same with Colts. Cavies had some extenuating circumstances and the staff have done a fantastic job digging them out of a hole they had no control over. 

Blue Stars and Crown seem to be two corps where the design team has set the members up for failure. Both corps have very cluttered and unfocused designs and the Blue Stars’ guard book is off the charts difficult as usual, making it very hard for the members to maximize the show. No doubt how talented both corps are but both corps stagnating is probably some combination of subpar instruction (relative to the corps around them) and poor design. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I am going to take a moment to shout out Open Class. I want to make sure this doesn't get lost as we wind down the 2022 season, but the other night at Finals, we saw the four highest scoring shows in Open Class history at each of those placements since they moved to World Class sheets. And it's the first time we have four Open Class corps break 80+ at finals. 

SCVC 83.550 Highest scoring 1st place show.

Gold 81.900 Highest scoring 2nd place show.

BDB 81.588 Highest scoring 3rd place show.

Spartans 81.025 Highest scoring 4th place show.

I saw them all yesterday from 7th Regiment on up..  Watching open class (formerly Div. II/III) has always one of the best parts of my drum corps experience.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I saw them all yesterday from 7th Regiment on up..  Watching open class (formerly Div. II/III) has always one of the best parts of my drum corps experience.

I enjoyed prelims and finals on Monday and Tuesday. Every corps brought it and I was entertained from start to finish. Regardless if my son stays at open class next year or moves to world class, I am going back to Marion next year. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I enjoyed prelims and finals on Monday and Tuesday. Every corps brought it and I was entertained from start to finish. Regardless if my son stays at open class next year or moves to world class, I am going back to Marion next year. 

I don’t know if I ever told you but my kid marched Div. II/III for five seasons.  It was a very tight-knit group. 

• Like 5