An intense frustration.

I kind of feel like for every such post, there are 10 posts complaining about it.  

And no, I don’t think it is spreading at a rapid rate.  I’ve been here for 15 years, and it actually seems less prevalent than it used to be.  The complaining about it seems to have increased dramatically of late, however, so maybe that is why it seems more prevalent.  

People are entitled to hold opinions and conjecture about things whether I agree with them or not.  We can engage them in legitimate debate based on logic and facts, or we can ignore them if they are unwilling to support their opinions when challenged.

I’m not sure what complaining about it, other than directly to those directly responsible, accomplishes.  

Sincerely,

A Blue Devils fan for 25 years.  

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 5

Well, get used to it because after tomorrow night you'll be hearing it even more.  Blue Devils raise the bar to which all Drum Corps should ascribe too, but some don't see it that way due to envy and jealousy. 

It's a story as old as time. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Saw the show here in Atlanta.... Blue Devils are so OBVIOUSLY the show to beat this year and deserving of their GOLD MEDAL today.  If you can't put  your bias aside and see the level of the performance and the nuance of this corp...down to every single rifle toes is at the same exact same height across all performers.... we sat in awe as we watched the show.

• Like 7

Full disclosure: I am a huge Boston Crusaders fan. My drum corps experience as a fan goes back to 1975, and I still believe 27th Lancers should have won in 1980 and no one commenting in this thread will change my mind. I am hoping for an upset tonight, but so too are fans of Bloo, and I am sure there are some Crown fans still holding on to the hope that judges with award them a title right here, right now. 

First of all I believe the Blue Devils “hate” is more of an online thing than a reality of people in the stands. There have been some moments, no question. I wasn’t in attendance but heard stories of Pasadena being pretty heated in 2007.  In 2008 many claimed that the applause and cheers of the crowd were more because Blue Devils lost than Phantom’s winning, but it’s pretty exciting for a corps to go from 3rd in prelims, 2nd in semi’s, and 1st at finals, so I don’t agree with that. Similar things were said in 2011 when Cadets won with “Angels and Demons.” The G7 threat did not win BD too many fans either, but with other corps such as Cadets, G7 anger was geared more towards its former director, Cavies and Phantom were no longer the threat they once were, Crown and Bloo had not yet won. SCV seems to have been unscathed from that situation. 2012 and 2013 were the last years I recall there was real animosity towards Blue Devils in the stands, not  just online. 2014 BD was a huge favorite. It happens. In 2017 they were loved. True, in 2019 people thought Bloo was robbed, and I agree to some extent, but I also know when two corps are scored so close, that’s going to be the reaction and fans of each corps will have opinions.

As I said earlier, I am a BAC fan. I hope for the best for Boston tonight. Crown and Bloo have a spot in my heart too. This does not mean I hate BD. If I critique BD online and there are reasons to do so, it does not mean I’m a hater. If I believe another coros is better and can defend my opinion, that does not mean I am a hater. If you believe Crown should be faring better and win the Ott or Bloo has a more GE packed show, it does not mean you hate BD either. This is competition and judging is subjective. There will be varying opinions. 

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Tim K said:

If I critique BD online and there are reasons to do so, it does not mean I’m a hater.

Legit critique is one thing....people actively stating that BD buys the judges or that the results are predetermined a la Tony Schlecta from the old VFW days are another thing entirely.

Same for #####ing about things like not moving for a fast technical passage and then not doing the same when another corps does it (Bloo in 2018 and the part of the opener 91 BD called The Bopster), and then not giving any cred for when they DO move while playing a similar passage (2017 and Flight of the Bumblebee).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Well, get used to it because after tomorrow night you'll be hearing it even more.  Blue Devils raise the bar to which all Drum Corps should ascribe too, but some don't see it that way due to envy and jealousy. 

It's a story as old as time. 

Let's get something straight about a situation that is rarely if ever discussed on fan sites like this. The success of the Blue Devils in the contemporary setting in which now live directly correlates to money. It's easy to raise the bar with the money BD has to throw out year after year and show after show. Most drum corps don't have the financial resources of BD to buy championship instruction and talent to match. It's about envy and jealousy for me. It's about who has the money in modern DCI. Money now determines who does well consistently and who rarely if ever will. There are non-profit organizations that attempt to achieve work much more important and serious than BD does and that attempt to fulfill their missions with much less financial resources than BD brings in year after year. My point is that money is buys championship and consistent placement in modern DCI more any other single factor. Raise the bar equates to spend more money.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1