An intense frustration.

10 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

BD and SCV are the largest music Ed organizations in DCI. They recruit differently, train differently, and operate differently. They are at least one model that other orgs can follow with predictable outcomes. 

No one argues this. Well at least no one who has a clue about DCI.

I disagree. I think most people on a forum like this want to act like success has nothing to do with money and everything to do with talent, achieving more than people thought they could, building a unity of purpose, and so on. They have a very Peter Pan's "neverland" approach to DCI.

I, for one, have more important priorities with my finances than giving to DCI precisely because I don't support the spending of millions some of these corps spend on these shows year after year. I think it's unnecessary and wasteful.

Edited by Drum Corps Is Now a Bust

My issue has always been that BD follows a very time tested show design script that it knows will be rewarded—because it is a known template for successful scores.

I simply love innovation. That’s why I am a UX designer by trade. The BD “formula” is clear to anyone who follows DCI. Other corps have things that are their brand. It is what it is.

If the activity doesn’t think the shows being produced and are winning are in the best direction for DCI, then the activity can change how shows are scored and judged. It has done that several times over the years. The emphasis on GE is the biggest change ever implemented and look at the shows that resulted.

That said, if and when DCI changes it’s scoring methodology—the top orgs won’t change. 

Edited by MikeRapp

7 minutes ago, Drum Corps Is Now a Bust said:

I disagree. I think most people on a forum like this want to act like success has nothing to do with money and everything to do with talent, achieving more than people thought they could, building a unity of purpose, and so on. They have a very Peter Pan's "neverland" approach to DCI.

I, for one, have more important priorities with my finances than giving to DCI precisely because I don't support the spending of millions some of these corps spend on these shows year after year. I think it's unnecessary and wasteful.

Wasteful? It’s a business that makes money. It isn’t wasteful, it’s how to succeed.

5 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Well, get used to it because after tomorrow night you'll be hearing it even more.  Blue Devils raise the bar to which all Drum Corps should ascribe too, but some don't see it that way due to envy and jealousy. 

It's a story as old as time. 

In terms of demand and innovation, Blue Devils have never “raised the bar.”  At no point in their history were they known as the corps who had the hardest drill, or hardest music book. They are rarely ever the crowd favorite. 

They’ve figured out a way to churn out the same old crap year after year and do it very cleanly. It’s like a conveyor belt at a fish factory. Very efficient but it still smells like fish. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Drum Corps Is Now a Bust said:

Thank you for admitting what so many others in the forum do not wish to acknowledge, money is an important and top ingredient to having the opportunity to win in DCI. The focus on the need for more and more money, however, is what has now turned me off to the activity. I don't respect an activity that dangles the carrot of a possible championship in front of organization if they spend more and more money. 

I really think you are missing the point MikeRapp makes in answering you.. BD win when they do produce the designs and have the talents to perform the designs and the judges rewards that, the same for many other corps in the top with them. You are saying it is money why top corps win, NO they win in spite having the money to run their organizations, they produce excellence on the field, THEY DON'T BUY CHAMPIONSHIP, please stop with that narrative. In anything you do in life you need money to keep it going and to yes to be successful within. Now what you put out is what will get rewarded.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I still believe 27th Lancers should have won in 1980 and no one commenting in this thread will change my mind. 

First of all I believe the Blue Devils “hate” is more of an online thing than a reality of people in the stands. 

1980 looked like an amazing year. SOA was my favorite but you can't deny the percussion talent of 27th and the Bridgemen show was so fun.

As for the "hate" being more online- I do agree. The vast majority of people in the stands appreciate the hard work and effort that all the corps put in. I don't see BD hate (or hate for any corps) in the stands but there is often less audience enthusiasm from their performances and some grumbling when they win gold and 2nd place doesn't beat them.

Also as a side note- I wrote my post before I read yours so it wasn't directed towards you.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, theonlyfizzle said:

So you are able to see the other corps potentials over BD and not recognized the reasons BD being rewarded by the judges, in any way shape or form ?  Ok got you.. I disagree with so many things you said, and yes BD have haters every year! but it has gotten better and way less with them, but to say there isn't any is a blind statement.

Don't take us (BD fans) all the same. We recognized hate when we see it, as do we recognize real criticism, favoritism, personal preference and opinions when we see those too. We are not calling everyone an hater, But we do know what an hater is and how they speak, it's very clear.

I did not say there are no Blue Devil haters, I said it is more an online issue than in the stands. Case in point, on Thursday night some on FB and DCP said the response from the crowds to BD was muted at best. They was not my experience in Lucas Oil Stadium. The people around me were on their feet quite a few times during Blue Devils’ show, especially after “Moon River.” I also said nothing about the judging of Blue Devils or merits of the other corps. 

• Like 4

I'd usually place myself in the "Anyone but BD" camp. But perversely that's not a dig at BD - it's more a dig at everyone else for not stepping up to the plate and consistently taking them on year after year. Top 2 every year since 2008 and 7 titles in that time including - what - 5? undefeated seasons?

I'll admit I'm usually not a big fan of BD's shows and style but cannot argue how well they do it. But that's my issue not theirs.

I don't really care who wins I'd just like to see a close, competitive season more consistently (I know competition for other places is often hotly contested but in a competitive environment the top spot is always the main one people will watch). Again this year the battle for the top spot was effectively over by the first head to head meeting of the big few (Broken Arrow I think) in mid July.  

But BD are doing exactly what they set out to do every year. Surely the aim is to win every contest you enter. It's the other corps that need to take them on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

I did not say there are no Blue Devil haters, I said it is more an online issue than in the stands. Case in point, on Thursday night some on FB and DCP said the response from the crowds to BD was muted at best. They was not my experience in Lucas Oil Stadium. The people around me were on their feet quite a few times during Blue Devils’ show, especially after “Moon River.” I also said nothing about the judging of Blue Devils or merits of the other corps. 

Ok cool.. cleared up