An intense frustration.

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

But every fanbase has "those people" whether in drum corps/sports etc. 

It's just when you are apart of a fanbase that has a successful team/corps etc, people look at the negative fans and jerks, latch onto them, and hold the entire fanbase accountable for their actions, in order to somehow take down the team that's winning. 

Take Alabama Football for instance. They are the Blue Devils of college football when it comes to winning championships etc.

99 Alabama fans could do great things in the community, and are productive members of society, no one would care. But let ONE Alabama fan do something negative, it would start an epic firestorm across social media of biblical proportions. Why. Because Alabama wins, majority of people are tired of seeing them winning, and if they can't stop the team, they go after the fanbase.

Same with BD in DCI. 

I don’t have much of a tether to college football and its culture of fandom, but I know that I’m always *annoyed* when I see Bama fans ‘cause they get the rep of being annoying and snooty😂 sorry Bama fans, that’s the stigma you always carry with you👀

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ashontheinternet said:

now,  i want to preface by stating that this is not a major issue here, rather elsewhere in the DCI community. with that out of the way, let us begin...

i have noticed a LOT (like, a concerning amount) of people claiming that somehow in some way, the judging in DCI is rigged towards a certain corps in blue. obviously, these claims are preposterous, but i can't help but get a little ticked off when i see people saying that BD is "robbing" other corps, or that BD is bribing judges or that DCI wont give them lower scores for some conspiratorial reason. 

i think it goes without saying that this is absolutely unacceptable as it fully discounts the talent, hard work, and dedication given by MMs and staff, but it seems to be an idea that is spreading at a rapid rate. it should not be tolerated but it is and it is creating a toxic and unfair ideology in the community.

anyways, that is my rant. i thought i should post it out to the ether to hear what others think, and maybe see another side to this story. 

people can't put personal bias or homerism aside. BD isn't my favorite show this year or many years, but they are the best total package out there and should be winning.

and really....it's not hard. they dont take a week and hide to work on that super secret ending. you get the skeleton in June, and they flesh it out all summer, and clean as they go, not lose time cleaning to add something new. they show you they can do something once, and move on, and not just repeat the same skills over and over. 

everyone complained after 09-10, and then 12 and 13 even thought Crown won. so DCI overhauled the sheets. and what did BD do? they set the record high score in 14. ( i'll argue 15 all day long however...should have been Crown).

Also...design team consistency. Coming up on 30 years together

so slotting is an easy out to bash, just like bad officiating in sports. "oh Alabama/Tom Brady gets the calls every time".

it's called fandom.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 5

I honestly have not seen that much BD hate here on DCP. I have also not seen many posts crying about how BD writes to the sheets or how the judges are paid off...or whatever. If nothing else the Blue Devils have been lauded quite a bit on DCP since the season started. Maybe on a site like Reddit or other social media this sort of thing may be taking place but I really haven't seen that much on DCP. 

I feel like this issue is coming up more so because someone wants to make a point, but DCP has been pretty darn kind to the Blue Devils this summer. It would be one thing if I saw thousands of negative posts but I have seen maybe 30 or 40 ALL SUMMER, and usually those are little quips and snide comments from people who a) have not seen them live, and b) who are jealous or do not understand judging. 

Let's give it a break. Blue Devils are viewed with much favor here on DCP, even by those who may not like the show but know when they see a fantastic performance. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Tim K said:

Full disclosure: I am a huge Boston Crusaders fan. My drum corps experience as a fan goes back to 1975, and I still believe 27th Lancers should have won in 1980 and no one commenting in this thread will change my mind. I am hoping for an upset tonight, but so too are fans of Bloo, and I am sure there are some Crown fans still holding on to the hope that judges with award them a title right here, right now. 

First of all I believe the Blue Devils “hate” is more of an online thing than a reality of people in the stands. There have been some moments, no question. I wasn’t in attendance but heard stories of Pasadena being pretty heated in 2007.  In 2008 many claimed that the applause and cheers of the crowd were more because Blue Devils lost than Phantom’s winning, but it’s pretty exciting for a corps to go from 3rd in prelims, 2nd in semi’s, and 1st at finals, so I don’t agree with that. Similar things were said in 2011 when Cadets won with “Angels and Demons.” The G7 threat did not win BD too many fans either, but with other corps such as Cadets, G7 anger was geared more towards its former director, Cavies and Phantom were no longer the threat they once were, Crown and Bloo had not yet won. SCV seems to have been unscathed from that situation. 2012 and 2013 were the last years I recall there was real animosity towards Blue Devils in the stands, not  just online. 2014 BD was a huge favorite. It happens. In 2017 they were loved. True, in 2019 people thought Bloo was robbed, and I agree to some extent, but I also know when two corps are scored so close, that’s going to be the reaction and fans of each corps will have opinions.

As I said earlier, I am a BAC fan. I hope for the best for Boston tonight. Crown and Bloo have a spot in my heart too. This does not mean I hate BD. If I critique BD online and there are reasons to do so, it does not mean I’m a hater. If I believe another coros is better and can defend my opinion, that does not mean I am a hater. If you believe Crown should be faring better and win the Ott or Bloo has a more GE packed show, it does not mean you hate BD either. This is competition and judging is subjective. There will be varying opinions. 

I don’t consider anyone who favors another corps to be a hater.  Not liking BD doesn’t make someone a hater.  Grumbling about slotting, or park and bark, or any of the DCI conspiracy theories isn’t being a hater. A negative commentary or critique doesn’t make someone a hater.  We conflate a difference of opinion with hating, when it simply isn’t. Hating is in the delivery. A lack of respect, mean, derogatory remarks. Hard to define, but most people know it when they see it.  

And best of luck to BAC tonight. Of course I want BD to win. But If BD gets beat, i hope it’s by BAC. They will have earned it, and there would be no shame losing to a better performance. 

Edited by DWW11
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Drum Corps Is Now a Bust said:

Let's get something straight about a situation that is rarely if ever discussed on fan sites like this. The success of the Blue Devils in the contemporary setting in which now live directly correlates to money. 

This is hardly a new phenomenon.  I'm old enough to remember a corps back in the late '80's early 90's that many hated because they had more financial resources at their disposal than their peers.  

This isn't a professional sports league where you can impose salary caps to level the playing field.   Though it might make things interesting if things worked that way.

As a fan unaffiliated with any currently existing corps, I really don't care who wins in any given year.  Taking nothing away from BD, because I see why they win year after year (hint: not politics,) but they're usually not my favorite show.  They'll win tonight, deservedly, but it won't be the show I'll watch over and over years from now.

Edited by Phillygwm

25 minutes ago, Matt_S said:

The above was posted an hour ago and there are already several more pages to the thread, so apologies if the discussion has moved on. I left this site back in 2010, because I thought BD had a pretty neat show and didn't want to come back to all the inevitable complaints. But 2012 I say close to the field for Finals, and that really drove home the difference between BD and everyone else. 

Obviously their talent is always through the roof. What I really noticed that year, though, was the total lack of filler. Every moment of the show was filled with an idea, and the design consistently drew your eyes to the next thing. There's no wasted movement, every action contributes to the flow of the show. It's a cohesion of design that no other corps ever consistently achieves. When they do, you notice it, like Vanguard in 18 or Bloo in 16.

I've been a fan for almost 25 years, and I used to be among those who were happy when anyone other than BD won. But man, sometimes it's okay just to enjoy excellence. I'm going to my first live show since 2019 tonight, and one of the highlights is going to be hearing that great wall of brass sound from BD. No one layers a chord quite like they do, and it's a treat.

The chords in dreams and nighthawks live was really something to behold. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ashontheinternet said:

now,  i want to preface by stating that this is not a major issue here, rather elsewhere in the DCI community. with that out of the way, let us begin...

i have noticed a LOT (like, a concerning amount) of people claiming that somehow in some way, the judging in DCI is rigged towards a certain corps in blue. obviously, these claims are preposterous, but i can't help but get a little ticked off when i see people saying that BD is "robbing" other corps, or that BD is bribing judges or that DCI wont give them lower scores for some conspiratorial reason. 

i think it goes without saying that this is absolutely unacceptable as it fully discounts the talent, hard work, and dedication given by MMs and staff, but it seems to be an idea that is spreading at a rapid rate. it should not be tolerated but it is and it is creating a toxic and unfair ideology in the community.

anyways, that is my rant. i thought i should post it out to the ether to hear what others think, and maybe see another side to this story. 

This might have been said before ( not going to read all the posts ) BUT....ever notice that when someone wants someone else to win " It was rigged " BUT when they win of course it wasn't rigged.....Seems  there's alot more of that going around lately. 

There are even those who claim " RIGGED " even before the results are in....lol  and then if someone ( or themselves actually win ) " then the conspiracy goes away 🙄

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I honestly have not seen that much BD hate here on DCP. I have also not seen many posts crying about how BD writes to the sheets or how the judges are paid off...or whatever. If nothing else the Blue Devils have been lauded quite a bit on DCP since the season started. Maybe on a site like Reddit or other social media this sort of thing may be taking place but I really haven't seen that much on DCP. 

I feel like this issue is coming up more so because someone wants to make a point, but DCP has been pretty darn kind to the Blue Devils this summer. It would be one thing if I saw thousands of negative posts but I have seen maybe 30 or 40 ALL SUMMER, and usually those are little quips and snide comments from people who a) have not seen them live, and b) who are jealous or do not understand judging. 

Let's give it a break. Blue Devils are viewed with much favor here on DCP, even by those who may not like the show but know when they see a fantastic performance. 

I will say since 2014, BD has gotten lots of love from DCP. This year I would say the majority have shown love. 

The trolls and haters normally show up in these threads at the major regionals, big shows like Broken Arrow, and the finals week threads. 

If BD holds on tonight, the ABBD crowd will be out in full force. 

And speaking of ABBD...........(And I am speaking for myself as a BD fan), wanting another corps to win doesn't make you ABBD. I associate with numerous people here on DCP that root for other corps and want to see those respective corps win tonight and other years. That's totally ok. It's also ok if BDs style isn't your cup of tea. 

To me........ABBD are the people that make up lies, contradictions, double standards about BD year after year, and never have any legit evidence or proof to back up their claims, because they are false and full of crap. 

Some people have said they don't see that stuff. Stick around tonight in the finals thread if BD wins. 

Not speaking directly to you JWillis, more in general. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1