An intense frustration.

Just now, DWW11 said:

Oh, come on. If the Devils had designed that prop and popped up through the holes, you would have laughed at “whack a devil”!   And i would have, too.   Sometimes the truth hurts. Sometimes it’s hard. But sometimes the truth is funny!

Actually no.  It's not funny.  And the fabric ties right into the show design, not to mention it has continually gotten great crowd response.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

*post removed. Not worth it. 

congrats to whatever group wins the dance competition tonight 

Edited by CFC1905

Another drama-queen BD post?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

It used to be bad here

Very true. I think from 2014 to now things have been better. I think I sometimes miss some of the late late night chatter that some are referring to, and frankly people shouldn't give those trolls any attention. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MBo1974 said:

Actually no.  It's not funny.  And the fabric ties right into the show design, not to mention it has continually gotten great crowd response.

I didn’t say the prop was funny. I didn’t say the fabric was funny. I didn’t say the crowd didn’t like it. I didn’t say any of that. What i said was the comment was funny.  And i thought it was. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, CFC1905 said:

It’s easy to write a show that hides mistakes, or standstill during any remotely difficult music. 

if you want to see what’s not easy, re-watch Four Corners. Those designers were not afraid of exposure. 

Designing is not about hiding, its about making your members shine. If you ever tried to design a show that wasnt lines arcs and boxes ( not that those are easy either )and did it well you would see how difficult it is from designing it to teaching it to performing it. 

Now with that said I do think a corps should be able to do what they choose, and I have seen a lot of variety and combination of movement and staging coupled with a variety of member responsibility

Something also doesn't have to be one's taste to be done well or appreciated. I have given the old fashioned eye roll in past years to certain shows only to  having some of them be my favorite at the end.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CFC1905 said:

In terms of demand and innovation, Blue Devils have never “raised the bar.”  At no point in their history were they known as the corps who had the hardest drill, or hardest music book. They are rarely ever the crowd favorite. 

They’ve figured out a way to churn out the same old crap year after year and do it very cleanly. It’s like a conveyor belt at a fish factory. Very efficient but it still smells like fish. 

Are you kidding me?!? BD has singlehandedly changed the activity multiple times. Go watch 1976, go watch 1994 (where they were the first corps to stage the color guard as a main focal point), go watch "Felliniesque". 

My goodness...know your history before you post. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, jsd said:

Are you kidding me?!? BD has singlehandedly changed the activity multiple times. Go watch 1976, go watch 1994 (where they were the first corps to stage the color guard as a main focal point), go watch "Felliniesque". 

My goodness...know your history before you post. 

One doesn't have to be a BD fan to recognize this...like change or not

• Like 4

Design numbers cap achievement. The competition is won at the design desk in October. Which does take weight off the performers by setting them up for success.  There’s no design by “we should really add 16 counts of (unknown) body work or something here”.

Now if you constantly get talent who doesn’t need to be taught, you spend less time teaching and more time refining and changing the show.  This is how we do it on Broadway. We don’t teach technique, we teach the steps of the show.  This is the difference. 

and much like Broadway, cash flow is king. 

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 2