An intense frustration.

2 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Design numbers cap achievement. The competition is won at the design desk in October. Which does take weight off the performers by setting them up for success.  There’s no design by “we should really add 16 counts of (unknown) body work or something here”.

Now if you constantly get talent who doesn’t need to be taught, you spend less time teaching and more time refining and changing the show.  This is how we do it on Broadway. We don’t teach technique, we teach the steps of the show.  This is the difference. 

this is a sign of a good designer. Before anyone says it, it doesn't mean not challenge them, explore, cheat or hide  etc etc.

Edited by GUARDLING

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Wasteful? It’s a business that makes money. It isn’t wasteful, it’s how to succeed.

And some orgs may feel it is success at their expense.  Other orgs don’t have or didn’t have the start up advantages BD and SCV have had.  Also calling it a business is somewhat telling.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

this is a sign of a good designer. Before anyone says it, it doesn't mean not challenge them, explore, cheat or hide  etc etc.

The team of Meehan, Chandler, Murphy, Glyde are Broadway level.  They collaborate well, and do it together.  Same as when you watch Hadestown, or Hamilton, or any other long running hit. 

but also the talent is incredibly high waking in the door. There’s little teaching of fundamentals and it’s all about teaching show components. 

Edited by C.Holland
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, MBo1974 said:

I know this will be unpopular here (don't care), but this year (and others) there is a statement I am seeing from the judging community that it really doesn't matter how clean and well designed x corps gets, they won't beat BD.  

For the record, this is not a knock on BD at all.  I have no hate for them.  But when we have a corps like BAC is solid in every single caption and has had some stellar runs against BD, it does beg the question of what they exactly have to do to win, other than not be wearing Blue and be from Cali.  And again, this is not a knock on BD, but more the judging community.

They prefer BD's approach to design and movement. Watching these two - big difference I see is MOVEMENT of the players. Guards both move terrifically, but if you watch the brass or drums BD is way better and more developed - it's not close. Movement people is where BAC needs to invest next - I'm talking dance people.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CFC1905 said:

In terms of demand and innovation, Blue Devils have never “raised the bar.”  At no point in their history were they known as the corps who had the hardest drill, or hardest music book. They are rarely ever the crowd favorite. 

They’ve figured out a way to churn out the same old crap year after year and do it very cleanly. It’s like a conveyor belt at a fish factory. Very efficient but it still smells like fish. 

The Blue Devils led the way in brass excellence.  They were innovative in that they brought a new music style to the field and did it very well.  Jazz done well. They brought color to the field.  They brought excellence in percussion and developed the importance of the front ensemble.  If you can’t recognize this, you haven’t paid attention.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, C.Holland said:

The team of Meehan, Chandler, Murphy, Glyde are Broadway level.  They collaborate well, and do it together.  Same as when you watch Hadestown, or Hamilton, or any other long running hit. 

Don't forget ScoJo and Todd Ryan...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jsd said:

Don't forget ScoJo and Todd Ryan...

Yeah. it’s a long list in that design meeting. All get their time to chat moment to moment. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

The Blue Devils led the way in brass excellence.  They were innovative in that they brought a new music style to the field and did it very well.  Jazz done well. They brought color to the field.  They brought excellence in percussion and developed the importance of the front ensemble.  If you can’t recognize this, you haven’t paid attention.

Yes, like them or not.. and them and others merely open a door for others to explore and even surpass.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

There should be no illusion that resources gets you success. This is true in everything.

But it is also true that you can lose those resources by not being good business people. Sadly many corps have proven this over the years.

It is also true that resources don’t mean excellence. And those orgs that squandered their resources on silliness and vanity paid a heavy price. Most no longer exist.

Blue Devils are the best org in DCI. Period. This is a fact. And that has led to unparalleled success. Most orgs simply cannot and will not compete with BD on the field because they cannot compete with the resources that their org can afford and retain.

The best instructors and the most talented marching members are always going to go to the orgs that have the most and best opportunities for success and have the most stability.

Having resources is an outgrowth of emphasizing the things that bring stability. Winning comes from this, and it also makes it possible.

How has that Bingo resource worked out for BD over the years?  Not all orgs has a bingo to rely on.

I’m more of an optimist in that the BD formula, while very “sheets” friendly, can be bested, even though it takes a lot for a corps to beat them consistently, there are of course many recent examples. I know many are saying the best of BD is yet to come, but are we saying Boston, Bloo, SCV, and Crown are the best they’re ever gonna be this year? with Boston’s upward trajectory, and those other 3 corps’ history, it would suggest otherwise. I’m looking forward to see what designs and talent these corps continue to put out moving forward, it’s gonna be a CRAZY next few years of drum corps if I were to be a predictor👀

• Like 1