An intense frustration.

3 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Yeah. it’s a long list in that design meeting. All get their time to chat moment to moment. 

I love the fact that Brandon Olander has been attached to ScoJo's hip this summer. I hope one day Brandon will succeed Scott and help keep the BD train rolling. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

The Blue Devils led the way in brass excellence.  They were innovative in that they brought a new music style to the field and did it very well.  Jazz done well. They brought color to the field.  They brought excellence in percussion and developed the importance of the front ensemble.  If you can’t recognize this, you haven’t paid attention.

I mean yes to brass and jazz done well, but I'm not sure I get the front ensemble comments. In the 80s Cadets then Star seemed way out front of the activity, now IMO it's Bluecoats - and programming the percussion ensemble as a whole was I felt Hannum leading the way, then Cavaliers. BD has always been very strong, but...

Edited by George Dixon
typo
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

George, the NFL fined them for cheating. They don’t even deny it.

Ah no.  It was for ignoring a specific letter telling them not to film.  Actually not for cheating.   What everyone thinks they were doing…they hadn’t done.  The ball inflation thing too.  Walked back by the nfl this past year.  The point is,  you think people have blue blinders.  People have all kinds of blinders.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Yes, like them or not.. and them and others merely open a door for others to explore and even surpass.

Exactly.  Even recent brass line body movement.  How many do the BD ensemble body sway/jiggle.  I don’t even know what to call it.  I first noticed it in Metamorph.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

How has that Bingo resource worked out for BD over the years?  Not all orgs has a bingo to rely on.

Perhaps others should develop a revenue stream - just a thought. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CFC1905 said:

In terms of demand and innovation, Blue Devils have never “raised the bar.”  At no point in their history were they known as the corps who had the hardest drill, or hardest music book. They are rarely ever the crowd favorite. 

They’ve figured out a way to churn out the same old crap year after year and do it very cleanly. It’s like a conveyor belt at a fish factory. Very efficient but it still smells like fish. 

What! Why would they be the Standard if they haven't done any of those throughout their history ? broaden your perception because there's is a narrow mind, one way some of you look at demand. BD does Nothing easy!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LabMaster said:

Exactly.  Even recent brass line body movement.  How many do the BD ensemble body sway/jiggle.  I don’t even know what to call it.  I first noticed it in Metamorph.

and thankfully brass lines have gotten so much better at it. Quite impressive today verses when body sculpting began..YIKES...lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I’m more of an optimist in that the BD formula, while very “sheets” friendly, can be bested, even though it takes a lot for a corps to beat them consistently, there are of course many recent examples. I know many are saying the best of BD is yet to come, but are we saying Boston, Bloo, SCV, and Crown are the best they’re ever gonna be this year? with Boston’s upward trajectory, and those other 3 corps’ history, it would suggest otherwise. I’m looking forward to see what designs and talent these corps continue to put out moving forward, it’s gonna be a CRAZY next few years of drum corps if I were to be a predictor👀

I think it's based off the fact that it was said that BD is very young this year and that's true. Look at the 2022 prediction thread, most had BD finishing 4th because they were so young and allegedly inexperienced, or because they didn't tour last year (which i found hilarious and utterly ridiculous).

So I think the consensus is that if BD is this good with a young nucleus of performers (by BD standards), wait until next year when they are all seasoned. I think there is a little truth to that. 

Of course BAC/Cadets/Cavies/Bloo/Crown/SCV will all have a say in this. They will all even be better than this year. 

• Like 3

There’s an awful lot of carping here about money. Specifically, i was stuck by the poster who complained about BD having so much and then, in the same post, says he doesn’t donate to ANY corps, because he doesn’t approve of money in drum corps!  How does that help with parity?

i am SURE that the BDPA worked hard to bring in and to keep their big donors. And to run the organization efficiently. Money doesn’t just fall out of the sky for anyone. 

And winning begets donations, just as it begets attracting talent, in MM and staff.  What are they supposed to do with those donations?  Refuse it?  

They support 4 corps, and the wind ensemble. And prob groups I don’t even know about  it’s not like it all goes to the A corps  

I don’t know what the answer is, but I don’t see how you penalize an organization for being too successful!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

And some orgs may feel it is success at their expense.  Other orgs don’t have or didn’t have the start up advantages BD and SCV have had.  Also calling it a business is somewhat telling.

Well if you don’t run it we a business you won’t have a corps. Plenty of defunct corps can attest to that.

• Like 2