An intense frustration.

5 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

What is your point? DCI is a trade org, not a franchise system. As such, members run their own org by their own terms.

My point was obvious.  Did you miss it?  I said nothing about DCI.  I said BD has had the good fortune many orgs do not have as their start up resource.  A bingo.  Benefitted by Cali. laws for a resource.  This enabled BD to have the jump on other orgs, not in Cali.  All the power to them.  But you can’t think that a failed org was due to only fiscal mismanagement.  Many were, no doubt.  But they were also behind the eight ball from the beginning and unless they had stellar resources and manageability of the resources, they were catching up.  Star of Indiana showed that if the resources ($) was ther, success came quickly. Other corps went through a lot of hardships but have shown success can be achieved with smart planning. When a corps can get on the same level as BD they can compete.  It’s not easy because BD is the standard and the target.  There may be haters, and I’m not one but it’s more like envy. But no one will admit that. 

Just now, George Dixon said:

new Cadets.org doing the same! Still think they need to get out of Allentown, ZERO money there, plus burnt bridges

"Well, we're sitting here in Allentown..."

-Billy Joel

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I don't understand how people cannot just learn to appreciate and respect what ALL of the corps do. I am not a fan of MANY of BD's shows over the years. That being said, what they do, they do EXCEPTIONALLY well. Like it or not, they discovered the best formula

The whole idea of designing to the sheets being the easy way out is akin to saying that prepping for an interview is cheating. If you know what they are essentially going to ask and you want to "win" the job, why in the h&*( would you NOT prepare to give yourself the best possible advantage? 

immaturity & bias??? just a hunch

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

new Cadets.org doing the same! Still think they need to get out of Allentown, ZERO money there, plus burnt bridges

That would be a wise move.  FWIW, BAC returned to its roots actually.  Back to Hyde Park. Maybe there is opportunity back in Garfield?

• Like 1

Just now, LabMaster said:

That would be a wise move.  FWIW, BAC returned to its roots actually.  Back to Hyde Park. Maybe there is opportunity back in Garfield?

not much there either - I mean gangs but...

My other half and I have had many discussions about the dominance of the Blue Devils. 

Blue Devils are the Ivy League of DCI.  Period.  It’s where the Best of the Best want to march. 

If you want to win a medal, you work your butt off to march at the Blue Devils. 

Blue Devils plan their season very strategically.    Couple of examples would be … They always stay at MTSU for the Master’s show.  They are there 2-3 days and practice and practices.  They usually win the Murfreesboro show.  After winning at Allentown on Friday night, they rarely march another show until Prelims in Indy.

This comes down to … what’s the point of a competitive activity when 1 Corps more than likely wins most of the time?

I personally think it’s bad for the activity.  I said it about Garfield in 80’s, Star of Indiana in the early 90’s and Cavies in the early 2000’s and now BD since 2009. 

Until BD’s design team breaks up, they will be the favorites. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Agree.  What has helped BAC is creating a large and diversified BOD.  It allows for many varied opportunities to source assistance.  There are many career types included from many different corporate backgrounds.  A lot of trees to tap.

There is an example I look at for groups to achieve success.  There is a large crew for aircraft carriers.  Tasks are minor and focused in that each crew member has one job to excel at.  No one is steering the ship, flying the planes, landing the planes and cooking food. One person, one job.  But the job done well, contributes to a well run ship that competes a mission successfully.  In a  n environment line DC, expecting a few people to do well,  what many people actually should be doing, puts an unreasonable burden on the few, lowering tremendously the expectation of success.  Creating a foundation, constructed with an appropriate number of capable successful people, will provide a reasonable expectation of success, coupled with intelligent planning (and vision) checks & balances and visibility will put orgs on a path to success.

just my $.02.

What you say is true, but a I would also add to what you say. Boston Crusaders growth was not overnight. I began hearing some rumblings about great things on the horizon about 2009. Nothing concrete but more than “Wait till next year.” In 2011 when CYO Nationals Tribute began, it seemed clearly targeted at alums of corps, bands, and drill teams of the CYO, Eastern Mass. and Mayflower circuits, getting them on board. East Coast Classic became an alumni reunion for many members of BAC. Donors based were developed about this time and corporate donors were sought. In 2015 more concrete plans were announced in conjunction with the 75th anniversary. Yes the amazing  staff has created great shows, but much more happened behind the scenes than assembling talented folks after the 2016 season.

42 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

If you think of it only in terms of a business.  It is a business of running a non profit youth org. is it not?  

Every successful non-profit runs its org as a business.

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

What you say is true, but a I would also add to what you say. Boston Crusaders growth was not overnight. I began hearing some rumblings about great things on the horizon about 2009. Nothing concrete but more than “Wait till next year.” In 2011 when CYO Nationals Tribute began, it seemed clearly targeted at alums of corps, bands, and drill teams of the CYO, Eastern Mass. and Mayflower circuits, getting them on board. East Coast Classic became an alumni reunion for many members of BAC. Donors based were developed about this time and corporate donors were sought. In 2015 more concrete plans were announced in conjunction with the 75th anniversary. Yes the amazing  staff has created great shows, but much more happened behind the scenes than assembling talented folks after the 2016 season.

You are absolutely correct.  The BAC build to this point began a long while back.  The intention was that once the foundation was in place the next steps could occur.  Then the next, then the next.  Patience & determination is needed. In my industry the mantra is; plan well, execute rigorously.