An intense frustration.

33 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

My point was obvious.  Did you miss it?  I said nothing about DCI.  I said BD has had the good fortune many orgs do not have as their start up resource.  A bingo.  Benefitted by Cali. laws for a resource.  This enabled BD to have the jump on other orgs, not in Cali.  All the power to them.  But you can’t think that a failed org was due to only fiscal mismanagement.  Many were, no doubt.  But they were also behind the eight ball from the beginning and unless they had stellar resources and manageability of the resources, they were catching up.  Star of Indiana showed that if the resources ($) was ther, success came quickly. Other corps went through a lot of hardships but have shown success can be achieved with smart planning. When a corps can get on the same level as BD they can compete.  It’s not easy because BD is the standard and the target.  There may be haters, and I’m not one but it’s more like envy. But no one will admit that. 

Every org is different. Many have unique advantages others do not. 

If you want to be successful you build a business plan. If you don’t have bingo you do other things. Or you are happy being a feeder corps for the perennial finalists.

I’m in Nashville, heart of the SEC. Vanderbilt  will never compete with Alabama and the other mega state institutions in football. They have a student body of 4,000 kids who mostly leave the area after graduation. Donors at Vandy don’t donate to build a new football stadium; they donate to Vanderbilt Hospital, where they are solving the AIDS crisis.

But Vandy has the most dominant baseball program in the NCAA. They rout Alabama more often than not. They play to their advantages.

I don’t despise BD for being successful.

I only tire of their formula and that the activity continues to reward it.

5 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

That said, if and when DCI changes it’s scoring methodology—the top orgs won’t change. 

BD will adapt immediately....that's what they do.  "A rules change?  Challenge accepted.   Now, how do we take advantage of this?"

As for the formula...I will point out that prior to Cadets breaking that mold in 84, EVERYONE had the same formula...opener, production, perc feature, concert, ballad closer.  The order may have varied a bit, but that was pretty much it.

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Until it’s no longer successful.  Or forgets it’s mission.  

Or doesn’t.

5 hours ago, CFC1905 said:

In terms of demand and innovation, Blue Devils have never “raised the bar.”  At no point in their history were they known as the corps who had the hardest drill, or hardest music book. They are rarely ever the crowd favorite. 

They’ve figured out a way to churn out the same old crap year after year and do it very cleanly. It’s like a conveyor belt at a fish factory. Very efficient but it still smells like fish. 

Then you obviously haven’t watched rd. Your post is moronic

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Every org is different. Many have unique advantages others do not. 

If you want to be successful you build a business plan. If you don’t have bingo you do other things. Or you are happy being a feeder corps for the perennial finalists.

I’m in Nashville, heart of the SEC. Vanderbilt  will never compete with Alabama and the other mega state institutions in football. They have a student body of 4,000 kids who mostly leave the area after graduation. Donors at Vandy don’t donate to build a new football stadium; they donate to Vanderbilt Hospital, where they are solving the AIDS crisis.

But Vandy has the most dominant baseball program in the NCAA. They rout Alabama more often than not. They play to their advantages.

I don’t despise BD for being successful.

I only tire of their formula and that the activity continues to reward it.

I disagree and will always disagree with your philosophy that having money equates or should equate with success. By the way, you keep using the word "success." This word has multiple meanings. How are you defining it, because right now, money is what wins championships in DCI. So, just using BD as an example, when do you have enough championships to be "successful" and what's long term payoff. Because, in my opinion, BD is pursuing championships as means to an end and nothing more.

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

This is whole deal is about money.  Look at the back wall in the stadium tonight.  That is what this is all about. 

Yes, you could say the same about Hollywood movies. What's your point? Trust me, more people go to see bad movies than they go to see DCI shows. Hollywood is about money. They produce product to make money. How is DCI any different in this basic similarity?  

2 minutes ago, Boybugle63 said:

They usually win the Murfreesboro show.  After winning at Allentown on Friday night, they rarely march another show until Prelims in Indy.

In BDs current dominant reign (2007-2022), 2022 is the first year they didn't perform in a show after Allentown. So with the exception of this past week, your comment is incorrect.

2007, late season shows were on the West Coast due to finals being in Pasadena CA.

2008 BD was at the Massillon OH show after Allentown.

2009-2010 BD was at the Buffalo NY show after Allentown.

2011-2012 BD was at the East Rutherford NJ show after Allentown.

2013-2018 BD was at the Buffalo NY TOC show after Allentown.

2019 BD was at the Pittsburgh show after Allentown.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Drum Corps Is Now a Bust said:

I disagree and will always disagree with your philosophy that having money equates or should equate with success. By the way, you keep using the word "success." This word has multiple meanings. How are you defining it, because right now, money is what wins championships in DCI. So, just using BD as an example, when do you have enough championships to be "successful" and what's long term payoff. Because, in my opinion, BD is pursuing championships as means to an end and nothing more.

Financial success and creative success are not mutually exclusive.

And it is inarguable that to be successful in any competitive activity you must be well funded. ANY competitive activity.

BD is an organization of brilliant people. To say they are only doing this to make money is imho totally incongruous with everything I have ever seen or heard about their leadership. Are they crazy like a fox? Yes. And I am always articulate about my disappointment with this.

But to even infer that the organization is cynical in how and why they do what they do is really beyond the pale.

• Like 2