An intense frustration.

Just now, MikeRapp said:

Financial success and creative success are not mutually exclusive.

And it is inarguable that to be successful in any competitive activity you must be well funded. ANY competitive activity.

BD is an organization of brilliant people. To say they are only doing this to make money is imho totally incongruous with everything I have ever seen or heard about their leadership. Are they crazy like a fox? Yes. And I am always articulate about my disappointment with this.

But to even infer that the organization is cynical in how and why they do what they do is really beyond the pale.

You actually didn't answer the objection I raised but deflected. IMHO opinion, if isn't about the money then BD staff go to another well established corps for 1/4 or 1/8 the pay.

Just now, Drum Corps Is Now a Bust said:

You actually didn't answer the objection I raised but deflected. IMHO opinion, if isn't about the money then BD staff go to another well established corps for 1/4 or 1/8 the pay.

Wrong.

You are just wrong. The two are not mutually exclusive.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Drum Corps Is Now a Bust said:

Let's get something straight about a situation that is rarely if ever discussed on fan sites like this. The success of the Blue Devils in the contemporary setting in which now live directly correlates to money. It's easy to raise the bar with the money BD has to throw out year after year and show after show. Most drum corps don't have the financial resources of BD to buy championship instruction and talent to match. It's about envy and jealousy for me. It's about who has the money in modern DCI. Money now determines who does well consistently and who rarely if ever will. There are non-profit organizations that attempt to achieve work much more important and serious than BD does and that attempt to fulfill their missions with much less financial resources than BD brings in year after year. My point is that money is buys championship and consistent placement in modern DCI more any other single factor. Raise the bar equates to spend more money.

This is why DCI is so infatuated with the Calgary Stampede Showband. Check out this link about their founder (1971) and sole supporter.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-stampede-money-corporate-structure-foundation-1.4735486

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

People should stay excited for what’s to come even if BD has that Thanos “Dread it, run from it, destiny arrives all the same”

So if BD is "I am...inevitable,"  who's "And I....am....Iron Man (*snap*)."   BAC maybe?

• Like 1

Okay. Fellow Blue Devils fan here and this is my take:

Yeah, I do have a sneaky feeling that some judges might have a BD bias. But do I care? No. The judges' ruling does not affect my enjoyment of the show. Academy is one of my favorite shows this year, and the judges aren't really giving them the time of day. My favorite Blue Devils show? The Beat My Heart Skipped. The one where they DIDN'T win. The scoring an judging is fun to predict and keep up with, but at the end of the day, the judges don't speak for everyone in the stands. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Drum Corps Is Now a Bust said:

Money is definitely part of the equation.  And what prevented any other corps from building a solid business model and organization as the Blue Devils have to bring in their funding?  

Absolutely nothing, so don't hate, imitate. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

So if BD is "I am...inevitable,"  who's "And I....am....Iron Man (*snap*)."   BAC maybe?

[remembers BDB's show title this year]

*gasp*

53 minutes ago, Boybugle63 said:

My other half and I have had many discussions about the dominance of the Blue Devils. 

Blue Devils are the Ivy League of DCI.  Period.  It’s where the Best of the Best want to march. 

If you want to win a medal, you work your butt off to march at the Blue Devils. 

Blue Devils plan their season very strategically.    Couple of examples would be … They always stay at MTSU for the Master’s show.  They are there 2-3 days and practice and practices.  They usually win the Murfreesboro show.  After winning at Allentown on Friday night, they rarely march another show until Prelims in Indy.

This comes down to … what’s the point of a competitive activity when 1 Corps more than likely wins most of the time?

I personally think it’s bad for the activity.  I said it about Garfield in 80’s, Star of Indiana in the early 90’s and Cavies in the early 2000’s and now BD since 2009. 

Until BD’s design team breaks up, they will be the favorites. 

i agree that it could be harmful to the activity. obviously scores mean little in the overall experience, but i have seen a small minority of MM at corps who are crushed to see BD win over them, especially if they were tailing close behind all year. i can see how it can hurt moral and drive people away. personally, i like the competition. drives me to want to do better. keeps me from slacking off, lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Wrong.

You are just wrong. The two are not mutually exclusive.

You can say I'm wrong all day, it doesn't mean I am. Does every person in DCI follow the money? Nope. Do most? Yes and would for the "right" opportunity. And you again did not address the substance of my last critique. Pursuing championships as a means to an end using money to do it is empty and shallow. If this is what competition is or is supposed to be, then count me out.

In an earlier post, you suggested that DCI shouldn't be "for profit" because the activity shouldn't be about pursuing the money. Yet, you seem to have no problem suggesting that the pursuit of championships as a means to an end using ridiculous amounts of money is just fine. I find this perspective seemingly contradictory