An intense frustration.

Just now, MikeRapp said:

Leaders innovate. 

IMHO

BD really had some of the biggest innovation in the activity beginning in 2010…. it was not received well.

Now, I think BD really pushes the envelope in hornline choreography (SCV does great here too and Bloo isn’t far off). They modernized it completely at brought fresh and organic writing to what had been more classically based ballet. I believe the same about their staging.

It’s true that in the macro sense, BD isn’t innovating. We don’t see them leading in new frontiers to sound design. We don’t see revolutionary costuming. We don’t see the next big thing. I’ll give you that. But I believe these kinds of things really happen once or twice a decade, and it’s not always the corps that wins.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

It used to be about the Cavaliers and before THAT Cadets. And Star of course "was the best corps money can buy" and now it's "Buying a Championship" 

Over in the NFL it was about Brady and the Patriots - cause just like BD they were cheating somehow, something along the lines of filming others, or inflating their balls differently...

It's called petty jealousy - nothing more, nothing less. Part of being a champion is growing some thicker skin - learning to just roll your eyes and walk away, vs. reacting... 

yeah but New England was cheating. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, MidWAmericanArts said:

BD really had some of the biggest innovation in the activity beginning in 2010…. it was not received well.

Now, I think BD really pushes the envelope in hornline choreography (SCV does great here too and Bloo isn’t far off). They modernized it completely at brought fresh and organic writing to what had been more classically based ballet. I believe the same about their staging.

It’s true that in the macro sense, BD isn’t innovating. We don’t see them leading in new frontiers to sound design. We don’t see revolutionary costuming. We don’t see the next big thing. I’ll give you that. But I believe these kinds of things really happen once or twice a decade, and it’s not always the corps that wins.

100% agree with this take. My wish is that BD did push the boundaries more, because the activity would be better for it. But I don’t have to pay their bills.

• Like 2

The best thing to happen to DCI 20 years ago was Carolina Crown, and then when they won a title. CC set a wholly different bar for show design and brass arrangements. They literally changed the entire activity, and established a powerhouse in the eastern seaboard.

Then Bluecoats changed the whole activity again with Tilt, and then DSU. Look at how costuming and staging has changed in the entire activity—that is innovation!

Where BD has had a massive impact is integrating guard into the show itself. They treat all people on the field as actors in a stage play. Now all corps do this, look at Crown, Blue Stars, Bloo and Boston. They all followed BD’s lead.

I am just tired of the BD devices. The use of foreign language narration no one even understands, the scatter drills, the constant references to dreams, the predictable staging. There is NOTHING wrong with this. I just would love to see BD do something really new and different. But that is 100% on me.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

George, the NFL fined them for cheating. They don’t even deny it.

lol I'm a Ravens fan - I get the fine, but they didn't have any wins expunged, did they? Your reaction is more than somewhat proving my point, btw. Feel free to change my example in your mind to something else, when someone wins "too much" allegations of cheating crop up practically instantly - it's part of being a sore loser. JMO

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

100% agree with this take. My wish is that BD did push the boundaries more, because the activity would be better for it. But I don’t have to pay their bills.

While I love BD and they’re often my favorite corps (come to think of it, the last time they were my favorite was actually 2017)…

I agree. The activity is better right here, right now because of corps pushing the boundaries. It’s ok to not like the Bluecoats, but they’re truly the best at innovating in the activity (RHRN)

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

The best thing to happen to DCI 20 years ago was Carolina Crown, and then when they won a title. CC set a wholly different bar for show design and brass arrangements. They literally changed the entire activity, and established a powerhouse in the eastern seaboard.

Then Bluecoats changed the whole activity again with Tilt

I don't think either of these "changed the whole activity" - they were INFLUENCIAL

• Like 1